PDA

View Full Version : that aerogel feel

hoons
04-08-2007, 06:01 PM
Ive been playing with an AG300 recently, and you can't help but notice the muted feel it has, accompanied by that metal ping off every shot. Anyone else experienced this? I was just wondering if anyone whose tried the 200 and 500/tour has had this as well

Fedace
04-08-2007, 06:08 PM
Ive been playing with an AG300 recently, and you can't help but notice the muted feel it has, accompanied by that metal ping off every shot. Anyone else experienced this? I was just wondering if anyone whose tried the 200 and 500/tour has had this as well

Yes very true, i am not crazy about it but the racket plays like GOD himself designed it so i don't care. and it is very good at vib dampening given that it makes that weird sound. the racket is a dream for any intermediate to advanced player, it just plays awsome. Just ask Tommy robredo:D

Craig Sheppard
04-08-2007, 06:11 PM

Yup, I thought the 300 felt very muted and solid on shots hit in the sweetspot, but metallic and harsh outside of it. Just didn't like the feel, I think it depends a lot on what string and especially what tension is used.

LarougeNY
04-08-2007, 06:15 PM
Yup, I thought the 300 felt very muted and solid on shots hit in the sweetspot, but metallic and harsh outside of it. Just didn't like the feel, I think it depends a lot on what string and especially what tension is used.

I think it is mildly string sensitive. So far the worst string I've put in my AG 300 is Mfil Tour (on a demo) and it played horrible, felt very jarring outside the sweetspot.

I agree that it does feel muted, but not to an extent that it makes one bored, I think the feel that it does have is good, comparable to the fischer's buttery feel.

It can be harsh outside the sweetspot too, but I haven't found it anywhere near as harsh and jarring as the PD, Prestige (fxp), or other lighter rackets. I think it is very stable (for its weight) and isn't jarring unless you really hit at the spot where the grommets meet the strings.

Craig Sheppard
04-08-2007, 06:24 PM
I think it is mildly string sensitive. So far the worst string I've put in my AG 300 is Mfil Tour (on a demo) and it played horrible, felt very jarring outside the sweetspot.

I agree that it does feel muted, but not to an extent that it makes one bored, I think the feel that it does have is good, comparable to the fischer's buttery feel.

It can be harsh outside the sweetspot too, but I haven't found it anywhere near as harsh and jarring as the PD, Prestige (fxp), or other lighter rackets. I think it is very stable (for its weight) and isn't jarring unless you really hit at the spot where the grommets meet the strings.

I think everyone has a different sensitivity to this. Maybe I just am more bothered by it. But on the other hand, even w/ a Lux ALU hybrid in my n6.1 16x18, I didn't find any mishits that jarring, like I did w/ the NXT string in my 300 demo. I certainly don't think it's a *bad* racquet, and it's much better than the PD, any Babolat, and most other racquets that I've tried. So when I say negative things I don't mean to imply it stinks.

I agree it's very stable for it's weight. I only had a demo, so I can't say too much about strings. But unfortunately the people who get to try different strings are the ones who already own the racquet, suggesting they liked it enough from a demo to buy one (unless they bought one for demo purposes).

Fedace
04-08-2007, 06:29 PM

who cares about how it feels, the racket is not harsh on the arm at all and dampning is great, and it plays great so what else is there to say?;)

Craig Sheppard
04-08-2007, 06:36 PM
who cares about how it feels, the racket is not harsh on the arm at all and dampning is great, and it plays great so what else is there to say?;)

AGggggggggggh!!! I gotta feel the love man! I'm not even that old, but the whole muted poly no-feel thing ain't my bag.

Pushmaster
04-08-2007, 08:13 PM

I thought the same thing about the AG 200, it just felt stiff and dead. I've recently been hitting with the Mfil 200 and really like it. The Mfil 200 reminds me alot of the MW 200G, that's why I much prefer it over the AG 200. I should have trusted my instincts and bought 2 Mfil's instead of the 1 AG, oh well...

louis netman
04-08-2007, 09:27 PM

I like its predecessors, but I had about 3 or 4 hits with the AG300 demo and had to put it down...:-( hoping it was the cheap demo string...

"I believe the use of less-expensive materials and fillers to detract from the transmission of necessary stimuli to the user. With today's modern game emphasizing more baseline bashing (and use of poly strings), as opposed to touch and feel, it's no wonder that this fact has not had great overall impact on the average consumer."

Quoted from ' "Modern Feel" an Excuse for the use of Lesser Quality Materials'

hoons
04-08-2007, 09:37 PM

My other racquets are rds 001 mids, and when you change between the two you can definately feel the difference. But i agree, its a nice racquet, especially on volleys. I'd just wish it show me the love i have shown it.