PDA

View Full Version : Pure Storm setup

PED
04-09-2007, 05:53 AM
I bought a pure storm off of a buddy of mine two weeks ago, and love most things about it. I added some lead to the hoop at 9 and 3 oclock and it makes a big difference. the one question i have know is strings. He had it strung with alu power rough which is my usual string, but the difference is I normally use around 55 or 56 pounds with big banger and he's got it strung at 64 pounds. Any recommendations on tension? The racquet seems more flexible than my APD, but I'm worried that going too low on the storm tension will have me spraying balls.

Igor_Bg
04-09-2007, 06:30 AM
Why did u put lead on 3 and 9 o'clock dude? Its already pretty much head heavy racket. Mine were like 344cm(strung) balance stock. U should try to put some weight in the handle and some in the " throat "(part between head and the handle).
It only makes PS harder to handle if you put weight on the head.:-D

PED
04-09-2007, 06:35 AM
it does make it a bit head heavy, but playing against heavy hitters, i seemed to be getting some flex on the side of the hoops and the lead helps stablize it a bit.I guess Gonzo is a moron too since that's where he puts his lead. What tension are you using?

BHud
04-09-2007, 06:45 AM
FYI...Gonzo doesn't play with a Pure Storm...paint job...

Igor_Bg
04-09-2007, 07:00 AM
Yes, he puts some weight on the head but are you sure that thats the only customization on his racket. :-D (moya and nadal play with head heavy rackets but they are strong as bulls).

PED
04-09-2007, 07:09 AM
you are right about the head heaviness, but i've only got around 10 grams on it. Now that i'm used to the weight, it's nice. It seems to help on volleys as well. how much and where do you have it under the handle and what tension are you using? thx for the feedback

Igor_Bg
04-09-2007, 07:15 AM
And normally my string tension is 26-25( i think its 57-55 lbs), but since my clay court season started i "lowered" the tension a little bit.

Igor_Bg
04-09-2007, 07:30 AM
I put 10 grams on the butt and 5g grams on the throat like this.

[img=http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/9148/image034iw5.th.jpg] (http://img408.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image034iw5.jpg)

Igor_Bg
04-09-2007, 07:33 AM
There are 2 layers on the throat.

PED
04-09-2007, 07:46 AM
How is the feel altered compared with stock with your mods?

Kevo
04-09-2007, 08:15 AM
I added almost an ounce of lead under the butt cap. That didn't change the feel very much other than making the frame seem more solid at contact on the biggest shots, and it absorbs some additional shock so the frame is even more comfortable now. It also didn't add any power like adding lead to the head can. I was happy with the power level already. As far as stringing goes, I tend to go somewhere between 54lbs. and 58lbs. depending on the string, and diameter. Currently my favorite is 17g Competition at 55-56lbs.

tennis_nerd22
04-09-2007, 08:22 AM
mmm i took off the stock grip from mine, added a gamma leather, two overgrips, and then 3 grams of lead at 12 oclock. its a great setup, very close to my rds OO1 mp

Igor_Bg
04-09-2007, 08:29 AM
I added almost an ounce of lead under the butt cap. That didn't change the feel very much other than making the frame seem more solid at contact on the biggest shots, and it absorbs some additional shock so the frame is even more comfortable now. It also didn't add any power like adding lead to the head can. I was happy with the power level already. As far as stringing goes, I tend to go somewhere between 54lbs. and 58lbs. depending on the string, and diameter. Currently my favorite is 17g Competition at 55-56lbs.

I felt that my racket swing is faster than the stock...

jcstennis
04-09-2007, 04:25 PM
PED, i have played my PS with SPPP (FJ) 17g @ 52lbs... (10grams in the butt) played great... then strung it w/ X-1 @ 17g 56 lbs, too powerful...so i added just a bit of weight and it plays great, as a matter of fact, the more weight i add the better it plays (and helps control the X-1, or more like getting the most out of the string)... now i have 5grams @ 12 o'clock, 6 on the handle and 10 in the butt... a little crazy but feels great... almost like my Pure Control. i like my sticks 11.5 - 12.0 oz. The PS feels nice and smooth (for me) with added weight!

TN22 should concur, he weights his PS up real nice!;0

PED
04-09-2007, 04:45 PM
I agree, I'm getting mine strung up tonight and am looking forward to using it tomorrow. I 'm using pro hurricane tour in the mains with sensation in the crosses. I liked that combo on my APD as it's a little easier on my arm than straight poly. The weight additions are key in my mind on the storm. I love the feeling on a two handed backhand...you can really swing through on it. It's taken me a few weeks to get used to the storm, i was using it as a stop gap until the cortex APD comes out in June, but i like it so much i think i'll keep on using it.

tennis_nerd22
04-09-2007, 04:56 PM
PED, i have played my PS with SPPP (FJ) 17g @ 52lbs... (10grams in the butt) played great... then strung it w/ X-1 @ 17g 56 lbs, too powerful...so i added just a bit of weight and it plays great, as a matter of fact, the more weight i add the better it plays (and helps control the X-1, or more like getting the most out of the string)... now i have 5grams @ 12 o'clock, 6 on the handle and 10 in the butt... a little crazy but feels great... almost like my Pure Control. i like my sticks 11.5 - 12.0 oz. The PS feels nice and smooth (for me) with added weight!

TN22 should concur, he weights his PS up real nice!;0

i definitely concur :p lol that setup seems almost identical to mine (if you factor in the weight of the leather grip and overgrips - the stock grip weight... interesting :D).

ive found the rds to have more control and more POP, though the storm has more POWER... i dont know if this makes sense, but its wat ive found.

PED
04-11-2007, 07:33 AM
One last question, I played last night with new string: pro hurricane tour at 55 in the mains and sensation at 57 in the crosses. I like the feel but maybe need to shift some of the lead from the head down lower to remove a bit of the power. I've only got 10 grams total at 3 and 9. Any idea of the effect of moving 4 or 5 grams from the head down to the throat like IGOR mentioned. The key thing I'm after is maintaining a solid feel on returning heavy shots.

Igor_Bg
04-11-2007, 08:01 AM
I think that you need to experiment a little. And see whats the best setup for you. Try every balance point( from 305mm to 350 mm). Every player has different needs...:)

Sviki
04-25-2007, 06:46 AM
I put 10 grams on the butt and 5g grams on the throat like this.

[img=http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/9148/image034iw5.th.jpg] (http://img408.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image034iw5.jpg)

I have a very similar setup (with 15g in the butt) and it plays better than a stock racquet. I might experiment with some lead on the throat as well.

Pozdrav Ivanu sa Floride
Pancevac

the Town Sherif
04-25-2007, 07:57 AM
what's the easiest way to put lead in the buttcap for the pure storm??

Sviki
04-25-2007, 08:59 AM
what's the easiest way to put lead in the buttcap for the pure storm??

Buttcap on PS is very easy to open, use a small screwdriver. There is not a lot of space between the buttcap and staples but there is just enough to put some lead. I bough fishing weights, it was $1 for like 10 pieces, I think 7 grams each. I put two of them and stuffed tp around them :D (couldn't find cotton) so they sit tightly inside and don't move. Replace the buttcap. And that's about it.
Scroll to the bottom of this web page, it gives you more detailed explanation.
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/Customizing/customize.html

pabletion
11-18-2007, 07:56 PM
Buttcap on PS is very easy to open, use a small screwdriver. There is not a lot of space between the buttcap and staples but there is just enough to put some lead. I bough fishing weights, it was $1 for like 10 pieces, I think 7 grams each. I put two of them and stuffed tp around them :D (couldn't find cotton) so they sit tightly inside and don't move. Replace the buttcap. And that's about it.
Scroll to the bottom of this web page, it gives you more detailed explanation.
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/Customizing/customize.html

Why do you use fish weights inside the handle instead of lead tape? Any advantage on doing so? I used lead tape below the grip on the handle, to counterbalance about 4.25 g (0.15 oz) that I put at 3 and 9. I guess is the same thing as using weights inside the handle???? or not?