PDA

View Full Version : Anyway to raise sweetspot without adding weight to the racket?

aznspongehead
04-09-2007, 06:48 PM
Just wondering... I've noticed that the rds002 tour has a low sweetspot, where I don't normally hit. (To be frank my ball contacts are all over the place... but I'd still like to have a sweetspot where I want it to be... for when I do hit it =P)

As the title says? Is that possible at all?
I like the current balance, I don't want to make it any heavier or heavier-swinging, but I want the sweetspot to be around 3.5 to 4.5 inches from the tip of the racket... right now from the way it feels when I go out and hit it is about 7 inches down... so I want to move it up about 3 inches somehow, hopefully without changing anything else.

I've never added lead or sawed anything off of any racket, and as far as I can tell that's pretty much impossible...

If it's indeed impossible, what can I do to move the sweetspot up given that I'm willing to change the static/swing weight of the racket?

abenguyen
04-09-2007, 07:01 PM
i guess string at lower tensions? or maybe use a softer string?

NoBadMojo
04-09-2007, 07:57 PM
Just wondering... I've noticed that the rds002 tour has a low sweetspot, where I don't normally hit. (To be frank my ball contacts are all over the place... but I'd still like to have a sweetspot where I want it to be... for when I do hit it =P)

As the title says? Is that possible at all?
I like the current balance, I don't want to make it any heavier or heavier-swinging, but I want the sweetspot to be around 3.5 to 4.5 inches from the tip of the racket... right now from the way it feels when I go out and hit it is about 7 inches down... so I want to move it up about 3 inches somehow, hopefully without changing anything else.

I've never added lead or sawed anything off of any racket, and as far as I can tell that's pretty much impossible...

If it's indeed impossible, what can I do to move the sweetspot up given that I'm willing to change the static/swing weight of the racket?

in a word..no

lowering the string tension will expand the sweetspot in all directions, but if you've already dialed in the right tension that would be of no value. stiff strings like poly shrink the sweetspot..all you can do is sdcrew around with string/tension. expanding the sweetspot tho by 3 inches is huge..best to go to another racquet.

abenguyen
04-09-2007, 08:01 PM
maybe try a tad bit of lead maybe 1-2 inches so weight doesn't change that much. put it at 10 and 2 o clock and see how it works

stormholloway
04-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Can't believe someone is having trouble with the 002 Tour's sweetspot. It's humongous.

Bagumbawalla
04-09-2007, 08:58 PM
2 ideas. You could buy or trade for another racket of the same weight with 271/2" handle, or some standard racket that suits you more.

You could, actually, remove some weight from the butt-end of your racket, though that would be risky. You could replace the handle with one that is slightly longer---- maybe.

In reality, though, if you want to raise the sweetspot, you will have to add some small amount of lead at the 12:00 position.

aznspongehead
04-09-2007, 09:44 PM
For those of you who somehow read that I wanted to expand the sweetspot I just wanted to clarify that I actually want to move it up towards the racket head a bit more. I know, the sweetspot is huge compared to the one on the LMP mid that I used to use... but it's not at where I'm used to the have it at, so I'm looking for ways to possibly move it to where I want it...

I'll experiment with some lead when (and if) I get a backup racket... I really like the weight and the balance right now, as well as everything else about this racket so I'm trying not to change much.

It's too bad... it would have been like a total dream racket if the sweet spot is 2-3 inches higher. Good news is for me its probably easier to adapt to the racket rather than making the racket adapt to me; I'm not atp pro and a little change in the sweetspot should be easily adaptable. :)

Thanks everyone... lol you can't blame me for trying.

AJK1
04-09-2007, 10:08 PM
You need to lower the sweetspot, not raise it. Why encourage yourself to be ordinary. Try for greatness. It's called practice, and you obviously don't do enough of it. Hitting the sweetspot every time is a skill borne by practice. The smaller the sweetspot, the better control you will have. Big sweetspots are for grannies. That's why they make racquets 107sqin and larger.

zAllianceBmx
04-09-2007, 10:17 PM
Try this..

When stringing... drop about 2 pounds from your normal tension on the mains. and when having the crosses strung.. increase from top(head) to bottom(throat), the tension by about 2 pounds.

so lets say you like 60lbs. string the mains at 58. now when starting the crosses at the top.. start at 58. then slightly increase the tension with every individual cross string being tensioned until you reach 60lbs on the last cross near the throat. so the top stringbed will be not as tight as the bottom.

OrangeOne
04-09-2007, 10:44 PM
Try this..

When stringing... drop about 2 pounds from your normal tension on the mains. and when having the crosses strung.. increase from top(head) to bottom(throat), the tension by about 2 pounds.

so lets say you like 60lbs. string the mains at 58. now when starting the crosses at the top.. start at 58. then slightly increase the tension with every individual cross string being tensioned until you reach 60lbs on the last cross near the throat. so the top stringbed will be not as tight as the bottom.

Hmm, while I can't comment on the effectiveness of the above specifically, when I first joined the boards snoflewis suggested I try dropping the cross-tension on my Yonex frames to decrease boardiness, I have and I like it. I'd therefore be skeptical of a method that reverses this, even given the sweet-spot goals, given the iso headshape of the Yonex frames.... (for the record, I was only dropping by 2lbs - splitting 56 mains 54 crosses).

ps60
04-09-2007, 11:08 PM
To raise SS. by 2-3" is really a challenge, esp when u dont want to add much SW.
i always add 1 to 2g (in total) of lead at 10,12, and 2 o'clock. So little nobody, even my sensitive hand can feel it. (sometimes a scale can't feel it too) It's when u swing it, when the ball comes into contact, u 'll feel some difference. they have a name for that "poll through" ?? (wrong spelling)
That may not be a result of raised SS, but it just feels better for some HL racket.

BTW, someone mentioned u should get used to the lower SS. i remember woodie has a very low SS. and when u find it, it is quite comfortable. and it has lot of control too

zAllianceBmx
04-09-2007, 11:53 PM
Hmm, while I can't comment on the effectiveness of the above specifically, when I first joined the boards snoflewis suggested I try dropping the cross-tension on my Yonex frames to decrease boardiness, I have and I like it. I'd therefore be skeptical of a method that reverses this, even given the sweet-spot goals, given the iso headshape of the Yonex frames.... (for the record, I was only dropping by 2lbs - splitting 56 mains 54 crosses).

well to counteract this. you could just drop tension by 2 pounds on the crosses on the upper part of the stringbed so the lower part is all 60 while the upper crosses are 58 and the mains are still 60.