PDA

View Full Version : Why so little love for the Rok?

harryz
04-10-2007, 12:45 PM
Some call it a toy (Deuce), others too flexible. I suspect that they haven't hit with a properly strung early version (with "Hyper Carbon Double Braided") on the side, which plays much more solidly than the later ones ("Wilson") on the side that feel lighter and flimsier-- these are more than a bit toylike. I'm collecting the early versions and have compared them extensively to the K90 mid, nCode 6.1 90, PS 85 China and early Taiwan models, and PC600, all racquets I've owned and liked (K90) or loved (PS 85 and PC 600). The Rok beats them all for me. It even beats the wonderful RDS 001-- my second favorite stick of the past 5 years and my vote for best current production frame (I haven't tried a DNX10 mid and don't care for Volkls much, or for Babolats for that matter-- even the Pure Control).

Yes, the Rok is bit softer and not quite as powerful as the K90 and nCode, but way more powerful than TW's 52 rating. No way this is only 60 in stiffness compared to the RDX 500 mid; more like 62-63 if the RDS 001 is 65... For me, its control and feel are the best of the lot, as is manueverability. A great racquet, and I can't help wonder whether detractors have only tried the early version. The 18x20 pattern offers terrific control and plenty of spin provided you get "under" the ball and prepare properly for topspin groundies. Sliced BHs are a dream, as are serves and volleys. I have four and would love to stock up on more. Anyone else out there loving this frame? Maybe I should start a club...

mary fierce
04-10-2007, 12:53 PM
The question most of us have is "why any love for the Rok?" Small head, underpowered, the racquet of yesteryear. Every racquet has good control once you learn its tendencies. Toss the thing in a Rokheap.

NoBadMojo
04-10-2007, 12:55 PM
The ROK is a very comfortable frame, but also very demanding with the weight, string density, and power level. hardly a toy. it's a really solid bat. As I understand, it was the frame that they originally were making for Fed, but he nixed it.....perhaps too demanding for Fed

Tennis Man
04-10-2007, 02:11 PM
I love the way it plays but ... it's not better than PS 85 / 90, n6.1 / k 90 ... I'm also not crazy about it's wierd elongated head shape ...

Pro Staff Pete
04-10-2007, 02:13 PM
Federer played some doubles matches with it if I'm not mistaken.

nickb
04-10-2007, 02:14 PM
It would have been more popular if they made it with an open string pattern. There is no power or forgiveness there and like tennisman says its not very good when compared to wilsons other players rackets. I always thought it looked a bit weird in the wilson lineup..

harryz
04-10-2007, 03:01 PM
I played with virtually every version of the PS 85 for years and wanted to like the nCode 90, Tour 90 and k90. Maybe I need(ed) to live with them longer. The Rok is like a PC 600 with a Wilson grip and I don't find it underpowered at all. Hmmmm.... What I did notice in comparisons is that it is less head light than the other PS series frames and maybe that's part of other people's reactions too. Interesting how reactions differ.

hsua
04-10-2007, 03:21 PM
I wish I never sold my pair of Rok's, it was great for serving and such, but back then my game wasn't as developed so I ditched it... now I want it back! I remember the rok played worlds better when you strung it a little than mid.

Kirko
04-10-2007, 04:06 PM
The question most of us have is "why any love for the Rok?" Small head, underpowered, the racquet of yesteryear. Every racquet has good control once you learn its tendencies. Toss the thing in a Rokheap.

really underpowered was its biggest flaw. I checked it out for almost a week & a 1/2 when it came out. BLEAK!!!!!!!!

KOtennis
04-10-2007, 04:39 PM
i liked it, but i like more open string patterns.

but maybe i should have bought it off my friend when he was getting rid of 2 of them.

gerrym40
04-10-2007, 05:23 PM
I also like the ROK. I felt the racket had awesome control and great feel. After demoing it I thought it was a light weight Wilson Prestige Classic clone.

anirut
04-10-2007, 06:30 PM
Frankly, I like the ROK more than the PC600.

nBladed
04-10-2007, 11:05 PM
I played with them for several years. Loved the feel. I also was wondering why there wasn't more love for the ROK.

A little lead weight and BLAMMO! Balls were coming off the bat like lightning. I sold all four that I had months ago after I switched to the nBlade. Someone was selling a new one for cheap here and I rebought it. Reunited.

There isn't any racket that does drop shots or slices better. Serves I can also get some nice power.

After some time with the ROK (back then) I realized that I am a natural top spinner and the ROK is definitely a flat hitters hardcore control stick. Thus, I made the switch. For awhile I couldn't find anything that had as nice a feel as the ROK does.

nBladed
04-10-2007, 11:08 PM
Frankly, I like the ROK more than the PC600.

Funny, I felt the same. I also feel the same about the SURGE, Wilson's PURE DRIVE copy.

znoopie
04-11-2007, 12:22 AM
I liked the look of it so much that I kept buying one after another and at one time I had about 8-9 of them. Specwise, it seems to suit my flat strokes pretty well. I tried to like it but it's too demanding. I had to give my best shot on every stroke and I was being pushed around too much sometimes by my hitting partner who was using a Wilson Hammer. I ended up selling all of them but two.

The ROK is definitely not like a toy but somehow doesn't feel as solid as the PC600, and I'm not talking about the 'feel' here. I can hit a nice clean ball with the ROK (which, of course, wasn't very often) but not as heavy as the PC600. The ROK also feel more headlight than the PC600 to me although the spec says the opposite.

BounceHitBounceHit
04-11-2007, 11:09 AM
The ROK is a very comfortable frame, but also very demanding with the weight, string density, and power level. hardly a toy. it's a really solid bat. As I understand, it was the frame that they originally were making for Fed, but he nixed it.....perhaps too demanding for Fed

Mongo, you are too funny man. :-D

BTW, I agree with everything you said. I could NOT generate pace off the ground or serve with that thing to save my life!!!

Best,

CC

SFrazeur
04-11-2007, 11:16 AM
Here is the TW review for the ROK 93.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/ROK92/ROK92Review.html

vkartikv
04-11-2007, 02:15 PM
It didn't have a box beam, did it? For some reason I have never liked rounded beam racquets. The head-shape was also very un-wilsonlike.

harryz
04-11-2007, 02:32 PM
kind of like a cross between a Yonex RDS 001 and a Prestige mid. I'm with you on this. I'd much rather have the tradional PS head shape and 16xd18/19 pattern with the same flex or maybe 62-63 or so. If only the nCode 6.1 90 had a normal flex and distribution. I guess that would mean an actual PS 90, huh, rather than the K90 (which I've found simply too stiff) or nCode 6.1 90 (the damn thing seems so uneven to me. For some reason I seem to shank balls WAY more often than with other frames I've tried...)?

The thing is that some days the Rok is just perfect for me. Others, like last night, I just can't seem to get in the groove. Probably not the racquet. Okay, DEFINITELY NOT the racquet. Usually, though, I can focus on watching the ball off of the other guy's strings and on to the blur at contact, making sure that I'm on my toes, moving lightly and following through, exhaling at contact. When I do this simple stuff most everything falls into place... usually. Doesn't matter if I'm hitting with topspin, slice or flat or where I am on the court. I usually have pretty good feel for the ball and have long, smooth and classic strokes, so I'm told. People who see me play often assume that I'm a teaching pro (and I intend to get my USPTR for fun some day); I'm still a slow, over 40 white guy who should be playing 5.0-5.5 more regularly. Anyway, nothing jelled last night and I was too damn spotty. Then again, I played indoors against a guy who is clever and varies spin, placement and pace pretty effectively, thereby limiting groove and rhythm. Just wasn't goin 'on. AND it ain't the racquet's fault. I could probably choose one, stick with it for a year, get used to it and be just fine. Couldn't we all?

I want to do more experimenting with strings on the Rok and also re-string my buddy's nCode 6.1 90, which I had strung last fall with a VS tonic hybrid that was sweet until I popped it last weekend. Will try it again, restrung with NRG 17 at 60lbs or so tonight or tomorrow and give it a try compared to the Rok... Otherwise, I'm open to ideas. A huge factor for me is that the Wilson grip shape beats all of the others. And please don't recommend Vantage (or Kennex-- too hard to find demos).

Harry

vkartikv
04-11-2007, 02:35 PM
I never liked the ncode 90s and the k90. Even though they're supposed to be 8-9 pts HL, they swing too heavy, nothing like the ps 85. What happened to your affair with the 85? Too 'rok'ky eh? :p

tkauffm
04-11-2007, 02:37 PM
Sorry, what's a Rok?

harryz
04-11-2007, 03:04 PM
available from around 2002-2004 or so. It was in the same generation as the Tour 90/95 and was available in 93 and 102 head size. It had an unusual head shape, for Wilson, and seemed to be their answer to the Head Prestige line.

Kartik, I still love the PS 85 and am tempted by the two that my friend wants me to sell. Mid 90s Taiwan models in 3/8 with Fairway grips and original covers. Sweet. If only 90sq in....

What are you using now? DNX10?

BounceHitBounceHit
04-11-2007, 04:11 PM
kind of like a cross between a Yonex RDS 001 and a Prestige mid. I'm with you on this. I'd much rather have the tradional PS head shape and 16xd18/19 pattern with the same flex or maybe 62-63 or so. If only the nCode 6.1 90 had a normal flex and distribution. I guess that would mean an actual PS 90, huh, rather than the K90 (which I've found simply too stiff) or nCode 6.1 90 (the damn thing seems so uneven to me. For some reason I seem to shank balls WAY more often than with other frames I've tried...)?

The thing is that some days the Rok is just perfect for me. Others, like last night, I just can't seem to get in the groove. Probably not the racquet. Okay, DEFINITELY NOT the racquet. Usually, though, I can focus on watching the ball off of the other guy's strings and on to the blur at contact, making sure that I'm on my toes, moving lightly and following through, exhaling at contact. When I do this simple stuff most everything falls into place... usually. Doesn't matter if I'm hitting with topspin, slice or flat or where I am on the court. I usually have pretty good feel for the ball and have long, smooth and classic strokes, so I'm told. People who see me play often assume that I'm a teaching pro (and I intend to get my USPTR for fun some day); I'm still a slow, over 40 white guy who should be playing 5.0-5.5 more regularly. Anyway, nothing jelled last night and I was too damn spotty. Then again, I played indoors against a guy who is clever and varies spin, placement and pace pretty effectively, thereby limiting groove and rhythm. Just wasn't goin 'on. AND it ain't the racquet's fault. I could probably choose one, stick with it for a year, get used to it and be just fine. Couldn't we all?

I want to do more experimenting with strings on the Rok and also re-string my buddy's nCode 6.1 90, which I had strung last fall with a VS tonic hybrid that was sweet until I popped it last weekend. Will try it again, restrung with NRG 17 at 60lbs or so tonight or tomorrow and give it a try compared to the Rok... Otherwise, I'm open to ideas. A huge factor for me is that the Wilson grip shape beats all of the others. And please don't recommend Vantage (or Kennex-- too hard to find demos).

Harry

Hi Harry,

Just for the record, I am loving your K90's! Thanks man.

Did you try the K90 strung with a gut/poly hybrid? I think Mojo's Klip Legend M's and Isospeed Pro C's rig is very playable, durable, and definitely 'softens up' the feel of the K90 w/o giving up power.

Best,

CC

harryz
04-12-2007, 07:05 AM
you mean you actually took out the Gosen and PSGD that I strung 'em with? I would have, too. That's all I had on hand.... Happy that they found a good home.

Harry

ty slothrop
04-12-2007, 12:20 PM

Harry

best stringing combo - 18g bow gut in the mains at 48, bb ace in the crosses at 46. sounds crazy low, but I can promise you will find control. and though most cite the lack of power as the rok's downfall, I find this fascinating. the power is there, you just have to find it. Took me about a month, then I found it like turning on a light. Once you get the hang of it, I am convinced this is one of the best serving rackets around - I get more pace, weight, and control than when I serve with a surge or PD.

I still have two - my go-to rackets for practice and matches at my level.

Dopke
04-25-2007, 09:28 PM
The power is there for the ROK, it just takes a lot more to generate that power. I keep coming back to the ROK after a few stints with the n6.1 95 18x20 and Yonex RDX500. The ROK's dense string pattern is awesome for control. I added a couple grams of leadtape at the 3 and 9 positions because I found it lacked a little stability against harder hit shots and serves. The biggest trouble I find is serving a top spin serve with the ROK. Like ty said above though, you have to take time to find that power and you really need to have good technique to wield this beast :P

Also, truer these days than before- I love how I can pick up a fairly new or even used ROK these days for sub 50 dollars. :) Keeps expenses low.

harryz
04-26-2007, 06:28 AM
as much as I like the Roks, I decided to switch to the Pro Staff Classic (6.1) 95. I like the open pattern, and the early ones aren't so stiff as people claim. Maybe around 62 or so. Anyway, I sold my two 4 1/2 Roks and still have two 3/8 if anyone is interested. I have a pair of heat shrink 1/4" plastic to build up grips and an extra set of grommets/bumper. email if you want pics. My ad is in the classifieds. Great racquets-- still among my favorites along with the PS 6.1, PS 6.0, PC 600, and RDS001 mid...

Harry

Simbah2004
04-26-2007, 03:47 PM
Power. I just could not get the ball deep all the time in long rallies without having to swing the heck out of the racquet. And It's a tough racquet to hit with heavy topspin. And my serve also suffered.
But control was great. Now I play with the Prestige Mid, and it has more power and it's easier to generate spin than the Rok. Not to mention the serving capabilities the Prestiges are well known for.