PDA

View Full Version : POG Mid and POG OS?

oray777
04-08-2007, 01:02 PM
I'm going to be testing these 2 racquets this week sometime. I just wanted to get some general feedback about the them and any difference they might have besides the larger racquet head on the OS. I got hold of a Signature Michael Chang prince racquet and i thought that it had some nice power when serving. Thanks!!

Jack & Coke
04-08-2007, 04:24 PM
I have both..

Mid an OS both feel great! Nice comfortable and solid feeling.

Mid = easier to maneuver. I prefer the mid on my 1HBH and at the net.

OS = more power (must string at higher tension in order to keep some control.. so a straight up comparison is not really fair).

My serves and forehand are much bigger with the OS than with the mid.

Both are excellent racquets.. both "feel" similar, but "play" differently.

Fav shots with the OS = big inside-out cross-court forehand, and serves.

Fav shots with the Mid = top/back spin 1HBH & all net shots (volley).

Good luck. :)

Roger_Federer.
04-08-2007, 04:26 PM
I like the Mid, because its alot easier to use over int erms of manuverability and control.

Bengt
04-09-2007, 05:22 AM
Ditto both replies above except I feel that the mid is easier to serve with. Aside from it generally being easier to snap the serve with a mid, the current OS seems more head-heavy that the older ones. You'll need a lot of strength to serve with the OS.

Jack & Coke
04-09-2007, 05:44 AM
interesting. I didn't know the balance changed much.. both of mine are the 4-stripe versions.

Bengt
04-09-2007, 05:55 AM
interesting. I didn't know the balance changed much.. both of mine are the 4-stripe versions.
Either I'm slightly weaker or the new OS is slightly more head heavy. I just know it felt like it took more effort to swing it than I remember the previous OS taking. I played with the OS that you could get from TW just prior to the current one.

kv581
04-09-2007, 09:53 AM
Ditto both replies above except I feel that the mid is easier to serve with. Aside from it generally being easier to snap the serve with a mid, the current OS seems more head-heavy that the older ones. You'll need a lot of strength to serve with the OS.

OTOH, if you can handle the weight of the OS, it'll serve some huge bombs.

Jack & Coke
04-09-2007, 09:59 AM
All things being equal (i.e. string type and tension), I hit bigger serves with my POG OS, than my POG MID.

However, since my MID is strung lower than my OS with different string type and age, it's hard to compare the two frames with complete accuracy.

Ripper
04-09-2007, 10:49 AM
I haven't tried the Mid, but the OS is one of my favourite racquets. This is a racquet you have to be careful with, though. It feels underpowered when hitting with moderate strokes, but, as soon as you swing hard, the trampoline effect of the longer strings, is evident. So, careful attention to string selection and tension is very important.

dowjones
04-09-2007, 05:21 PM
Ripper, what's your set up on the POG OS? I'm going to dig mine out (3 of 'em), give it a fresh string job and see how it hits. It's been along time since they've been out of the closet!

Ripper
04-10-2007, 01:15 PM
Ripper, what's your set up on the POG OS? I'm going to dig mine out (3 of 'em), give it a fresh string job and see how it hits. It's been along time since they've been out of the closet!

Well, I'm not using mine right now. Plus, I just sold two of them, but still have two left. I'll do the same as you and start using them again, one of these days! The last set-up I tried was clear Prince PolyGut crosses and pink Prince Lightning mains, but that was, mostly, for the looks, lol. Btw, I used to tension everything at 60. However, I think, the next time, I'm going full poly (something with a little feel and not so much crispness... something similar to SPPP) on them, while retaining the same tension. And, at one point, I have to try a kevlar hybrid on this frame; it's the only frame I want to try this type of string on, for some reason.

Edit: Btw, the POG OS is a nice racquet for 1h backhands.

jasonbourne
04-10-2007, 06:07 PM
Bengt, what tension do you string your pog mid in zyex? How long does it last for you?

Also, which brand zyex do you use?

bluetrain4
04-10-2007, 08:15 PM
I'm currently demoing a POG OS and think it is one of the best rackets for groundstrokes that I have ever used.

I am an aggressive baseliner and it was simply great on my forehand, two-handed backhand and slice backhand (which surprised me).

Much better on volleys that I imagined.

However, I really felt it fell short on overheads and serves. Much of the serve problem was just the adjustment, and once I go the racket characteristics down I could serve some bombs (spin bombs, not flat). But, I still think serves are the weakness of the POG OS.

oray777
04-10-2007, 11:29 PM
I'm currently demoing a POG OS and think it is one of the best rackets for groundstrokes that I have ever used.

I am an aggressive baseliner and it was simply great on my forehand, two-handed backhand and slice backhand (which surprised me).

Much better on volleys that I imagined.

However, I really felt it fell short on overheads and serves. Much of the serve problem was just the adjustment, and once I go the racket characteristics down I could serve some bombs (spin bombs, not flat). But, I still think serves are the weakness of the POG OS.

I just got my Demo's in today from TW and i'm anxious to go for a test run. Doing some serious hitting this Thursday with a 12 year old who's taking alot of lessons from my tennis coach.

I tried a Michael Chang racquet(Not quite sure if it was the same as the Original prince's racquet but i could really hit some serious flat serves. I could really tell a difference with my other racquets. I'm just hoping these will do the same but if not on with the search for another racquet. These are the ones i would prefer but if they do not feel comfortable then i'll move on. BTW what strings work best with these racquets? Natural, Synthetic, etc..?

Deuce
04-10-2007, 11:51 PM
I've only tried the Mid, and found it to be uncomfortably stiff.

The majority of posts that I've read about the Oversize is that it's noticeably softer and more comfortable than the Mid.
This is not surprising, as when one 'model' is offered in different headsizes, 99% of the time, the two head sizes play very, very differently - to the point where the only similarities between the two are the graphics.

AndrewD
04-11-2007, 12:45 AM
Either I'm slightly weaker or the new OS is slightly more head heavy. I just know it felt like it took more effort to swing it than I remember the previous OS taking. I played with the OS that you could get from TW just prior to the current one.

Yes, the OS is now only 5pts HL rather than 9 pts HL. Add on the weight of strings - especially if you use poly, which is heavier than a standard synthetic- and that can leave you with a POG OS balanced at, roughly, 3-4pts HL.

As to the mid: it is a stiff racquet but I found it to be very comfortable, despite the flex.

Stan
04-11-2007, 03:53 AM
The Straight Shaft version, in my experience, is more head light than the newer Tour version of the POGOS.

oray777
04-11-2007, 12:34 PM
The Straight Shaft version, in my experience, is more head light than the newer Tour version of the POGOS.

I've got the "straight shaft" OS right now. Are you saying they have a newer version OS? I didn't see it on the website or maybe i'm not looking in the right place.

kv581
04-11-2007, 02:44 PM
I've got the "straight shaft" OS right now. Are you saying they have a newer version OS? I didn't see it on the website or maybe i'm not looking in the right place.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/viewlarge.html?PCODE=GRO

oray777
04-11-2007, 03:46 PM
I guess thats why it's got more power because of the less headlight weight.