PDA

View Full Version : Comfort vs Results

McGee
04-10-2007, 06:33 PM
OK, tonight I played four sets of high level doubles with two completely different frames. One was a Head Extreme Pro (100", stiff, very round, kind of light) and the other was a Volkl Tour 10 DNX mid (93", flexy, "not round", over twelve ounces). The comfort level and shot making was unbelievable with the Volkl. We won 1 out of two sets and the stick felt like an extension of my arm. I did not lose serve in either set but we managed only a split. With the Microgel I was hitting more bomb serves, had more spin, and had more power. We won both sets and my game was probably a bit better (but not much better) than with the DNX. Only thing is that my elbow felt a bit "twinged" with the Head stick and it also felt much less comfortable and "solid". Have others had to decide between a slightly more powerful game versus a more arm safe and "fun" game.....I have to say the Volkl frame was more enjoyable to play with but my overall success was probably better with the Head. Any feedback? Should I stick with the comfort frame and work on gaining more power with strings, etc.? Just wondering on a Tuesday night. Thanks

Kevo
04-10-2007, 06:48 PM
Power can be fun, but not many matches between closely matched players are won on power. I had about 4 lob winners in my doubles matches last night. The power helps, but being smart and choosing the right shots helps more IMO. If it's not that big a difference between the two frames, I'd go for the frame that is comfortable to play with. Then again, the "twinge" you felt may just be due to the fact that you don't play with a light frame very often and your timing was a bit off. You might get used to it and have no trouble at all. I might give the Head another shot, but if it continues to bother the arm, just get rid of it.

samster
04-10-2007, 06:58 PM
I know where you are coming from.

Tonight I played with Redondo 98 but I also had a Pure Drive Roddick in the bag for backup. I really like playing with the Redondo 98 because this is like the first time in 12 years that I can play tennis without having any discomfort in the shoulder or elbow. My first tennis racket was Head Arthur Ashe competition and have always preferred thin beam frames, was taught tennis traditional way (eastern forehand, closed stance forehand, etc.). The Redondo plays like the RDX 500 series, which are also very comfortable by the way, but I could serve much easier and better with the Redondo. Not sure why.

Then there is the Babolat PDR, hitting big topspin forehands with this racket is effortless and serving big also requires less effort. Volleys, on the other hand, not so good with the Babolat.

Sorry for the long post but I think it boils down to how often you play and your preference. If you are a weekend warrior then frames like Pure Drive Roddick, Extreme Pro can overcome less practice (in my opinion). If you play 3 times a week and is in good shape, I would stick with the classic frames.

I string my Redondo with natural gut to get more power and string my Pure Drive Roddick with cheap synthetic gut to tame the power a little.

Redflea
04-10-2007, 07:03 PM
Are you limited in some way to choosing between the two? Maybe find a third racquet that provides the comfort you want with the results you crave... :)

samster
04-10-2007, 07:05 PM
Are you limited in some way to choosing between the two? Maybe find a third racquet that provides the comfort you want with the results you crave... :)

Could that be the M-Fil 300? ;)

goober
04-10-2007, 07:15 PM

And the search for the Holy grail will begin...

Redflea
04-10-2007, 07:19 PM
Could that be the M-Fil 300? ;)

LOL. No way...there are few enough left, I don't want anyone else buying any... ;)

NoBadMojo
04-10-2007, 07:37 PM
OK, tonight I played four sets of high level doubles with two completely different frames. One was a Head Extreme Pro (100", stiff, very round, kind of light) and the other was a Volkl Tour 10 DNX mid (93", flexy, "not round", over twelve ounces). The comfort level and shot making was unbelievable with the Volkl. We won 1 out of two sets and the stick felt like an extension of my arm. I did not lose serve in either set but we managed only a split. With the Microgel I was hitting more bomb serves, had more spin, and had more power. We won both sets and my game was probably a bit better (but not much better) than with the DNX. Only thing is that my elbow felt a bit "twinged" with the Head stick and it also felt much less comfortable and "solid". Have others had to decide between a slightly more powerful game versus a more arm safe and "fun" game.....I have to say the Volkl frame was more enjoyable to play with but my overall success was probably better with the Head. Any feedback? Should I stick with the comfort frame and work on gaining more power with strings, etc.? Just wondering on a Tuesday night. Thanks

would be helpful if we knew which string and tension each of these frames was strung with.

McGee
04-11-2007, 02:03 AM
would be helpful if we knew which string and tension each of these frames was strung with.

Extreme Pro: FXP Power 16 @ 59 lbs
DNX 10 mid: Volkl multi (it was yellow) @ 59 or 60 lbs

Also FYI I am about a 4.5 all court player; use 2 hand bh and semi western forhand grip but not "lots" of topspin - more old school type player hitting doubs about twice/week and singles once per week on average - cleared the "over 40 age bracket"; in decent shape.

fgs
04-11-2007, 02:22 AM
mcgee,
i have cleared the over 40 bracket too, although i didn't make my racquet choice from your viewpoint. i restarted (after 19 years of absence) with the n6.1 95 and played it for a year. i really felt o.k. with it, that is until i played the nblade (by "accident", demoing some sticks for my wife). it gave me everything the n6.1 95 gave me, plus more comfort and feel (i'm talking about the 106 blades). since you state yourself that the difference between the two racquets was rather slight, i'm sure that you will be able to develop the same power and spin with the voelkl after you have "tuned in" on it. i think that those stiff sticks are for the younger ones, that have grown up on the more modern technique (western grips, windshieldwiper motion, etc.) and hence don't get so much trouble with these light and stiff sticks.

Peter Szucs
04-11-2007, 03:30 AM

There is always that contradiction... the more favourable input a frame gives you the less satisfying the outcome of the stroke is. I am in the same shoes by using the Volkl Tour10 Gen I vs the Babolat Pure Storm. There is always a sacrifice... you will end up choosing the one that hits you less... for me i always end up with the one that gives me the better outcome ie more spin, power, better match stats.. with bleeding heart.. but i am competing in a league so at the end of the day i am result oriented. ps: before you choose try both out in a tough singles match... doubles or practicing may fool you cause you dont get caught off balance etc that often.

bad_call
04-11-2007, 05:51 AM
for me - with more comfort, i hit bigger and go for more...

NoBadMojo
04-11-2007, 06:19 AM
Extreme Pro: FXP Power 16 @ 59 lbs
DNX 10 mid: Volkl multi (it was yellow) @ 59 or 60 lbs

Also FYI I am about a 4.5 all court player; use 2 hand bh and semi western forhand grip but not "lots" of topspin - more old school type player hitting doubs about twice/week and singles once per week on average - cleared the "over 40 age bracket"; in decent shape.

drop the tension in the dnx10Mid down to around 55-56 with the same multi and see if that doesnt give this frame more impact for you. balls may fly on you and you may not be able to spin the ball enough because of the higher swingweight. the frame will be even more comfortable and the sweetspot will be even bigger

do you knoiw what your optimal swingweight is?

McGee
04-11-2007, 06:27 AM
drop the tension in the dnx10Mid down to around 55-56 with the same multi and see if that doesnt give this frame more impact for you. balls may fly on you and you may not be able to spin the ball enough because of the higher swingweight. the frame will be even more comfortable and the sweetspot will be even bigger

do you knoiw what your optimal swingweight is?

Good idea..I will give it a try. I have typically done well with swingweights maxed out in the 320's. My 200g HM was even under that I believe - so the DNX 10 is probably at the very highest of my optimal range (but, boy it sure did feel good!)

fuzz nation
04-11-2007, 09:17 AM
I've definately been charmed by a racquet that really delivered in only one dept., like a monster serve, but it taught me to be more honest with myself about using a frame to hit all my shots well. If the comfort and confidence are there for you in the Volkl, I'd say stick with it, especially if the Head makes your arm hurt.

Not out to make your decision a lot harder, but I demoed that Volkl at the same time I tried a Fischer M Speed 98. I was pretty sure that the Volkl would win me over, but at the end of my week (thank you TW), the Fischer was the clear stand out for me. I'm a 4.0 all-courter with unexotic grips and a very well developed serve. I'm just throwing this log on the fire because you sound like you're worried that you're missing something - if you are, that Fischer may be worth a try.

pow
04-11-2007, 10:10 AM
for me - with more comfort, i hit bigger and go for more...

same for me, if the racquet is jarring or harsh, I tend to hit with bad technique over the course of the hitting session.

squints
04-11-2007, 09:31 PM
also if a racquet is jarring and harsh, and overly stiff, you will eventually feel fatigued, and/or you could even develop injuries. but also remember some racquets are very string and tension sensitive.

ps60
04-28-2007, 09:59 AM
Fun for me, we are not making $$$ out there. If u do, then "results" at all cost :D