PDA

View Full Version : Please, help to find the right one

RedKat
04-10-2007, 07:39 AM
Here is my problem. I got a nasty shoulder injury some years ago (torn labrum). After having a surgery, post-op recovery, PT, etc, eventually, I started playing again a couple of years ago. I was not able to use PS 6.0 85 that I have played with before the injury. I have switched to i.Prestige that gave me definitely more power on the serve and ground strokes. Still there was not enough power on the serve; moreover, my shoulder was hurting every time I played. Then I have tried a PD and was using it quite successfully for more then a year; I found the lacking power and my shoulder felt OK. But then another problem has appeared: a really bad tennis elbow. So, I switched to PK5G and gradually TE has disappeared. But now again, I miss that serving power of PD. When I try to serve harder and force it a bit my shoulder feels really bad.
Please, advise what kind of racket I should get. I need something as light and powerful as PD but definitely much easy on the arm. I am not looking at other sticks of PK because they are out of business and it is almost impossible to get them here in Europe (my PK5G I got online without demoing, because I new it was a sure bet TE therapy-wise).

bad_call
04-10-2007, 07:53 AM
for ur TE, i suggest a softer flex racquet. i use a Volkl and am quite happy with it. btw - what is ur skill level? can't really recommend a "player's" racquet if ur not up to it.

my gf had rotator cuff surgery and i've been teaching her a better serving motion. her serve has increased in pace and her shoulder feels better with the change. however she needs to continue practicing til it becomes 2nd nature to her and she doesn't revert back to old ways. anyway u might want to get some serving lessons from a tennis coach who's in the know when it comes to serving.

good luck.

RedKat
04-10-2007, 08:28 AM
It is difficult to say what skill level I am at. I would guess strong 3.5 - weak 4.0. Also, I am 41, well fit, doing regularly strength exercises. I don't think I want a "player" racket, that is why I am asking to advise me on a comfortable "tweener".
It is a good advise to have my serving motion revised, the problem, however, I do not know a coach that I can trust, at least in the area, were I live.

bad_call
04-10-2007, 09:47 AM
u might want to check on colleges, or high schools in ur area that have a tennis team (coach) and consult with them.

here's a volkl that's on sale if ur interested. it may be too light for u depending on what ur used to. however it is easier to add weight to the racquet than take it away.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCVOLKL-VT6G2.html

RedKat
04-10-2007, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the advise. The problem that I am in Europe; here we have different system, no college tennis like in the US. Coaches mainly private or with clubs.
Thanks for the link, the racket looks good but I am not sure I want to by it from TW because of the sending costs to Europe + the import tax. It will cost me a lot. Can you suggest something similar from the current Volkl line? DNX8?

bad_call
04-10-2007, 11:44 AM
maybe NBMJ can suggest since his knowledge of Volkl's far exceed mine. btw - he is one of the forumers that provided me with sound advice when i was in the market for a softer flexing players racquet.

hey NBMJ can u chime in please?

samster
04-10-2007, 12:25 PM
Redkat,

I have had shoulder problems on and off and I highly recommend the PK Redondo MP. It is one awsome stick; well worth the $140 investment new or get an used one from the For Sale section. You will not be disappointed.

fgs
04-10-2007, 01:21 PM
try to demo a wilson npro open or a wilson ntour two 95.