PDA

View Full Version : Head Classic Tour Racquets/Head Prestige Classic 600 Mid Racquets

califsurferboy33
04-10-2007, 06:09 PM
Hey,

Whats the main differences between these rackets other then the grip? As I see, there is a huge price difference and I'm just wondering why. I currently play with a babolat pure drive team (without cortex) with a lot of lead tape on it at 3 and 9. I'm looking for more spin and more control in my game...do either/both of these rackets suit me and should I demo one of them? Thanks! I have a powerful forehand which i use to dictace points and a two handed backhanded and a nasty one handed slice lol. I'm mostly a baseline player who does come to net every once in a while. Thanks.

bk

ambro
04-10-2007, 06:39 PM
More spin than the PD? Look far, far away from the Prestige line. Control you would find, but you would also find much less spin.

Look to the O3 Tour Mid or MP. They both had similar power to the PD, but more control and more spin (especially with the MP).

retrowagen
04-10-2007, 07:01 PM
The Classic Tour is a midplus (102 sq-in or so), the Prestige Classic 600 is a "demanding" 18x20 90 sq-in (more or less) mid. Both are considered flexible compared to fat framed modern rackets (these are based on 1986-introduced frames, where the only major changes over the last 21 years have been cosmetic). And don't confuse the Classic Tour with the Prestige Tour or Classic Mid: the Classic Tour is the larger racket; the Classic Mid is the same racket as the PC600 (with slightly different graphics), and the Prestige Tour is a PC600 (mid) with a vibration-absorbing grip pallet. Some people get these three confused.

I've played with the PC600 for quite a long time and it suits my game (5.0 all-courter with long-limbed, super long strokes) perfectly. I can do anything with this racket; I string them at the maximum tension for maximum control and I add all the power. I can hit whatever spin I need, although with its denser pattern and shorter overall string length, one really has to be intent on generating spin. The Classic Tour is more flexible and larger headed, so it should be easier to generate spin, albeit at the expense of overall control.

Word on the street is that Classic Tours tend to self-destruct rather quickly. Even the earlier 1994 Austrian models. Perhaps the sleek thinbeam frame was a little too thin on that one. I've never had this trouble with my PC mids in the last 16 years with them, but I treat them very well (apart from high string tension).

Both of these are vastly different rackets than what the OP is using presently. I don't think he will find more spin with either, but he might find more control and precision with the PC600 (mid), depending on his skills and game.

squints
04-11-2007, 10:13 PM
defintely go with ambro's recommendation. The o3 tour have so much spin potential it is insane. I really like it better than the PD, at first people dont like the feel, but hit with it for awhile. great control and spin potential, it really sounds like what you are looking for. I personally didn't like the cortex system, or the PD, I preferred the pure control series better.