PDA

View Full Version : Anybody add lead tape above the handle?

chair ump
04-10-2007, 06:35 AM
...If so, what effect does that have on the playability of the racquet? Thanks a lot.

travlerajm
04-10-2007, 09:42 AM
...If so, what effect does that have on the playability of the racquet? Thanks a lot.

More power and less spin. A little goes a long way.

chair ump
04-10-2007, 10:08 AM
I wrapped 12 in. of 1/2 in. gamma lead tape above the handle of my Vantage racquet. The specs of my Vantage Custom are:
100 sq in.
330 g
12 pts HL
63 RA

I've heard that putting lead above the handle can make a racquet feel as if it is stiffer...any validity to this?

travlerajm
04-10-2007, 10:24 AM
I wrapped 12 in. of 1/2 in. gamma lead tape above the handle of my Vantage racquet. The specs of my Vantage Custom are:
100 sq in.
330 g
12 pts HL
63 RA

I've heard that putting lead above the handle can make a racquet feel as if it is stiffer...any validity to this?

Yes, it will increase the dynamic stiffness of the frame. This makes it feel crisper and more stable on volleys, at the expense of less spin.

chair ump
04-10-2007, 10:25 AM
T-

Thanks for your input, can't wait to try it out...I'll let you know how it goes!

travlerajm
04-10-2007, 10:30 AM
T-

Thanks for your input, can't wait to try it out...I'll let you know how it goes!

My advice is to tune your racquet until it feels right. Believe it or not, 1g is noticeable - so don't be satisfied until it feels right.

My preferred method for counterweight tuning is to wrap lead tape with the paper still on around the handle, and secure on the outside of the grip with a rubber band. That way I can slide it up and down the handle easily until I have it in the right spot (lower for more spin, higher for more power). Once I have it right, I unwrap the grip and put it underneath.

stormholloway
04-10-2007, 09:09 PM
I think that's an awkward spot for weight, personally. Add to the handle or head in my opinion. Not the spot in between.