PDA

View Full Version : Is it bad to play with a high net?

Ryan in Saratoga
04-11-2007, 06:46 AM
I was just wondering if a high net is a bad thing to play with? All the courts except the ones at my school have nets that are strung tight with no straps in the middle to lower them. I was wondering if this would help me with my serves at all to teach me to put more spin on it and if it would help with my top-spin on my groundies? Or will it mess up my game completely? thanks

Nick b
04-11-2007, 06:54 AM
when serving u shuld hav a tight net and it should be lower in the centre for Tserves

ibringtheHEAT
04-11-2007, 03:20 PM
when serving u shuld hav a tight net and it should be lower in the centre for Tserves

So we should change the height of the net depending on where we plan to serve the ball? :confused:

Playing on a higher net seems like it would help, but I really can't say for sure......I'm sure one of the more experienced members will help you out.

fgs
04-11-2007, 03:33 PM
depending on what you want to practice, there are even exercises where you set up an additional net, so every ball with less than 2m groundclearance will get stuck into the additional net. you learn to reduce netting errors and play also longer balls. of course you wouldn't go that high on a serve-practice.
a higher net in practice will reduce errors in match situations and is common practice procedure.

Movement
04-11-2007, 05:39 PM
That's my experience to, it's a pretty common teaching tool. I've been forced to do it on serves as well, (practicing kick serves).

It's not bad to play with a high net but if it's a real match I would want to make sure the net is propery adjusted. Because it's harder to made those serves down the T if the net is higher than it should be.

Swissv2
04-11-2007, 05:44 PM
For practice a higher net forces you to get used to proper "net clearance". For match play, you must revert to regulation height.

FEDEX1
04-11-2007, 06:20 PM
it's much better then playing with a net too low. a net too high will help you in practice with your net clearence like the before said

go_nadal
04-12-2007, 01:06 AM
Yeh a higher net would allow better clearance over it and therefore reduce the amount of balls hit into the net... And once you get into a proper match it will feel so much easier to hit the ball over the net...

kingdaddy41788
04-12-2007, 01:51 AM
High net = good for practice.
low net = never good.
normal net = matches.

Ryan in Saratoga
04-12-2007, 03:36 PM
alright thanks guy. i was just wondering because the courts that are about 5 minutes away are completly straight which i figured was good to practice serve on and the courts at my school are regulation which is were we play our matches.

Thanks again.

shojun25
04-12-2007, 06:23 PM
Yah, higher nets (not dramatically high) are good to practice kick serves. That's what I do if all the other public courts in my area are occupied.

armand
04-12-2007, 06:33 PM
Is it bad to play with a high net? Not if you intend to come to net a lot.

mrmo1115
04-29-2007, 02:29 PM
i agree with the post above ^^ lols