PDA

View Full Version : Babolat PD 110 to AeroPro or Pure Drive?

babolat_rocks
04-11-2007, 01:13 PM
Been using a Babolat PD 110 cortex for a few months now (previously using a POG OS). Love the lightness, balance, forgiveness, feel, power & spin of the racquet. :D My wife has the original 110, which I also like very much, but somehow the cortex has a more damp & solid feel (and it at least feel more comfortable). With a hybrid string setup with luxilon rough in the mains, this racquet can generate loads of topspin, with easy access to power. I was also surprised that quite a few advanced players like the 110. Of the oversize racquets out there, the Babolat 110 seems to get alot of love in capturing the spirit of its smaller brethren without giving up too much.

Still, I am thinking there is a point where the APD or PD would make more sense. :confused: I am a 3.5 now, but have the goal to progress to 4.0 or 4.5 over the next few years. I am thinking to switch to an AeroPro Drive or Pure Drive, for better control and possibly greater spin. It might also force me to be a better ball striker and give me better feedback on mishits. Maybe I can get even more spin? Anybody out there have experience with the 110 & either the APD or PD? What would you give up and what would you gain? Love to hear some feedback. :p

[K]aotic
04-11-2007, 01:17 PM
hmmm wait and get a k95 :D . the k95, however, requires solid technique and stroke mechanics to use it correctly. if you have the skill to wield this racquet, you will be rewarded greatly with feel, control, etc.

babolat_rocks
04-11-2007, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the recommendation. I have also heard good things about the K95, and will try it out. It would be interesting to contrast the K95 with the equivalents in the Babolat line. However, I like the feel of Babolats right now and am familiar with them; would really like to get some feedback on those.

ChipNCharge
04-11-2007, 01:26 PM
I suggest you just stick with your PD OS. If you like it and you play well with it, I don't think there's any point in switching to another racquet.

dennis1188
04-11-2007, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the recommendation. I have also heard good things about the K95, and will try it out. It would be interesting to contrast the K95 with the equivalents in the Babolat line. However, I like the feel of Babolats right now and am familiar with them; would really like to get some feedback on those.
I demoed and liked serving w/ the Pure Drive OS /cortex. I found the z-lite w/cortex and NCT tour better for me w/ the lighter weight and smaller grips I got much better racket head speed and great topspin. I sold both my original PD and APD after a few months (just not suitable ).

babolat_rocks
04-11-2007, 01:30 PM
I demoed and liked serving w/ the Pure Drive OS /cortex. I found the z-lite w/cortex and NCT tour better for me w/ the lighter weight and smaller grips I got much better racket head speed and great topspin. I sold both my original PD and APD after a few months (just not suitable ).

Why were PD and APD not suitable? Seems if you are semi-pro, you have a pretty high level game. I am particularly interested in what better players think of the PDOS vs. PD and APD.

dennis1188
04-11-2007, 01:53 PM
I hv long/medium grd strokes w/ heavy topspin. I play 3-4 w week approx. 3hrs each session,(the PD and APD just seemed heavy and too slow). IMO The PD os w/cortex was great on serves but slow on racket head speed for grd strokes. The z-lite w/ cortex was a much better (for me) great feel and very fast racket head speed w/ topspin. Heavy Topspin is my main goal when playing w/ Babolat rackets. The z-lite cortex works fine even when strung w/ 65-70 lbs tension kevlar hybrid strings (my favorite).

Ross K
04-11-2007, 02:24 PM
Errr...

Below the user name where it says 'Semi-pro' ^ refers not to afforementioned user name's level of tennis skills, but instead to the amount of posts that have been made on Talk Tennis...

As a new-comer unto these boards I'll simply impart the following vital information to you: repost your questions on or at least check out the 'this is the babolat alliance calling' thread. You'll find it in 'racquets' section... Oh. In case you're unaware, it's a highly respected, sensible forum for debating all things Babolat-related.

AndrewD
04-11-2007, 05:50 PM
babolat_rocks,

If you stick with an Oversize it won't hold you back from reaching the 4.0-4.5 level and switching to a smaller headsize won't help you get there any quicker. The only thing you need to worry about is using the racquet you play your best tennis with. The best way to test out a racquet is to hit with or play against someone of a slightly higher standard than yourself (if you're a 3.5 then hit with a 4.0 or 4.5 at best). That way you'll see how well you handle the racquet and if it gives you enough 'something' (power, control, spin, touch, etc) so you can be competitive. You might find you need the extra power and spin of the oversize or you might find that the added control of the 100sq is a better choice.

Personally, while I do enjoy oversize racquets and play quite well with them, I find that the PD (I use the PD+) gives me a large enough sweetspot, large enough hitting area and more than enough power while still providing good control. The PD OS would increase power and spin (larger hitting area = more spin), however, I lose a little bit of control.

When it comes to generating spin with the PD and the APD I find the APD is in a class of its own. The PD I find better for driving the ball whereas the APD makes it almost effortless to add topspin (I find slice very good with the PD). While I currently use the PD+ I am considering a switch to the APD, purely because of its spin potential. Of course, others will have a different experience, but that's my take on it.

babolat_rocks
04-13-2007, 11:53 PM
Some excellent points in AndrewD's post. I was out hitting for a few hours tonight, and many of my strongest forehands were going 1-2 feet long, even though i had quite alot of topspin. I had the intuition that at that power level, the PDOS was just too much of a trampoline to get enough topspin. I am now considering if the APD w/ cortex coming out in May might be a good choice. I have heard repeatedly how topspin friendly it is, while retaining the power and overall feel of the PD.

So, lets say you take a great player, ask them to hit with as much power & topspin as possible. Will the APD land the ball in with a larger margin for error? Maybe I am asking if the ratio of topspin to power is better on the APD.

Punisha
04-14-2007, 01:46 AM
juat string about 2 or 3 pounds tighter and that ball will be in

AndrewD
04-14-2007, 07:57 AM
I was out hitting for a few hours tonight, and many of my strongest forehands were going 1-2 feet long, even though i had quite alot of topspin. I had the intuition that at that power level, the PDOS was just too much of a trampoline to get enough topspin. I am now considering if the APD w/ cortex coming out in May might be a good choice. I have heard repeatedly how topspin friendly it is, while retaining the power and overall feel of the PD.

So, lets say you take a great player, ask them to hit with as much power & topspin as possible. Will the APD land the ball in with a larger margin for error? Maybe I am asking if the ratio of topspin to power is better on the APD.

In truth, technique chiefly determines how much topspin you get and how easily you produce it (string type, spacing and tension are also key but not much use if you don't have the technique down pat). So, the PDOS isn't really too powerful or too much of a trampoline to get enough topspin if you have the technique and control. Those aside, just increase the tension and - all things being equal- those hard forehands will start dropping in as you've reduced the power and -potentially- increased the spin (there is some debate as to whether you get more spin from tighter strings or not).

Forget about great players because, end of the day, they've got the skill and ability to make any racquet work, regardless of how hard they're hitting the ball. So, what they can do with any one racquet doesn't bear comparison to us - the club player under 5.0

All I will say about the APD is that a weakness of mine, since changing from left to right-handed (car accident a number of years back) is that I don't hit with enough topspin. The APD made generating that spin easier than any other racquet I've used in the last 15 years.

Roger_Federer.
04-14-2007, 08:34 AM
I suggest Aeropro because of its great amount of spin and manueverability