PDA

View Full Version : Tension: Low vs. High

thefan
04-09-2007, 06:06 PM
How does the tension of the strings affect 1)serves and 2)forehand in terms of power and control?

Alex132
04-09-2007, 06:08 PM
all i know is that lower tension = control, and high tension = power.

thefan
04-09-2007, 06:10 PM
^ does that apply only serve...only forehand? or both?

drakulie
04-09-2007, 06:11 PM
^^^Actually, it is the other way around.

With that said, I don't buy the whole notion that lower string weight provides more power.

qwerty66
04-09-2007, 06:11 PM

dude....
it's the opposite

Kirko
04-09-2007, 06:12 PM

the reverse low power, high control. I always liked my rackets with high tension even in my wood racket days. I had my kramer autos. strung @ 60 lbs.

drhopz
04-09-2007, 06:13 PM
Lol, yea it's the opposite.

DraGoNoFfiR3
04-09-2007, 08:11 PM

actually its the opposite.

LarougeNY
04-09-2007, 08:13 PM
Which allows for more spin, Lower or Higher?
I've heard both arguments, don't know which is right though?

BTW, to beat the dead horse, Lower tension=more power, Higher=less power (Trampoline effect explains it)

travlerajm
04-09-2007, 08:21 PM
Lower tension = more spin.

fuzz nation
04-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Unfortunately, it depends on the racquet.

If a really flexible frame is strung too tightly, it usually has no life, but when you drop the tension, the ball can rebound better.

A stiff frame is inherently more powerful, but raising the tension reduces the degree of stringbed displacement, so it's less springy and more controllable. If that stiff frame has an open pattern, the stringbed at higher tension will bite the ball better for making spin.

stormholloway
04-09-2007, 08:32 PM
It's actually not even that simple.

See, the ball touches the strings for a shorter duration with tighter strings. Think about it: throw a tennis ball off a brick wall then throw a tennis ball off a trampoline.

The ball leaves the brick wall first. The idea with low tensions is that the ball hangs on the strings longer, but the strings trampoline the ball.

It's not simply more power versus more control. It's just not that simple. If you provide enough velocity, your ball may reach the target more quickly than a low tension. It all depends. This is why drakulie says he feels more power with high tensions.

I like the middle tension. Better to get a tight string job though, since you can always loosen strings up, but can't tighten them.

Teh_pwnerer
04-09-2007, 08:34 PM
just string it at 55 and u have it balanced

theRadical
04-09-2007, 09:28 PM
It's actually not even that simple.

yes, it is that simple! thanks for the lesson though.

Lambsscroll
04-10-2007, 04:02 AM
If you go low enough you don't have great power. If you have a fast bat speed you can take advantage of the low tension and get great spin.

ps60
04-10-2007, 05:38 AM
about spin, some "common wisdom" is lower tension for more spin. i found it the other way.
it may depend on the string pattern, racket head size. On my smaller size, dense string pattern frame, higher tenison means great spin.

Back to power,
i am wondering, if i go really really low (out of ordinary range), i may get a soft feel and low power string bed. :-)

a guy
04-10-2007, 05:43 AM
I had my Pro X1 strung at 50, probably in the low 40s now and when I find it pretty tough to control the ball and vary the speed, its like a trampoline. My other rackets I string at 56lbs and I find that's the best tension.

cys19
04-10-2007, 06:08 AM
Lower tension = more spin.

travlerajm, knowing your excellent reputation in tennis mechanics, could you please dispute this article regarding spin and tension?

http://tennis.about.com/od/tennisstringsfaq/f/faqstrings27.htm

Q. What's the best string tension for more spin?

From Jeff Cooper,
Your Guide to Tennis.
FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!

A. You'll find two views on this question. One camp believes lower tensions produce more spin because the ball remains on the strings longer, but lab results indicate that increasing string tension by 50% (quite a lot) increases spin by approximately 5% (not much). The most common explanation is that this slight increase occurs because the ball compresses more on the string bed, with each string biting farther into the ball.

ps60
04-10-2007, 06:51 AM
I had my Pro X1 strung at 50, probably in the low 40s now and I find it near impossible to control the ball and vary the speed, its like a trampoline. My other rackets I string at 56lbs and I find that's the best tension.

So... no hope for my fantasy

i found that even poly can be very bouncy if strung low. But that's not low enough i think :D

i've all this wonder b'cos i 've an experience with a PS6.0 95, strung very looosely (old string) and it feels so soft, no power issue, no control issue, lot of spin as my partner told me afterwards...
spin isn't a problem with me. i am just looking for a soft setting without the power :grin:

[K]aotic
04-10-2007, 08:50 AM
for spin, it depends on the string pattern. a more open pattern provides more spin then a closed string pattern.

keepurpowderdry
08-01-2010, 11:21 AM
Unfortunately, it depends on the racquet.

If a really flexible frame is strung too tightly, it usually has no life, but when you drop the tension, the ball can rebound better.

A stiff frame is inherently more powerful, but raising the tension reduces the degree of stringbed displacement, so it's less springy and more controllable. If that stiff frame has an open pattern, the stringbed at higher tension will bite the ball better for making spin.

Hi Fuzz. I knwo this is an old thread but I have started to learn the dip drive forehand shot and I have my racquetsa strung in the low 40s with the ashaway kevlar /synthetic gut hybrid. My racquet is at a 61 flex rating all graphite.

For the dip drive you nedd that high take back and swinging allmost level but a little down motion to hit it. Do you think my low tension kevlar set up would be ok with this shot or should I use my yonex 001 mid with different string at high tention? Thanks for your time..