PDA

View Full Version : **Volkl Tour 9 V-Engine (16X19) Review**

jdeloach
04-08-2007, 06:03 PM
The last few days, I have had the opportunity to play with a family member's racquet while I had it to string. I am excited to add one more Volkl to the list of reviews.

**Remember, this review is strictly based on my opinion. If you disagree....write your own!**

Volkl Tour 9 V-Engine (16X19) Review
Strings: Topspin CyberFlash @ 57lbs/55lbs

Design & Comfort 7/10
Before playing with the Tour 9, I thought the DNX 10 was the ugliest.......I was wrong! The combination of blue, orange, yellow, and silver really creates one hideous looking frame.
The shape is very unique. With the V-neck and the matching crossbar, it definitely stands out in a crowd.
The grip shape, though not my favorite, felt decent being 4 1/4. The stock grip provided an outstanding base for my overgrip, and actually felt very nice in my hand.
The Tour 9 is a very comfortable racquet. To me, it felt like it had a lower flex rating than 64.

Overall - I love the shape of the Tour 9, but the color is absolutely disgusting. If you are worried about what your racquet looks like......look elsewhere.
Despite the blinding ugliness......it is an extremely comfortable playing racquet.

Grounstrokes 10/10
Forehands were a dream with the Tour 9. I was able to swing all-out, and keep the ball from flying. The amount of topspin generated was incredible. The 16X19 has become my favorite pattern. Control was above average. I found myself painting the line, with very little effort. Dropshots and lobs were very natural feeling, and became an important part of my hitting sessions.
Backhands were great, as well. I found it to fit my 1-handed backhand very nicely. Again, spin was effortless, and control was amazing. If you play a lot of backhand slice, you will be very satisfied. The comfort and stability were above average, and overall created a pleasant baseline experience.

Overall - Definitely the strongest area for the Tour 9. It actually had me wanting to buy it from my family member.

Volleys 9.5/10
Again, the Tour 9 continued to impress. The low swingweight was extremely maneuverable, and very easy to get into position. I was actually pleasantly surprised with the stability at the net. I expected the lighter weight to cause problems against "heavy-hitters", but the crossbar addition proved otherwise. The amount of "POP" combined with the pinpoint accuracy, made the Tour 9 a great racquet at the net.

Overall - I can see why my family member uses the Tour 9.....she plays a lot of matches at the net. The Tour 9 quickly became one of my favorite racquets while volleying.

Serves 9/10
I was not surprised at all, considering the great results from the other categories, to see the Tour 9 shine on serves. The pace and spin were way above average. I was able to completely unload on first serves, without the fear of losing control.
Second serves were beautiful. The amount of kick was very, very impressive.

Overall - With the results from the [K]Surge and the Tour 9, I am starting to rethink my perfect racquet setup. This racquet has confirmed that I need to move to a little lighter weight overall, and a lower swingweight. If you love to serve & volley, or play a lot of doubles......definitely give the Tour 9 a try!!

Final Thoughts
The overall playability of the Tour 9 is enough to completely cover the bad paintjob. I would highly recommend this frame to anyone with any style. It is extremely comfortable on the arm, and just a blast to play with.

Total Score 8.9/10

http://i18.tinypic.com/4fyntco.jpg

http://i17.tinypic.com/47lmv4m.jpg

http://i17.tinypic.com/2hzluds.jpg

http://i17.tinypic.com/4gs39rt.jpg

IT WAS IN!!!
04-08-2007, 07:44 PM
wow, now i'll have to give hat a demo how was the spin potential?

also was it pretty comfortable?

ss2miraitrunks
04-08-2007, 08:15 PM
not exactly the volkl i wanted
but WOOHOOO
volkl for life hahaha

if you dont count its "ugly design" paint . its pretty much a 9.4/10
WHICH would be higher then any other reviews overall score you have done!!

cant wait for dnx 4 and dnx 9 and dnx 10 mid

OzNQc
04-09-2007, 12:24 AM
That's just dandy!

Goes to show that this ugly duckling performs well in someone's hands!

It seems to perform alot like the old tour 9 generation 1 racquets that i used to use by the sound of your review. I am using T10 VE MPs now. It is a pity that the V-engine will disappear again except in the dnx 9. Try to find that hotspot in the V-engine and you will really experience something sweet.

Good luck and keep up the updates as you progress with your stick!

dylo
04-09-2007, 12:26 AM
i dont think the pj is that bad

jdeloach
04-09-2007, 03:57 AM
if you dont count its "ugly design" paint . its pretty much a 9.4/10
WHICH would be higher then any other reviews overall score you have done!!

You are good to notice that...:-D I was wondering if anyone would catch that. It really is a great stick.

fielders_80
04-09-2007, 06:32 AM
Is it really that good? It makes me wonder.....time to give it a shot?

BTW Jdeloach, great review!! How do you compare between the Volkl Tour 9 to the K Factor six tour 90. It seems those 2 received the highest ranking scores (in stock form).

You are good to notice that...:-D I was wondering if anyone would catch that. It really is a great stick.

WChiang
04-09-2007, 06:55 AM
Is it really that good? It makes me wonder.....time to give it a shot?

I have fallen in to the trap occassionally putting too much emphasis on someone else's review of a frame relative to buying a frame. If you look around you can find good and bad reviews about every racquet on the market. jdeloach seems to be a great reviewer but his reviews may not be applicable to your own game. I have seen great reviews of sticks that I hated and lousy reviews of sticks that I love...to each their own. These reviews are, however, excellent analysis that can be used to at least choose a demo or two. Personally I did not like the DNX 9...not the Volkl feel that I like and I could not serve very well with it. Also, it had too light a swingweight. I do agree, though that jdeloach is providing a great service with these insightful reviews! Thanks for that.

Thor
04-09-2007, 07:13 AM
I have fallen in to the trap occassionally putting too much emphasis on someone else's review of a frame relative to buying a frame. If you look around you can find good and bad reviews about every racquet on the market. jdeloach seems to be a great reviewer but his reviews may not be applicable to your own game. I have seen great reviews of sticks that I hated and lousy reviews of sticks that I love...to each their own. These reviews are, however, excellent analysis that can be used to at least choose a demo or two. Personally I did not like the DNX 9...not the Volkl feel that I like and I could not serve very well with it. Also, it had too light a swingweight. I do agree, though that jdeloach is providing a great service with these insightful reviews! Thanks for that.

He reviewed the V9 engine tour...

jdeloach
04-09-2007, 07:17 AM

I agree WChiang. I hope everyone uses my reviews to create a DEMO list only. I would hate to cause someone to buy a frame they are not comfortable with.

TourTenor
04-09-2007, 07:26 AM
Thor,
I was just going to point out the same thing to WChiang, the Tour 9 V-Engine is not a DNX 9. The Tour9V is a carbon/fiberglass blend whereas the DNX 9 is Graphite/DNX material. They feel quite different from one another. Also, the Tour9V is now discounted at TW for $109. A pretty good price. However, I'm not sure that they will continue to sell it for long with all the new Volkl offerings.

WChiang
04-09-2007, 07:28 AM
He reviewed the V9 engine tour...

Son of a gun, you are right! Sorry about that. I actually liked the V9 tour (16 x 19) much better than the DNX 9 (although my points about demoing, etc. still stand). My bad, thanks Thor.

jdeloach; again, great reviews!

Vision84
04-09-2007, 07:53 AM
I'm waiting for my demos to arrive and in it I have a DNX 10mid in there. how would you compare this Volkl to that one?

Django
04-09-2007, 08:28 AM
Funny, the Tour 9 V-Engine's 16x19 version we played had a dark blue PJ, while it was the 18x20 that was black. Both had the orange, silver and yellow trim. In any case, good review. I thought both versions were unfairly bashed for the most part on these boards.

knasty131
04-09-2007, 08:39 AM
i absolutely HATED the 18x20 version of this

jdeloach
04-09-2007, 08:50 AM
Funny, the Tour 9 V-Engine's 16x19 version we played had a dark blue PJ, while it was the 18x20 that was black. Both had the orange, silver and yellow trim. In any case, good review. I thought both versions were unfairly bashed for the most part on these boards.

I am glad you pointed that out. I don't know why I typed black, it is definitely a dark (metallic) blue. Black and orange might not look as bad together, but the blue and orange....:???: :???:

backcourt
04-09-2007, 09:11 AM
i absolutely HATED the 18x20 version of this

I feel the same way, lousy feel and harsh, I wonder if the 16 x19 could really play that much different; but of course to each his own.

I currently play with a CAt 8 VE so I do like the volkl feel in the right stick.

ss2miraitrunks
04-09-2007, 06:44 PM
What do you string your cat 8 with backcourt

backcourt
04-10-2007, 06:12 AM
What do you string your cat 8 with backcourt

My usual string is Yonex Tour Super 850, which I think has a new name now, at 58. ONce the clay court season begins, and assuming i dont break a string in the meantime, I will next be trying out Babalot Syntronic Brio 16, to see how it plays.

TheRasha
04-22-2007, 09:41 PM
what is main difference between V Tour 9 and dunlop m fil 300? Which is better? Can somebody help?

OzNQc
05-17-2007, 06:09 PM
Dude!

Hard to know what the mfil300 is like. I will probably only be able to comment on the volkl once i get a hit with it. In any case, the feel of the volkls that i have tried so far over the years such as those in the quantum, catapault and tour series is comfortable even with their stiffer offerings. The V-engine especially in the 10 series really coughed up some incredible shots! I am looking forward to exploit that in a more manageble and stiffer frame like the T9 VEs now!

Best to demo than just rely on my experiences!

Good luck!

OzNQc
05-20-2007, 11:34 PM
Like JDEloach says, if someone has a different opinion to his review on the racquet, do a yourself or something along those lines and all the better in order to add perspectives. I have a different opinion on these bats now that i have had a chance to swing them around so my review is coming up on this bat on a separate thread!

Bottomline....the clubs in stock form really suck bigtime but therein is the caveat so have a look at my review when it gets posted!

JDELOACH, great review nonetheless!

OzNQc
05-22-2007, 09:19 PM
Well, iyou dudes can disregard my last post to some extent but 1st time hitting with the T9 VE 16x19 was absolutely horrible! 3rd time round with the racquets, i seem to have adapted to the racquet in stock form. Hit some nasty V-engine power curlers! lol Very strange beast!!!! anyway, gotta write up that review!

jeffreyfranz
05-22-2007, 10:06 PM

also was it pretty comfortable? Excuse me. Did you read any of the review?

OzNQc
05-25-2007, 03:02 AM
I feel the same way, lousy feel and harsh, I wonder if the 16 x19 could really play that much different; but of course to each his own.

I currently play with a CAt 8 VE so I do like the volkl feel in the right stick.

have not finished that blasted review yet!

aNYWAY, Sorry to keep chiming in like this but yeah! Off-centre hits are not very comfortable on the 16x19! I had no problems like that on the T10 VE MP!
It is a little bizarre considering that there is a double bridge to aid stability so my take on it is lack of "plow through" mass that you get on the T10 VE MP.
Anyway, got to play with them some more with mods!

OzNQc
05-25-2007, 03:08 AM

also was it pretty comfortable?

I agree with JDEloach. However, i think in my case the jumpy topspin which is difficult to attack is much more pronounced on a slower swing. I cannot work that one out! Great slice though! Demo before you buy and if you are just starting tennis, i would think there are other frames which are better to begin with! I hit a decent ball and even these bats have got me stumped hahahahahaha Modifications are in order for these bats!

Happy hitting!