PDA

View Full Version : Liquidation rackets any good?

bbfifas
04-11-2007, 11:44 AM
Hello,

New to the forum, some really good info on here.

I am interested in a new racket. TW has some cheap liquidation rackets. I am a advancing beginner and have only owned 1 racket (Wilson n6 110", 10 oz.). I use a 2 hander and play mainly topspin from the baseline, some doubles play as well. I wanted to demo 4 rackets from TW and find something for a good price.

Ive narrowed it down to the following for demo, any input on these rackets for my level would be appreciated:

Dunlop Mfil 300
Dunlop Mfil 400
Prince Shark Mid +
Head LM 4

The head size of those is around 100". Is dropping from 110" to 100" a HUGE difference?

Thanks in advance,

B

IT WAS IN!!!
04-11-2007, 01:31 PM
Mfil 300, Prince Shark, and the Head LM Radical MP would be great choices

Doc Hollidae
04-11-2007, 01:37 PM
If you play with an OS, the LM Radical OS would be a nice change.

fgs
04-11-2007, 01:47 PM
you could also give the ntour 95 a try. the 95 headsize should not scare you away from it. i wouldn't go with the lm4 and about the dunlops and prince i cannot say anything as i had no possibility to play them at all.

dirtballer
04-11-2007, 01:52 PM
You indicated that you've been using a 10 oz racket and that you played topspin from the baseline. You didn't indicate the balance of your racket. What balance do you like? The Head LM4 and the Mfil 400 are slightly head heavy rackets. The Prince Shark is fairly hefty also. Normally, you'd think for your topspin you'd want a racket that you can generate a lot of racket head speed. You may not be able to generate as much racket head speed with a head heavy racket but it really depends on the individual. Many people on this board love the Mfil 300. It's a players racket but that doesn't necessarily mean an advanced beginner couldn't use it. I've never hit with the Mfil 300 so I can't give you any personal experience. You said you're going to demo all four so that should give you a good comparison. Keep in mind that you can use some lead tape to alter the balance. At $70 - $80, all four of these rackets are good value. Best of luck.

bbfifas
04-11-2007, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the responses so far.

My current racket is rated at 3 pts HH, but with a shrink wrap its prolly around even. I know a lot of people play with HL rackets and graduate to a heavier stick so I figured I give it a try.

My only concern is if changing to 100" head from 110" OS will be a mistake or a correct transition.

B

fgs
04-11-2007, 03:46 PM
bbfifas,
you can at least give it a try. after having played with those 100" you can best evaluate if your game is ready or not for this. go with the stick you feel most comfortable with and don't care so much about headsize. headsize is just one of the components that make up a racquet and believe me, there are racquets out there with 95, 98 whatever headsize that will feel good and help you develop your game.

rhcolt07
04-11-2007, 05:09 PM
I recently switched from a 110" Oversize racquet down to a 98 with my Liquidmetal and it doesn't feel like a big difference to me. I like the Dunlop M-Fil 300, and you might want to look into the M-Fil 200 too. The only problem I can think of you having from changing headsizes is if you hit the ball on the outer parts of the racquet; then you would have to adapt to a smaller headsize. Other than that, you should have no problem switching. I would also look into the Radical too, it has a good amount of power combined with good control.

Simon Brown
04-11-2007, 05:19 PM
I recently picked up a couple of LM Radical OS from liquidation and am really liking them - bargain. They're not really beginner racquets as you have to generate your own pace, but in return they have a soft feel and good control. Excellent for topspin baseline play with a double-handed backhand.

A friend of mine plays with the LM4 and seems to like it. I'd probably recommend that one or the Radical OS as both will give you more power than the Radical mid plus.

grizzly4life
04-11-2007, 06:12 PM
i enjoyed my iradical OS. which i think is similar to LM radical OS.

LM radical MP got the highest rating by far in the history of TW testing. 2 of the 5-6 testers permanently switched to it.... so i don't see how you can wrong

fuzz nation
04-11-2007, 10:10 PM
The LM Radical and M-Fil 300 are both worth a try among the liquidation frames - you could be happy for quite a while with either one. Don't worry about a racquet's headsize until you try it. I've switched from a 95 to a 92 sq in head and the sweetspot on the smaller one feels at least as big as the larger one for me.