PDA

View Full Version : NoBadMojo, could you suggest some tweeners?

weed
04-09-2007, 07:49 PM
How's it going friend? i know that you don't normally play with a tweener but it seems like you have tried many different racquets and i was just wondering if you had any favorite tweeners. other than the V1 classic, are there any tweeners that you found stood out from the rest? thanks.

NoBadMojo
04-09-2007, 09:07 PM
all is well thanks. would be helpful if we knew what your optimal swingweight range is, your playing level, what you;re using now, and what you feel your strengths are..there's lots of good tweeners out there...i reallly havent been hitting many of the newer frames lately

weed
04-09-2007, 09:50 PM
Good to know your doing well.

i like the swingweight in the 330's and i like a 100 sq inc head size. i was rated 4.0 by my previous coach but i'm gonna say i'm a 3.5 because my results at my first couple 4.0 tournaments were pretty bad and i won a few 3.5 tournaments. i'm using an instinct tour xl right now. my first racquet was 27.5 inches long and i've never stuck with anything longer or shorter. i prefer 27.5 inches but i know someone that extends racquets for a good price so i still look at standard length racquets. it's weird with me because it seems like my strengths change over time probably because i tend to work on my weaknesses and neglect my strengths during practice. when i began it was my forehand but now and for a longer period of time its my backhand (one-handed). but now that i started playing a lot of doubles, i've found that i might be naturally better up at net than at the back of the court. the serve was and is a weakness. my return has always been pretty strong.

IT WAS IN!!!
04-10-2007, 05:44 AM
Dunlop M-Fil 200 plus '05
Wilson nPro Open X

ps60
04-10-2007, 07:53 AM
DNX VI feels or swing a lot like QVI.

i wonder if DNX 6 is a very good tweener, even for adv users (with some lead in the pocket)

NoBadMojo
04-10-2007, 08:55 AM

i like the swingweight in the 330's and i like a 100 sq inc head size. i was rated 4.0 by my previous coach but i'm gonna say i'm a 3.5 because my results at my first couple 4.0 tournaments were pretty bad and i won a few 3.5 tournaments. i'm using an instinct tour xl right now. my first racquet was 27.5 inches long and i've never stuck with anything longer or shorter. i prefer 27.5 inches but i know someone that extends racquets for a good price so i still look at standard length racquets. it's weird with me because it seems like my strengths change over time probably because i tend to work on my weaknesses and neglect my strengths during practice. when i began it was my forehand but now and for a longer period of time its my backhand (one-handed). but now that i started playing a lot of doubles, i've found that i might be naturally better up at net than at the back of the court. the serve was and is a weakness. my return has always been pretty strong.

since you are changing racquets, i think now is the time to consider standard length frames as well...not sure why you feel the need for extended length frames...those typically make the service return and volley more difficult especialy at a 330 swingweight

based on what you've said for specs, if PK were still up and cranking, they were making some heavier frames with a 100 headisize just like you say you need.

also adivise you to work on your strengths at least as much as your weaknesses and chose a frame which best supports your strengths but is good at everything.

couch
04-10-2007, 02:30 PM

A couple that come to mind off the top of my head are the Babolat PD (standard or extended), Prince Diablo Tour MP, maybe a Wilson nBlade, Volkl DNX 8 or 9 (swingweight's a little lower on these).

There really aren't a lot of extended racquets in 100 sq. in. and below on the market these days (compared to a couple years ago). I currently use the Volkl Tour 8 (100 sq. in. and 27.6 in.) and have had trouble finding something that I like to replace it. I was pretty disappointed in Volkl's offerings in the "8" series afterwards and was really hoping they would have released the extended version of the DNX 8 in the U.S. I think that would have been a great successor for me to the Tour 8s. But I'll just keep using the Tour 8s until I can't anymore.

Oh yeah, IT WAS IN! had a couple good suggestions too.

If I think of anything else I'll try to post.

Couch

McGee
04-10-2007, 04:45 PM
couch...I second the Tour 8 recommendation. A buddy of mine is about a 5.0 and is in the same position as you. He will stick with his trusted Volkl Tour 8's (the red & black one right?) until they break in his hands. I am tempted to try the DNX 8, although the DNX 10 sure feels good. Volkl makes some nice frames and there should be one in their stable for most every level player.

couch
04-10-2007, 05:41 PM
couch...I second the Tour 8 recommendation. A buddy of mine is about a 5.0 and is in the same position as you. He will stick with his trusted Volkl Tour 8's (the red & black one right?) until they break in his hands. I am tempted to try the DNX 8, although the DNX 10 sure feels good. Volkl makes some nice frames and there should be one in their stable for most every level player.

Yep, that's the one. That's funny that your buddy and I are both 5.0 players playing with a Tour 8 that weighs in at a meager 11 ounces. :):):)

weed
04-10-2007, 07:12 PM
since you are changing racquets, i think now is the time to consider standard length frames as well...not sure why you feel the need for extended length frames...those typically make the service return and volley more difficult especialy at a 330 swingweight

based on what you've said for specs, if PK were still up and cranking, they were making some heavier frames with a 100 headisize just like you say you need.

also adivise you to work on your strengths at least as much as your weaknesses and chose a frame which best supports your strengths but is good at everything.

i think the reason i have to use an extended length racquet is the same reason why most people can't use a 26in junior racquet. i feel like i get nothing on the ball other wise. i even forced my self to play with a standard length racquet for half a year. i felt less confident and my results were horrible. i agree about the volleys, i tend to choke up on the grip at net anyway but i think i can return better with a long racquet. if there's one thing i'm sure i want in a racquet its that its 27.5in. i recently hit with a pk 7g thinking it would be what i was looking for but i thought it was just ok. I definitely work on my strengths now. thanks for the advice and thanks to everyone for responding

NoBadMojo
04-10-2007, 08:29 PM
i think the reason i have to use an extended length racquet is the same reason why most people can't use a 26in junior racquet. i feel like i get nothing on the ball other wise. i even forced my self to play with a standard length racquet for half a year. i felt less confident and my results were horrible. i agree about the volleys, i tend to choke up on the grip at net anyway but i think i can return better with a long racquet. if there's one thing i'm sure i want in a racquet its that its 27.5in. i recently hit with a pk 7g thinking it would be what i was looking for but i thought it was just ok. I definitely work on my strengths now. thanks for the advice and thanks to everyone for responding

i understand...there really arent too many longer frames with swingweights in the 330's like that..i am surprised the swingweight on your Instinct is that high..it must be balanced toward the head heavy. your next try might be to go with something more towards a lower swingweight, more headlight, and higher static weight. a frame you might consider if you like to make your own power is the Volkl Cat8VE..it's very comfortable, a little longer, and has a100 headsize I believe..

you should also stick the specs you are looking for in the TW racquet finder and see if it spits out a hidden jewel..luck to you

OzNQc
04-11-2007, 06:24 PM
For the volkls .... it is unfortunate that in the americas, you do not have access to other variants of volkls but i noticed that some of the DNX line maybe DNX 8 and DNX 9 racquets alson come in 27.5 approx. in australia and most certainly in europe. Good luck in trying to find demos for those if you are in search of volkls and others!