PDA

View Full Version : ***Wilson [K]Zen Review***

jdeloach
04-09-2007, 07:32 PM
**Remember, this review is strictly based on my opinion. If you disagree....write your own!**

Wilson [K]Zen Review
String: Wilson Sensation 16g @ 58lbs

Design & Comfort 9/10
The [K]Zen is a very nice looking racquet. It actually looks similar to the [K]Surge, but with a touch of "Flash". The yellowish-golden orange (?) combined with the black and white creates a very interesting appearance. It reminds me of the beautiful nBlade.
The grip is the new [K]Grip. It actually feels very comfortable, and great under an overgrip. It has a very similar feel to the TruGrip.
I was expecting the racquet to feel more flexy than the 71 rating, but I was wrong. It is a very stiff racquet.
One thing I found unique, was the design made the 103" head appear smaller in person.

Overall - The [K]Zen is a very nice looking frame. It has basicall added a wild-side to the [K]Surge. I am very pleased with the new grip. If you enjoy stiff racquets, you will not be disappointed.

Groundstrokes 8/10
When I think of a way to describe the [K]Zen, 3 words come to mind........Spin! Spin! and Spin! The amount of topspin on forehands, blew any other frame I have tested out of the water! This is a much needed attribute for the Zen, considering the "POP" from the large head and stiffness. I was amazed at the ease of keeping the ball deep on my opponent. That being said, I struggled with control. I found that painting the lines was a lot more difficult than with the Surge. Control did get better over time, but still wasn't quite what I wanted.
Backhands were very similar to the Surge. I felt more comfortable with 1-hand versus 2. Topspin was just as easy, and effective. Backhand slices were beautiful and very easy to produce. The control problem wasn't as noticeable from my backhand. I had a few spray on me, but overall very nice.
One important note: I actually felt some discomfort in the elbow and shoulder after the second day with the Zen. I know that it is mostly due to being accustom to racquets with more flex, but I wanted to point that out.

Overall - Felt very powerful, and is a spin-machine! Control was a little disappointing, and not nearly as accurate as the [K]Surge. If you are into stiff frames.....try it out. If you have problems with tennis-elbow......stay clear or put a very soft string at a very low tension.

Volleys 6/10
The extra weight and length provides a more stable result against "heavy-hitters" It is a very maneuverable racquet, but less than the [K]Surge. The Zen provides nice pace on volleys, but the lack of control became an issue again. The racquet lacks the pocketing feel of many others, and the ball seems to explode off of the stringbed.

Overall - I really didn't enjoy spending much time at the net with the [K]Zen. Even though it can handle the heavy balls, it was very jarring. It has very impressive power, but I just couldn't place the ball where I wanted.

Serves 10/10
This is the [K]Zen's strongest area, hands=down! It is a serving monster! The added weight, size, and length make it better than the [K]Surge on serves. The amount of pace was mind-blowing (once I was able to contain the power)
Spin was absolutely incredible!! My kick-serve had more "kick" than ever before, and quickly became a pain-in-the-neck for my opponent.
Placement was a little difficult, but with the amount of pace......I didn't care!

Overall - One of the best (if not the best) serving racquets I have ever hit with. I was truly amazed at the results. If you are looking for a stick to add more to your service game, definitely try the [K]Zen.

Final Thoughts
Overall the [K]Zen is a nice racquet that will suit certain individuals. If you are wanting a Babolat style racquet, but love Wilson......this is the racquet for you. I, unfortunately, need all of the control I can get and a need a racquet with more flex. It is a very stiff frame, and not recommended for those with elbow problems.

Total Score 8.25/10

**Pics soon**

drhopz
04-09-2007, 07:57 PM
I notice that most of the new wilson racquets, from your review score low on volleys such as the nblade.
Thanks for review, i will resist temptation from buying one.

KingOfTennis
04-09-2007, 08:00 PM
the one we've been all waiting for. good work. Btw is KZen a mid plus?

LarougeNY
04-09-2007, 08:01 PM
Can't help but notice that all the rackets Wilsons coming out with lately are very stiff.

Once again, great review. Really looking forward to pics, especially of the K-surge.

By the way, If you do start a business you can give me a call so I can get in my volunteer hours, as opposed to me having to work at a nursing home ;)

SFrazeur
04-09-2007, 08:03 PM
How is the Camera=Linux going?

Noveson
04-09-2007, 08:03 PM
I can't help but notice that almost all the racquets coming from any company are getting stiffer, except for prince really. And the smaller companies.

jdeloach
04-09-2007, 08:33 PM
How is the Camera=Linux going?

Not very successful...:-(
I am going to take my camera to a friend of mine house (hopefully tomorrow) and upload them.

shojun25
04-09-2007, 08:35 PM
nice review. makes me want to get it because of the serve scores ;)

julian
04-10-2007, 11:26 AM
Can't help but notice that all the rackets Wilsons coming out with lately are very stiff.

Once again, great review. Really looking forward to pics, especially of the K-surge.

By the way, If you do start a business you can give me a call so I can get in my volunteer hours, as opposed to me having to work at a nursing home ;)

k-factor team is softer-stiffness 59-
see www.tnnis-warehouse.com
julian uspta 27873