PDA

View Full Version : Pusher strategy?

babar
09-13-2004, 06:31 AM
After watching Dementieva's serve during the US Open semis, I was intrigued to try returning serve by standing in real close to the service line against pusher or slower servers. In the 2 sets I played against slower serving and hitting players, it has worked like a charm. With the exception of a few body serve, returning was pretty easy and effective. My opponents were probably serving in the 60s on average and maybe slower on some 2nd serves. I am a 4.0, but I play against slower players sometimes and have trouble generating power off of slower balls. Standing in on serves and inside the court during rallies really keeps the pace more to my liking and keeps my opponents on the defense quite nicely. Anybody else try this to couteract the frustration felt by playing slower players?

Camilio Pascual
09-13-2004, 07:10 AM
Yes, I've probably posted here more often than anybody advising to step inside the baseline against pushers. You can hit sharper angled shots and pick off the floaters pushers often hit.

mucat
09-13-2004, 10:09 PM
I do that all the time. Depending on how good the opponent's running shots, you can hit service return winners all the time. To me, it is just taking the ball early, doesn't matter it's serve return or during a rally, once I see a short ball, move up and whack it deep or wide.