PDA

View Full Version : how to make up for lack of match experience

iplaybetter
04-10-2007, 03:37 PM
i lack match experience and it shows, i can outplay most people i play but lose barbecues of my lack of experience and ability to win big points what can i do help make up for my lack of match experience

Nuke
04-10-2007, 04:02 PM
barbecues = because

Best tyop I've seen in awhile.

Hewitt Aussie
04-10-2007, 04:46 PM
barbecues = because

Best TYPO I've seen in awhile.
You are right though, that is pretty far off, haha.

iplaybetter
04-10-2007, 04:53 PM
can we get past my typing, I am actually in need of help

Nuke
04-10-2007, 05:42 PM
OK, back on topic. I don't know that there's any substitute for experience in this case. But if you are saying that you beat other players in casual games but not in match play, then maybe you should try to approach matches the same as a casual game, and not put too much pressure on yourself. Obviously there are some points that are bigger than others, but if lesser players are beating you on those, maybe you're overthinking and playing differently from your norm.

raiden031
04-10-2007, 05:43 PM
Sorry but I still can't get over how somebody can be thinking "because" and have it come out as "barbecue", that is just amazing.

iplaybetter
04-10-2007, 05:48 PM
i used the spell check and accidentally picked the wrong word

on topic i played and dominated a match today over a lesser player, but sill lost

103xStateChamp
04-10-2007, 06:31 PM
LOL you cant dominate a match and lose

Pusher
04-11-2007, 04:41 AM
i lack match experience and it shows, i can outplay most people i play but lose barbecues of my lack of experience and ability to win big points what can i do help make up for my lack of match experience

Get more match experience and eat lots of BBQ.

There are no shortcuts.

Supernatural_Serve
04-11-2007, 04:51 AM
You can't replace playing against a variety of people with various styles, approaches, and strengths and weaknesses. You have to play matches.

My advice in the near term: Go for winners and hit big shots whenever possible hoping to end points fast because once it becomes apparent to your opponent that you lack match experience, the first thing he will do is start working the geometry of the court against you leaving you out of position easily.

iplaybetter
04-11-2007, 01:32 PM
my problem is that i do that and hit way to many erros, and my oppenet is not that thoughtful he just does

NebAce1
04-11-2007, 02:32 PM
OK, back on topic. I don't know that there's any substitute for experience in this case. But if you are saying that you beat other players in casual games but not in match play, then maybe you should try to approach matches the same as a casual game, and not put too much pressure on yourself. Obviously there are some points that are bigger than others, but if lesser players are beating you on those, maybe you're overthinking and playing differently from your norm.

Exactly right. This used to happen to me all the time, and I couldn't get over it, but I eventually just played more tournaments.

fgs
04-11-2007, 03:40 PM
1. just play more tournaments. tournament matches are different from practice matches.
2. when at practice, try playing from different scores - like who wins three points in a row wins the game, or when you serve start from 0-30 so you have to concentrate to come back from behind, or start with 30-0 so you concentrate on winning the next two points and close the game. same can be applied for return games. each and every point as well as each and every gamestyle of your opponent requires a different tactical approach. practice this and then hope / work for applying it also in tournament play. good luck and have fun.

tenniskid3119
04-11-2007, 04:46 PM
ha........ barbecue..

XxduckxX
04-12-2007, 01:31 PM
maybe he was hungry

I type different things when im thinking of something rarely but yea

Forehand Forever
04-12-2007, 02:26 PM
Mario Tennis willl give you some match experience.

or you could always play against some friends then have a BBQ afterwards

ibringtheHEAT
04-12-2007, 05:10 PM
ha........ barbecue..

tenniskid..........where are you located?

I live in Spring about 30 min NE of Houston, my friend was playing the ZAT In Waco as well, sounds like it was tons of fun =]

Anyways if you live close we should go hit sometime.

Roger_Federer.
04-12-2007, 05:15 PM
Practice is all I can say

shojun25
04-12-2007, 06:27 PM
barbecues = because

Best tyop I've seen in awhile.

lol... cracking up :D I'm guessing that the guy was hungry when he was typing.

Now to a more serious note (;) ), practice practice practice!!!

LarougeNY
04-12-2007, 07:38 PM
There really is no substitute for going into a tournament feeling confident then getting thrashed around by the No. 2 or 3 seed. If you get lucky you can play the No.1 seed and really learn some lessons (Unless the No.1 seed sucks and got the seeding b/c he plays tournaments every week and wins a match or two vs. noobs).

Its all a learning experience, you win and you lose. You need the experience to learn how to win.

EasternRocks
05-08-2007, 05:56 PM
just play alot more tournaments and practice more intensivly