PDA

View Full Version : Ive made up my mind, time for a new Racket?

darknight08
04-08-2007, 09:49 AM
Hey guys..
Ive been playing tennis for about 3 years
I started out with a walmart type for a month or so
Then, I switched to the Wilson H Wave which i believe is in the Hyper Hammer series. Here are the stats for the racket:

The H Wave offers excellent touch, feel and control. Continuing in the traditional Hammer mold, the H Wave produces a stable feel from all areas of the court, without sacrificing maneuverability. Features Wilson's ISOGRID frame construction which is designed to enhance frame stiffness for more power. A good fit for 4.0 level players with a full stroke style and moderate swing speed.

Specifications:

Headsize: 100
Length: 27.5
Weight Strung: 283g/(9.9 oz.)
Beam Width: 27.5mm Dual Taper Beam
Balance: 3 points Head Heavy
Power Level: Medium
Stiffness/Flex: 74
Frame Technology: Hyper Carbon, Hammer,ISOGRID
Composition/Construction: 100% Graphite w/ISOGRID
Swing Weight: 320
Swing Speed: Moderate-Fast
Swing Type: Moderate
String Pattern(Mains X Crosses): 16 x 20
Recommended String Tension: 53-63 lbs.

I have really liked this racket. The thing now though, is that there arent many HWaves left and I want to move onto a different series or a maybe so a different brand. Please Help me broaden my racket knowledge horizon. Ive been reading up on the [K]rap and most of that stuff does not impress me. What should i do?

fgs
04-08-2007, 10:14 AM
darknight08,
don't let yourself be [k]onfused by that [k]rap thing - that mainly about marketing hype and has no influence on how the racquets really play.
in my opinion a good way to go would be the ntour 95, which is a "players racquet" and worth every penny of the currently usd90 it is sold at. the reason is that it has been "superseeded" by the ntour two, which is only by a slight margin better.
you might also like the nsix-two, or if you have a rather full swing at the ball you could also look into the nblade.
try to demo before buying! what works for me or other posters does not have to work for your game too!

dylo
04-08-2007, 10:33 AM
put those specs in the racquet finder (racquetfinder.com) and make a bit of a range between each spec and run a serch

dunlopfan
04-08-2007, 11:36 AM
Try the Dunlop Aerogel 500 or possibly the Yonex RQS 33.

darknight08
04-08-2007, 11:40 AM
darknight08,
don't let yourself be [k]onfused by that [k]rap thing - that mainly about marketing hype and has no influence on how the racquets really play.
in my opinion a good way to go would be the ntour 95, which is a "players racquet" and worth every penny of the currently usd90 it is sold at. the reason is that it has been "superseeded" by the ntour two, which is only by a slight margin better.
you might also like the nsix-two, or if you have a rather full swing at the ball you could also look into the nblade.
try to demo before buying! what works for me or other posters does not have to work for your game too!

Any other recommendations? Maybe in another brand?

Noveson
04-08-2007, 11:44 AM
I agree with the Dunlop 500. Probably the Mfil version instead of the Aerogel version. Probably my favorite tweener I have ever hit with.

fgs
04-08-2007, 11:48 AM
darknight08,
the only brands i have the possibility to demo here are wilson, babolat and head - the others don't provide for demo (dunlop, prince, volkl, yonex). the only babolat i could recommend would be the pure storm, but i haven't played that one. the other ones are very, very stiff racquets and are difficult to play in my opinion. you could still want to try them out. from the head range i'd suggest you give the radical a try, whatever you can get your hand on, flexpoint or liquidmetal (that also has a very attractive price). the prestige would be too stiff too and quite difficult to play and the instinct is a good racquet, but might have a little bit too much power - if you can control that, than it is a recommendable stick. i'm sorry that this is about where my knowledge ends, since the other racquets are not available for demo in this part of the world.

psp2
04-08-2007, 11:49 AM
Any other recommendations? Maybe in another brand?

Go to your local tennis shop and demo as much as you can. You say that you've been playing for only 3 years. IMHO, you probably can't tell too much of a difference between small spec changes. Demo and playtest until you find that certain racquet that you feel comfortable with. Don't worry about written specs (and all the hype).

IT WAS IN!!!
04-08-2007, 11:57 AM
the only babolat i could recommend would be the pure storm, but i haven't played that one. the other ones are very, very stiff racquets and are difficult to play in my opinion.

his racquet says 74 stiffness i think he could handle them.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCBAB-ZLITEC.html maybe or
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-KZENT.html or even
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCGAMMA-IPEX5.html

fgs
04-08-2007, 12:07 PM
itwasin!!!
those hammers are light and headheavy. i tried to suggest he gets away from that sort of balance and go for a slightly heavier racquet (300g) with even or headlight balance - maybe he'd like to learn to hit some topspin too, which would be rather difficult to begin with with a headheavy balance (once technique established this matter changes, as i hit heavy topspin with slightly headheavy balance, but i'm at this game for more than 35 years now).