PDA

View Full Version : My O3 Tour is defective!

travlerajm
04-10-2007, 10:24 PM
I had noticed that something about my O3 Tour OS was a little off, but until now, I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

I had noticed that when I switched from another racquet and started serving with my O3, my first few serves would always miss 10 feet long and 10 feet to the right. I had also noticed that my first few forehands would miss in the bottom of the net, while my first few backhands would always miss 10 feet long. Because of this, I could never trust it enough to use in a match.

Today I discovered why my racquet played in this way. My pallet is not molded around the shaft at a square angle. Instead, it is rotated about 5 degrees relative to the plane of the stringbed! So the racquet face is 5 degrees too open and to the right on serves, 5 degrees too closed on forehands, and 5 degree too open on backhands. No wonder I was getting brain-cramps trying to compensate for these weird effects.

The problem is that I discovered it only because I sawed the frame down to 26.6" yesterday. The misaligned pallet is very obvious when you look at the shaft. Do you think Prince will own up to this egregious lapse in quality control, even though I've obviously voided the warranty?

If not, I'll probably try to add masking tape to the pallet in a way that will square up the facets of the pallet.

This makes me wonder if other frames with molded foam pallets often have alignment errors this bad?

travlerajm
04-11-2007, 12:23 AM
I corrected the alignment of the facets of the grip by taping strips of overgrip along half of each facet. It should play better now, but I still want to know what Prince will say about this.

onkystomper
04-11-2007, 12:49 AM
i think if you had NOT sawed the grip off they would have no trouble with an exchange. The fact you HAVE means IMO you have 0% chance of them doing anything about it

Fossika
04-11-2007, 01:35 AM
Try anyway, if sawing through it could have caused the problem though you are probably screwed. Just talk to them and see what happens.

Slaz
04-11-2007, 01:51 AM
I think the OP has too much time on his own :)

VGP
04-11-2007, 02:55 AM
How could you not tell is was misaligned?

Five degrees is a lot.

haerdalis
04-11-2007, 03:26 AM
When you take off the grip and remove the buttcap on almost any racquets there will be some differences when it comes to how the pallet is fitted on to the racquet. I have not yet seen an alignment problem on any of my racquets but I think manufacturers should take more care during this part of the racquet making. The grip and handle is of course a very important part of the racquet.

travlerajm
04-11-2007, 08:10 AM
How could you not tell is was misaligned?

Five degrees is a lot.

While I knew that the frame had a problem, I didn't detect the cause of the problem until I removed the buttcap so that I could look at the end of the shaft. And since the buttcap was fixed onto the pallet permanently, there was no way to remove the buttcap without sawing it off like I did. So maybe that helps my case. The racquet is not usable without fixing the alignment problem. The crappy performance led me to sacrifice it by sawing it off in the first place.

But yes, it is 5 degree off - I am not exaggerating. And I am not exaggerating that I had a tendency to hit my serve 10 feet long and 10 feet to the right on the first few balls, and my forehand into the bottom of the net. The worst part is on reaction volleys where I don't have time to consciously adjust the face angle. Considering that I am a 5.0 player, this was unacceptable. There is no way that 5 degrees is within acceptable tolerances.

travlerajm
04-11-2007, 08:19 AM
When you take off the grip and remove the buttcap on almost any racquets there will be some differences when it comes to how the pallet is fitted on to the racquet. I have not yet seen an alignment problem on any of my racquets but I think manufacturers should take more care during this part of the racquet making. The grip and handle is of course a very important part of the racquet.

Most of the frames that I own are palletless - that is, the graphite is molded to the size of the grip. The palletless design ensures that the side of the grip is aligned with the plane of the stringbed.

In this O3 case, it's almost as if one of the factory workers dropped his cigarette butt under the edge of hoop so that the racquet was tilted when the pallet was molded around the shaft. I think Prince should be embarrasses that this somehow passed QA.

ps60
04-11-2007, 08:28 AM
post a photo pls

i knew Prince dun have a good QA, my Diablo MP plays abs. different from my friend's one.
So it is very reasonable for someone to say "I love the O3 tour mid" and another guy say "it sucks !" because they are playing very different sticks (of the same model)

travlerajm
04-11-2007, 08:39 AM
post a photo pls

i knew Prince dun have a good QA, my Diablo MP plays abs. different from my friend's one.
So it is very reasonable for someone to say "I love the O3 tour mid" and another guy say "it sucks !" because they are playing very different sticks (of the same model)

I don't have a cam handy. But now whenever I buy or demo a racquet from now on, I'll make sure to look down the handle and make sure the grip is aligned, just like I do when I choose a pool cue!