PDA

View Full Version : Help! Looking for Light Players Racquet!

tensgrl16
04-11-2007, 12:22 PM
Hey....I'm needing some help in finding a good light players racquet. I'm a 4.5 player (girl) and looking for something that would be more in the 10.4 - 10.8 oz and has a 95-98 head with a closed string pattern. I hit flat and hard from the baseline but also need a good stick that can volley also. Got any ideas? Thanx.

IT WAS IN!!!
04-11-2007, 12:25 PM
Yonex RDS 002, Dunlop M-fil/aerogel 300

EDIT: yes yes mistake

ambro
04-11-2007, 12:35 PM
I hope you meant Aerogel 300, because the 200 is nowhere near 10.4-10.8 oz. It may be the heaviest stock racquet I've used.

But the 300 would be a decent choice.

fgs
04-11-2007, 12:36 PM
try to demo a wilson nblade 98.

Craig Sheppard
04-11-2007, 12:42 PM
The Babolat Pure Storm seems to have a decent following here... might try that, it's 11oz even strung. I tried it once, just wasn't my cup of tea, but it might work for you.

dr_punk
04-11-2007, 12:48 PM
try the nTour 95... theres a couple of 13-15 yr old girls in the club where I work at that use these. Great sticks, I used to play with them.

Doc Hollidae
04-11-2007, 12:50 PM
Within those specifications: K6.1 Team, FXP Prestige Team, and FXP Heat. Most of the rackets in that weight class tend to be open patterns.

dennis1188
04-11-2007, 01:07 PM
If u want a approx. 10 oz. 'light' player's racket try the prince scream mp or os. U can generate great racket head speed and topspin esp w/ a small grip size.
Great deal only approx. $55 here at TW.

mclee025
04-11-2007, 01:43 PM
The LM Radical MP is about 11.2 ounces with an 18x20 string pattern and a 98 inch head. It's a nice medium powered player's racquet that good for vollies.

dr_punk
04-11-2007, 01:55 PM
The LM Radical MP is about 11.2 ounces with an 18x20 string pattern and a 98 inch head. It's a nice medium powered player's racquet that good for vollies.

or she can get a 10 oz racquet and lead it up, if she thinks its too heavy, she can strip it off, nevertheless with a radical, the weight is always going to be 11.2

Anton
04-11-2007, 01:55 PM
Yonex RQ7 (I have one but it's too light for me, pm me if you want it)

also Wilson nTour 95 is a solid racket if you play really aggressive.

squints
04-11-2007, 03:22 PM
ntour and lm radical. I especially like the ntour

fgs
04-11-2007, 03:28 PM
since you wanted a closed string pattern i suggested the nblade 98. some other posters suggested the ntour 95 which i find to be a very good racquet, but it has a 16mains stringpattern, and the lm radical is also worth a try. just take them out for a demo and see which fits you better.

tensgrl16
04-11-2007, 04:07 PM
Thanks all for the suggestions please keep them coming...maybe I should give you the run down of racquets I have gone through in the past year and a half.

currently using: Wilson ntour-two (o.k. but missing a little something)
just tried for 2 weeks: Head MicroGel Extreme (clunky (for lack of a better term)
have used: Head flexpoint racdical tour (not enough behind the ball)
Head Flexpoint FXP Radical team (not enough racquet)
Wilson npro open (o.k. but produces too much spin)
Wilson nblade (too heavy)
Head Liquidmetal radical tour model (good stick but by the time I get to the 3 match it's heavy!)
Wilson nSix-Two ncode (too bulky)
Babolat Pure Storm Team (o.k. but felt aweful on mishits)
Wilson n6 (too light)

O.k. so I'm very picky. I also have played around with lead tape in different areas on pretty much all the sticks....but still didn't get the results I was looking for. I like the heavier sticks...but after a set or two the sticks just get too heavy so thought I'd try going the other way and try some lighter player sticks.

Does anyone have any experience with the following racquets? Yonex RDS 002 (10.9 oz), Yonex RQS 11 (not sure i'll like the bulk of it but it seems to have some good reviews), Wilson K factor KSix-One Team, and Dunlop Aerogel 3Hundred racquets?

Any suggestions welcome! Thanx all I appreciate all the feedback you have given so far.

fgs
04-11-2007, 04:24 PM
tensgrl16,
i start getting a better picture since with the exception of the pure storm i have hit with the other sticks and find your observations, from your point of view, consistent (for me, the nblade is not too heavy, but i can "feel" how it is too heavy for you - i hope you understand my point).
can you describe what it is you're missing on the ntour two? i happen to have a ntour two 105 (unmodded since it's my wifes racquet) and am quite aware of that racquet's potential. i assume you are playing the 95 version.

tensgrl16
04-11-2007, 04:41 PM
Hi FGS - Yes I have the ntour-two 95 head. of the sticks I have used it is the better of all of them. I think the biggest thing for me is that it doesn't have a lot of pop on the serve. Groundies, approaches & volleys are good...but I think for me the biggest thing is serve there just is not much there with this stick compared to others that I have used. It's just missing a little something so I am still looking for something that is going to work in all areas of my game. Thanx again for all your comments.

fgs
04-11-2007, 04:50 PM
tensgrl16,
for the serve to have more juice you would need a little bit more weight on that stick. i would suggest you try to put some 4-6g of lead at the butt, or just above the grip for easier removal and see how that works out.
what strings are you using and at what tension?

rhcolt07
04-11-2007, 04:51 PM
I just received my Head Liquidmetal Radical MP yesterday, and it doesn't feel like 11.2 oz to me. The little paper that comes stuck on the head tells me that it's 10.4 oz. It feels closer to 10.4 oz to me but that's what it felt like to me.

tensgrl16
04-11-2007, 05:01 PM
fgs - I usually use tecnifibre NRG2 17 g and string it at 60 - 64 lbs depending on conditions. I have been playing with the lead in different areas....but it still just seems to be missing a little something. I hit hard and fairly flat so if I string looser than 60 lbs I tend to hit the groundies a bit long. Thanx for the suggestions though....you are very helpful!

fgs
04-11-2007, 05:30 PM
tensgrl16,
might sound weird, but have you given the ntour two 105 a shot? i happen to know a girl playing it, top 250wta, and having a really fast serve. as i have already told you, i have one of those sticks around for my wife, and from time to time i get to play with it when my blades are for restringing. due to the very long mains on that one, almost 1" more than my 106 blades, it really plays a fast ball.
regarding strings, i looked it up and those are very similar to the nxt tour i'm playing. really very good choice. i string lower, but that's a matter of preference, so really nothing to suggest there.

adso1973
04-11-2007, 05:38 PM
I've seen you tried the FXP and Liquidmetal radicals tour.. and also the team one.. why don't you try the standard Radical.. less weight and more head balanced.

Other choice could be the head instinct, Wilson Ncode Npro, Prince O3 white.. everything depending in your game...

tensgrl16
04-11-2007, 06:05 PM
fgs - thanx for the suggestion of trying the 105...but anything over 100 head I have had trouble with! Just don't like the big heads so really looking to stay with the 95-98 heads. But thank you just the same....yes the nrg2 plays very similar to the nxt tour....I also use that as well. thanx for the suggestions though.

headfan91
04-11-2007, 06:15 PM
check out the m-fil 300 and aerogel 300 as stated before.

JohnMatrix
04-11-2007, 06:17 PM
try to demo a wilson nblade 98.

The Nblade fits your description well. It requires good volley technique though since the head is a little unstable. A couple strips of lead tape and it volleys well.

fgs
04-11-2007, 06:24 PM
john matrix,
she did demo the nblade 98 and found it to be heavy. it's not the static but the rather high swingweight that she was finding heavy. by adding lead to 3 and 9 o'clock to improve stability on volleys, the weight AND swingweight would just go up even more.

tensgrl16,
i haven't played the k95 team, but it might be worth a try too. but i expect it to be lower powered than the ntour two due to 18mains stringbed and lower stiffness, and with the rather high swingweight you might find it heavy too, similar to the nblade 98.

tensgrl16
04-11-2007, 06:36 PM
thanx fgs - k95 team is on my list to try! got the dunlop aerogel 3hundred, yonex rds 002 and yonex rqs 11 coming as well. always used wilson & head due to being able to get free sticks but they don't seem to be coming out with anything that is really doing it for me. But thank you for all the advise. Have you tried any of these by the way? I haven't had much experience with yonex....

Anton
04-11-2007, 06:43 PM
Hi FGS - Yes I have the ntour-two 95 head. of the sticks I have used it is the better of all of them. I think the biggest thing for me is that it doesn't have a lot of pop on the serve. Groundies, approaches & volleys are good...but I think for me the biggest thing is serve there just is not much there with this stick compared to others that I have used. It's just missing a little something so I am still looking for something that is going to work in all areas of my game. Thanx again for all your comments.

IMO it doesn't sound like you need to try other rackets, it sounds like you need to try a different serve ;)

Try flattening it out, try taking it at a higher point, try making your swing longer, try getting more of your body into it.

The easiest part of tennis is improving on the serve, probably the most elusive part is finding a "perfect" racket. It is possible that the very properties of the racket that you think are getting in the way of your serve contribute to what you think is good about the racket.

GL with the demos

fgs
04-11-2007, 06:55 PM
tensgrl16,
no, i have currently no possibilities to demo anything else than wilson, babolat and head. the distributors of dunlop, yonex, prince etc. don't supply demo racquets. on the other hand i'm more than happy with my blades and for quite some time i won't be in the market for anything.

anton got a point there - i'm sure you have good coaching and by your descriptions of the playing characteristics of the racquets i can tell that you know what you are talking about, but then consider that even high ranked pros do have something to improve on in their games. just go over that serve again.

tensgrl16
04-11-2007, 07:09 PM
thanx again fgs....yeah I'm going to try those racquets through TW since we don't have a yonex rep at the club....been working on the serve motion for the last year. pretty much have done what anton suggested. The stick is just slow to come around and I've been working with a coach to improve this. The thing we keep coming to is a lighter racquet. When I use the lighter racquets I can hit almost 100 mph on the serve. It's getting the racquet to come through with no "drag" per say. It's that throwing motion that "us" girls have trouble with! I've been working on those muscles as well to help...but still have trouble getting the racquet to come around to get that pop one can get out of the really light sticks. I just don't like the bulk of a lot of the lighter racquets though as well as the big heads that come with them. But thank you for all your suggestions....you have been very helpful!

Noveson
04-11-2007, 07:26 PM
The Nblade fits your description well. It requires good volley technique though since the head is a little unstable. A couple strips of lead tape and it volleys well.

She has already said the Nblade was too heavy. That's a no go.

Yonex seems the way to go:p Demoing from TW is cheap and fast.

Redflea
04-11-2007, 07:44 PM
Thanks all for the suggestions please keep them coming...maybe I should give you the run down of racquets I have gone through in the past year and a half.

currently using: Wilson ntour-two (o.k. but missing a little something)
just tried for 2 weeks: Head MicroGel Extreme (clunky (for lack of a better term)
have used: Head flexpoint racdical tour (not enough behind the ball)
Head Flexpoint FXP Radical team (not enough racquet)
Wilson npro open (o.k. but produces too much spin)
Wilson nblade (too heavy)
Head Liquidmetal radical tour model (good stick but by the time I get to the 3 match it's heavy!)
Wilson nSix-Two ncode (too bulky)
Babolat Pure Storm Team (o.k. but felt aweful on mishits)
Wilson n6 (too light)

O.k. so I'm very picky. I also have played around with lead tape in different areas on pretty much all the sticks....but still didn't get the results I was looking for. I like the heavier sticks...but after a set or two the sticks just get too heavy so thought I'd try going the other way and try some lighter player sticks.

Does anyone have any experience with the following racquets? Yonex RDS 002 (10.9 oz), Yonex RQS 11 (not sure i'll like the bulk of it but it seems to have some good reviews), Wilson K factor KSix-One Team, and Dunlop Aerogel 3Hundred racquets?

Any suggestions welcome! Thanx all I appreciate all the feedback you have given so far.

RQS 11: A friend has several, hit w/one the other night. Didn't feel as solid as I'd hoped...does provide good power without sacrificing control. Didn't hit with it long enough to get a really strong feel for it, but initial impression was that I was ready to give it back pretty quickly.

Aerogel 300: One of the most solid feeling light racquets I've hit with...has enough power to move the ball with good weight/pace but still retains excellent control. Very comfortable in spite of giving a stiffer feel than my M-Fils. I actually hit my 1HBH a bit better w/the AG3 than I do w/my current main stick, my M-Fil 300. Somewhat muted feel, but communicates what you're doing to the ball well. The only negative for me is that the balance feels different from the specs...doesn't come off as head light in use as it should based on specs.

I'd suggest you look at the M-Fil 300 as well. Really great all-court stick that plays like much more stick than it is at 10.9oz...really comes to life, IMHO, at lower string tensions where the power picks up, the control is still there, and the feel and touch are excellent.

Happy shopping. :)

TENNIS_99
04-11-2007, 07:59 PM
I. radical OS - buy it when still available. Although the strung weight is close to 11 oz, the swing weight is just a little over 300. Smooth and enough power.

theRadical
04-11-2007, 09:47 PM
I. radical OS - buy it when still available. Although the strung weight is close to 11 oz, the swing weight is just a little over 300. Smooth and enough power.

Still available?? Are they going to be discontinued soon?

Noveson
04-11-2007, 10:04 PM

No, they ARE discontinued. And getting harder and harder to find, for a good reason.

Alafter
04-11-2007, 10:09 PM
Fischer MSpeed magnetic light version
Wilson nFury

fuzz nation
04-11-2007, 10:21 PM
I'm a fan of heavier frames, but last year I knocked around with a Prince Hybrid Hornet and the thing definately got my attention. You may see a demo at a shop and save yourself the wait on a demo from TW, but anyway I think this one is also worth a look.

TENNIS_99
04-12-2007, 04:10 AM

Yes, they were discountinued in 05' I believe, but you still can find some new ones on ****.

DavaiMarat
04-12-2007, 12:33 PM
I'm a head user. Not always been the most user friendly racquets but if you want to go that route I would suggest a 'Instinct'. It's the closest thing from head you'll get that still get a fair amount of feel and control but you'll still have a fair bit of punch behind ball. I suggested that racquet to a few 4.5 women in my club now half the woman's A team is playing with the stick. I've played around with it, too much power for me since I play prestige (mid) but I found it comfortable at the net, even more so then my own racquets.

Well anyhow good luck and let me know how it goes.

xvu1983
04-12-2007, 09:02 PM
Maybe it's not the static weight you should concern with but the swing weight. I would recommend the Dunlop Hotmelt 200g for a flat hitter. It's too bad that TW doesnt sell them anymore. It has a low swing weight compare to the nBlade but its static weight is heavier. I gave my sister one of my HM200g and she loves it. She is by no mean a 4.5 player.