PDA

View Full Version : Why are racquets bulky?

tkauffm
04-10-2007, 12:33 AM
I've always wondered about this. Why is it that racquet manufacturers make rackets so bulky and thick? It's not as if they have to make them that big; players racquets are always thin and they are always the heaviest. I don't know about everyone else, but I don't like the feeling of a bulky stick in my hand when I play.

Alafter
04-10-2007, 12:37 AM
eh...okay.

BreakPoint
04-10-2007, 12:56 AM
I've always wondered about this. Why is it that racquet manufacturers make rackets so bulky and thick? It's not as if they have to make them that big; players racquets are always thin and they are always the heaviest. I don't know about everyone else, but I don't like the feeling of a bulky stick in my hand when I play.
Then why not just buy a thinner stick?

The thicker beams are what give the tweener and game improvement racquets all that power. The players racquets are thinner because they have much less power.

ps60
04-10-2007, 01:02 AM
i guess thicker rackets also give less vibration.
with softer material, a thick construction can give higher strength to the racket structure. and hence stiffness and power.

it is clumsy if u swing fast, but it can be comfortable for those who don't swing it all out.

tkauffm
04-10-2007, 01:07 AM
The thickness of my mfils are fine. I was just curious about the size of lighter racquets. I suppose I'm a bit of a rookie when it comes to racquet composition and technology, but these answers help me to understand more.

BreakPoint
04-10-2007, 02:16 AM
All graphite racquets are hollow on the inside, so what you see on the outside is not indicative of how much material there is in the frame.

pow
04-10-2007, 02:19 AM
thicker beam usually translate to a stiffer stick overall and that's more power from your racquet.