PDA

View Full Version : junior tennis racquet

schleppy
04-10-2007, 12:37 PM
My son is a 9 year old USTA junior player (intermediate) He is ready for tournament play. He currently plays with a Wilson n pro open 25 junior racquet.
I want to get him two of the same racquets, strung the same etc.
What recommendations can anyone give me on what would be a good set up for him getting into tournaments.
Thanks
Schleppy

Nick b
04-10-2007, 12:43 PM
a K90 with luxilon and natural gut at 55

nah im kidding he can usea babolat aero pro junior with cheap strings cos he won't exactly be ripping the ball i would say poly in mains (babolat pro hurricane) and cheap synthetic in crosses( wilson sensation) everything at 54 thats just my suggestion or u could demo a couple of racquets and let him play with them and see which one he likes more?

predrag
04-10-2007, 01:03 PM
My son is a 9 year old USTA junior player (intermediate) He is ready for tournament play. He currently plays with a Wilson n pro open 25 junior racquet.
I want to get him two of the same racquets, strung the same etc.
What recommendations can anyone give me on what would be a good set up for him getting into tournaments.
Thanks
Schleppy

25 is way too small for the 9 y.o.
Are you sure it is not 26 in. version?
Aero Pro junior is good suggestion, however, I would never recommend poly
for the small kid.

I would not really expect him to be breaking strings, at all, but if you want
him to have 2 of the kind, that is fine.
Just go with Synthetic gut.

But expect to be buying regular size racquet soon.

Regards, Predrag

fgs
04-10-2007, 01:42 PM
schleppy,
how tall is your son?
my son is almost 8 and getting close to 130cm - currently playing pro staff 25". i'm considering him to switch to some 26" when he gets to 135cm, and above 140-143cm i'd set him up with a lighter adult frame (the nsix-two for instance or the k6.1 team).

jagmeister
04-10-2007, 02:02 PM
I agree with the other posters that a 25 would generally be considered too "junior" for a nine year old boy. My daughter played with a 26 Prince Shark Junior when she was eight and well under the recommended height requirements for that racquet length. She recently switched to a Hybrid Shark MP because she felt the 26 Junior racquet was not stable enough when balls were hit hard to her.

Though she was not the recommended height for using the longer racquet, she is able to handle it. Along the same lines, I would recommend your boy use the heaviest racquet he can play effectively with right now.