PDA

View Full Version : What do yall think about the Wilson ProStaff Classic 6.1 95

weeman123
04-08-2007, 06:26 AM
I think it's a great racquet.

ericsson
04-08-2007, 06:28 AM
indeed it is but one downside, it's bloody stiff...

Big Boris
04-08-2007, 07:47 AM
I play with them. Really good if you are on your game, but I agree they are a little to stiff - to provide access to touch shots and extreme topspin. And they are also just a little to heavy to be a good platform for SW2 customisation. In addition some string brands tend to break at the frame of my 16/18 model.

But on the other hand they are really good for bread and butter serve, volley and returns, which is half the game.

dr_punk
04-08-2007, 10:02 AM
really great i think, I've only played with the classic OS stretch and it was a bit stiff but control and serves were great. But the topspin felt like a friday (it was great)

Craig Sheppard
04-08-2007, 10:07 AM
The best racquet I've used, period. Too bad they discontinued it and none of the versions that came after have come even close to being as good as the original.

SteveI
04-08-2007, 10:22 AM
I think it's a great racquet.

Great frame.. and you need to be a fine player to get the best out of that frame. It is also quite stiff.. but some versions seemed to be softer (white vs black buttcap etc)... Built to last also... like a tank.

Steve

fgs
04-08-2007, 11:16 AM
i still have one. great frame but too stiff for these old bones now.
the interesting thing is that this stick has sort of a "playable" stiffness, as opposed to some other sticks (babs, head) that have the same stiffness reading but display an absolute lack of touch.

SteveI
04-08-2007, 11:21 AM
i still have one. great frame but too stiff for these old bones now.
the interesting thing is that this stick has sort of a "playable" stiffness, as opposed to some other sticks (babs, head) that have the same stiffness reading but display an absolute lack of touch.

Hi,

That is a very good point.... the 6.1 seems to be able to produce great touch shots.. whereas some of the newer frames with the same stiffness rating do not impress in the regard.

Steve

fgs
04-08-2007, 11:57 AM
steve i,
yes, it's a pitty that they don't make this sort of frames today any more. the only frame i get the same touch with is the nblade i'm currently playing. i played a year with the n6.1 95, and really did well and liked that frame, but from the touch it never came close to the "ole" pro staff classic 6.1 95. the weird thing is that i get the same touch from the 106 blade (the 98blade was touchy too) which is a lot flexier than the ps classic.
i haven't played the k-factors yet, some are raving about, they'll probably hit this part of the world in a couple of months. i'm not in the market for any new racquet since my blades really leave no wishes open, but i'll try them just out of curiosity, to see if wilson managed to produce yet another stiff but touchy frame.

Princegod
04-08-2007, 11:58 AM
How elbow friendly is the the Classic 6.1? Anyone have any problems after using it for awhile? The stiffness rating has always scared me away from trying it.

fgs
04-08-2007, 12:16 PM
princegod,
if you're in shape, move well, set up correctly and mainly hit the sweetspot with a nice long, fast and loopy swing you wouldn't care less about this stick being elbowfriendly. on the other hand it's a lot elbowfriendlier than a pure drive - i can play with it through an entire hitting session (usually 2hrs) without having problems and being fit the next day (i have some lead on it too!), but i couldn't play the pure drive (admitedly strung with ballistic polymono) more than 20 minutes. it's stiff but somehow not jarring. it's also stiff but somehow touchy. give it a try - it's really fun to play with. but if you want to play competitively it's obsolete due to the high weight.

thejackal
04-08-2007, 12:32 PM
my dad still uses it. his 6.1 has a heavier handle and is very headlight (maybe a bit under 13oz, ~14pt hl). he hits better with my n6-1 95s but likes the psc a lot. i dont play with it at all, since i dont like the setup much.

vic9
04-08-2007, 12:36 PM
It's a very headlight and maneuverable racquet for it's heavy weight. I've never had any problems with the elbow just rallying around & hammering away with it for long periods of time. It feels quite crisp with a 17 gauge string. Thicker, softer strings can tone it down a bit.

jace112
04-08-2007, 12:38 PM
Stiff frame, not very confortable. Small sweetspot. If you're on good day, that's fine.

nickb
04-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Solid as a rock, as others have said great touch and serves big too. One of the best rackets ever made IMO but my arm just could not take prolonged use of it. They are also very hard to break and seem to last forever!

Venetian
04-08-2007, 01:00 PM
I use it. It's quite heavy and takes some getting used to, but you can return just about any heavy shot someone throws at you.

AndrewD
04-08-2007, 03:14 PM
Personally, I think it's the best racquet Wilson ever made - yes, including the PS85. Serves brilliantly, great at net, excellent from the baseline and suits any style of player from serve-volleyer to baseline basher.

thejackal
04-08-2007, 03:35 PM
i just dont like its feel. its a bit too jarring for my taste, so i dare not use poly in it. the n6-1 95 is perfect in terms of stiffness IMO

mitchell_ota
04-08-2007, 03:41 PM
I also think that Wilson had a real winner with the PSC 6.1. It was my second racquet I used and I learned how to play tennis with it. It took me a very long time to find anything I liked better, and there's still things about it I can't replicate with the newer racquets (the extra solid feel along with great touch). It always performed regardless what I was trying to do at the time (hitting from the baseline, or up at net).

fgs
04-08-2007, 03:44 PM
the jackal,
when the pro staff classic 6.1 was "born", noone would be talking of poly. that really is a combination that can't work - unless you're willing to hurt yourself. played with a soft multi like the nxt tour, you won't feel it's stiffness. "modern" frames feel stiffer even with soft multis - that's the awkward and intriguing thing about this stick.

vkartikv
04-08-2007, 04:00 PM
Actually it belies its stiffness index #. It certainly does not play like a 72 flex frame. Much better weight distribution than the nsix ones and very solid on volleys - once again better than the nsix ones. I thought the 18x20s suited my flat style a lot better than the 16x18s.

jasonbourne
04-08-2007, 06:16 PM
I used this racket (white base-cap) for at least 10yrs starting in early 90s. I have an all-court 5.0 game and never experienced any arm or shoulder problems or pains. I have tried to poly on them and it helps me control my shots better with the massive spin generated with polys.

Positives for me were the powerful serves, OHs and penetrating return of serves.

Negatives for me were they are too powerful and ate through strings too fast. Polys helped this, but by the time I realized this I preferred the n90.

fuzz nation
04-08-2007, 07:03 PM
Couldn't believe it myself when I found out just how stiff these frames are. I've used them for several years and never had a twinge in the arm or shoulder, even stringing them right up to 65 lbs with syn gut. I've never found anything that could top the 6.1 Classic for serve and volleying or doubles work.

I found big success from the baseline in recent years with more flexible racquets and although I'd rather not use different ones for singles and doubles, I still fall back on my old Prostaffs when my more flexible stroke machines aren't giving me good results at the net. They really deliver superior touch and also offer a rare combination of good stability with good maneuverability.

Anton
04-09-2007, 09:47 PM
IMO Great racket...if you can man handle 12+ oz and keep the ball from flying away at the same time. It's a stiff frame and actually has a lot of power once swung.

This racket once in motion almost swings itself, there is however difficulty in correcting the course you've committed to - so you better be at the right place and at the right time for every date with that ball.

On returns and volleys, words like "immovable" and "wall" come to mind, this is one solid son of a gun would not let even 300mph balls so much as send a shudder through it...that is assuming you were able to get it to the right place on time.

Serves are big with this one - the momentum of this heavy racket really makes you feel like you got a rocket launcher on your shoulder. BUT the second serves may be inconsistent because again the motions are somewhat tough to correct.

The Newer ncode 95 Prostaffs tried to address these shortcomings but IMO have traded away too much of the good stuff in process.

All and all I love this racket to play with for half an hour - after that the fatigue sets in and i start to feel agitated tring to keep up the pace - maybe a well fit 170lb body is just not good enough to wield this one.

gvanzky
04-10-2007, 10:09 AM
one of the best racquet ever from power, touch and stability. the only reason that i switch to a newer racquet when i was still younger was the looks and i think i look cool with it;). but i still keep on going back to my old ps 6.1 classic . yes! i agree that this racquet is stiff, but i can't really feel the stiffness compare to some of the newer models even if they are rated @ 61 of their stiffness compare to 72. now that i'm older, i'm feeling it already on my arms, specially on my shoulder. maybe it's because i'm not as fit as i was before. now, even my nephew is loving my racquet. he is putting back his racquet in the bag and start using my old ps 6.1 classic. surely this racquet will be missed!

SlapShot
04-10-2007, 10:40 AM
I've got 4 of 'em now - 3 white buttcap and one black. It serves HUGE - my kick has never been better.

It is definitely a stiff racquet, but it bothers my arm less than my Prestiges did, and I'm playing better tennis. I was using a multi/poly hybrid in it (multi in the main), but it ate through that in 7 hours and I don't want to burn through 4 racquets in a weekend tourney. I currently have one left with that hybrid on it, but I'm also trying out Gosen OG Micro 17 and Price Perfection, both strung at 64.

It definitely plays softer than the 71 RA, and I have had no trouble with it during my switch (I had a tender elbow about 6 months ago).

dr_punk
04-10-2007, 10:48 AM
played again with this racquet yesterday... after a couple of sessions with the PS 85, i really got into the mechanics and motion of this racquet, and its quite exquisite

SlapShot
04-10-2007, 11:09 AM
played again with this racquet yesterday... after a couple of sessions with the PS 85, i really got into the mechanics and motion of this racquet, and its quite exquisite

Do you have a 6.1, too?

The 6.1 is a completely different tool than the 6.0 - much stiffer, more powerful, and a bit heavier to swing.

dr_punk
04-10-2007, 11:25 AM
Do you have a 6.1, too?

The 6.1 is a completely different tool than the 6.0 - much stiffer, more powerful, and a bit heavier to swing.

no, my coach owns almost a dozen. He has the oversize stretch models and it IS a little heavier to swing than the 85s. But as far as power and spin is concerned, the 6.1 is absolutely incredible. Take away the control, feel, spin, power, etc... between the two racquets, and they are similiar; they ARE both graphite kevlar.

SlapShot
04-10-2007, 11:58 AM
no, my coach owns almost a dozen. He has the oversize stretch models and it IS a little heavier to swing than the 85s. But as far as power and spin is concerned, the 6.1 is absolutely incredible. Take away the control, feel, spin, power, etc... between the two racquets, and they are similiar; they ARE both graphite kevlar.

The 6.1 is quite a bit stiffer than the 6.0, all other things considered. I love my 6.1 - I have the standard length 95 sq. inch ones, and they are great. I'm actually going to try and get one more (I hit with a guy who wants to sell his) so that I won't have to panic if a frame cracks on me.

fuzz nation
04-11-2007, 09:35 AM
I've been surprised that this frame hasn't had a good replacement come along from Wilson or anyone else (haven't tried the new k), but I recently got to try the Prince O3 Hybrid Tour and it felt like I was hitting a slightly lighter and more composed version of one of these Prostaffs. That's really the best way for me to describe it in case anyone is thinking of trying one out.

hadoken
04-11-2007, 07:42 PM
This is a great frame...that I do not use. Although it doesn't fit my game, I think it is far better than the N and K series replacements that came after. Neither of those frames have the feel of the Classic. It is a very stiff frame.

All you people whining about how heavy it is need to give it a rest. My hitting partner uses it...she's a girl in her late-20's who played college and I highly doubt she is stronger than most on this board. The frame is very HL and swings pretty easy.

Princegod
04-11-2007, 09:10 PM
One racket that I did try which was Princes answer to the Wilson 6.1 was the midplus Prince Equipe (std length). They tried to even emulate the same paint job. :) That racket was also very stiff. I remember hitting with it and played really well, but the swingweight was a little too high.

I might have to try the 6.1. All these positive comments have me interested. :D

Princegod
04-11-2007, 09:24 PM
Wow just checked the specs comparing the Equipe to the Wilson 6.1 Classic and the specs are incredibly close. Except the swingweight of the 6.1 is lower. Now I'm really interested!

Wilson 6.1 Prostaff Classic
Head Size: 95
Length: 27
Weight: 12.6
Swingweight: 326
Stiffness: 72
-------------------------
Prince Precision Equipe Midplus
Head Size: 95
Length: 27
Weight: 12.6
Swingweight: 339
Stiffness: 72

SlapShot
04-12-2007, 05:00 AM
All you people whining about how heavy it is need to give it a rest. My hitting partner uses it...she's a girl in her late-20's who played college and I highly doubt she is stronger than most on this board. The frame is very HL and swings pretty easy.

I agree - I was expecting this thing to swing like a log, but it moves quite nicely for me. It's much easier to swing aroung than my leaded up LM Prestiges. I actually added a little bit of lead to the tip of the Classic to bring it down on the ball a little more on serves.

Definitely a nice feeling racquet, and by far the my favorite that I have played with.

Anton
04-12-2007, 05:34 AM

The racket requires good timing and anticipation - the swing is easy once you get it going, but before the swing or volley happens the racket has to get to the right place.

Craig Sheppard
04-12-2007, 05:41 AM
I've been surprised that this frame hasn't had a good replacement come along from Wilson or anyone else (haven't tried the new k), but I recently got to try the Prince O3 Hybrid Tour and it felt like I was hitting a slightly lighter and more composed version of one of these Prostaffs. That's really the best way for me to describe it in case anyone is thinking of trying one out.

fuzz, could you say a bit more about the Hybrid Tour? I had my eye on a demo of these but wasn't sure if anyone liked them, or what they compared to. What makes you think it's similar to a PSC?

Rabbit
04-12-2007, 06:07 AM
Hmmm...I'm demoing the Wilson 6.1 95 now. I plan to hit with it tonight...

Anton
04-13-2007, 08:41 AM

Just to refresh my memory I've pulled out a 6.1 classic prostaff out of my bag yesterday and swung with it for half an hour - compared to my 11.5 oz Fischer Pro Tour Ft it DID swing like a log.

So long as I didn't swing it too aggressively and more on the flat side everything was fine but the added stress was got very pronounced when I started going for a lot of topspin and pace.