PDA

View Full Version : help...racket for sore shoulder and elbow

jcbailey111
04-11-2007, 03:08 PM
hey all need help finding a racket for my weary joints....im a 4.5 player played college NCAA level I division....but im 32 now and the rackets i could use back then i cant use now.....anyone got any suggestion been trying a couple....for the last year been playing with the head flexpoint prestige mid....good racket but some arm problems....im a all court player by the way

thanks

VGP
04-11-2007, 03:31 PM
Hey.

Thanks for the PS 85s BTW.....

Another thread after your other three or four that you've asked about comfortable rackets for power and control?

Plenty of good suggestions there.....

Maybe it's time to set your racket search aside for the moment and take a lesson for a technique evaluation. Maybe you've developed some hitches that are causing your pain.

Example of a minor fix:

I was watching "Bragging Rights" on TTC and they had two 5.5 NTRP rated female players. Both played Div I college ball. One of the players was a baseliner with a two handed backhand and was coached by John Newcombe. She had a decent serve, but he noticed that she brought her hips around just a bit too soon. It was breaking the flow of her serve and causing her to open up too soon......something slight, but it worked.

Just suggesting that an outside set of eyes may see something that might not be readily apparent......sounds like you've been struggling with your shoulder and elbow and it's robbing you of having the most fun out of your tennis.

jcbailey111
04-11-2007, 03:42 PM
yea and the crazy think is.....its really not when im playing its more after the play or later on when im not playing tennis.....

VGP
04-11-2007, 03:50 PM
That stinks.

Maybe you should also see a doctor....

You don't have a job working a jackhammer do you?

We're not that young anymore.....aches and pains come when they didn't used to and they don't go away as quickly as before.

fgs
04-11-2007, 03:50 PM
jcbailey111,
did you try out any of the racquets that have been suggested in your other threads so far? which ones and what was your impressions / observations?

haerdalis
04-11-2007, 04:00 PM
Is it the serve that hurts your shoulder? What hurts your elbow? Inside or outside? Golfers or tennis elbow?
Typically a heavy racquet will be worse for the shoulder but better for the tennis elbow. General advice, a little lighter and more flexible and bigger headsize should help. Then try to find the right balance by adding some well placed lead perhaps. Changing from pin point serve to platform serve is usually good for the shoulder if the problem is serve related.

moveyourfeet
04-11-2007, 04:10 PM
After teaching, coaching and playing with wilson rackets my elbow and shoulder were so tender i got a cortisone shot just to stay with tennis. After that i switched to the Volkl VI and I have gone nearly ten years without any elbow or shoulder trouble. I use sweet perfection and a lower tension than i use to also.

mileslong
04-11-2007, 05:52 PM
im a 4.5 player played college NCAA level I division....but im 32 now and the rackets i could use back then i cant use now
i would think that you should quit tennis and concentrate on your studies now SO YOU CAN FINALLY GRADUATE! i loved college too but at some point you just have to move on, im sure your parents agree with me...

jcbailey111
04-11-2007, 06:06 PM
i would think that you should quit tennis and concentrate on your studies now SO YOU CAN FINALLY GRADUATE! i loved college too but at some point you just have to move on, im sure your parents agree with me...

Im a physician now....i graduated some time ago...ad believe me my parents are very pleased.....just trying to get back into tennis

bad_call
04-11-2007, 07:09 PM
the volkl T10V Mid did it for me. it might work for u. i stopped playing for a good many years and started back then WHAM!! got TE. since playing with the volkl, i haven't had any issues aggravated from playing. i still have a bit of TE which flares up when i work with hand or power tools. but ice packs take care of that. btw - the t10v serves easily too.

good luck.

Tennis16
04-11-2007, 07:10 PM
Try the Fischer Magnetic Tour. Its a very arm friendly racquet with control.

BounceHitBounceHit
04-11-2007, 07:21 PM
hey all need help finding a racket for my weary joints....im a 4.5 player played college NCAA level I division....but im 32 now and the rackets i could use back then i cant use now.....anyone got any suggestion been trying a couple....for the last year been playing with the head flexpoint prestige mid....good racket but some arm problems....im a all court player by the way

thanks

Have you tried the Volkl Tour 10 Gen 2 or DNX 10 mid?

Also, what string/tension are you using? Full gut set ups or gut mains and soft(er) synthetic crosses also seem to help TE, as does lowering tension, even just a wee bit.

Best, CC

witit
04-11-2007, 08:46 PM
I really recommend volkl. I started off with the quantum tour 10 and it helped me improve my stroke so much and I've never had any pain on elbow. My shoulder sores a bit but I think mainly because of my serve which the form is not perfect yet.

Any volkl 9 or 10 series would do I think. I'm using the tour 10 gen 1 now and it's very very easy on arm. But it's pretty hard to find right now. The DNX 10 mid to me it's a bit stiffer but still much better than any wilson, head or prince that I've tried. Oh... and the "volkl feel" is so addictive. :D

mileslong
04-12-2007, 12:35 AM
Im a physician now....i graduated some time ago...ad believe me my parents are very pleased.....just trying to get back into tennis
it was called sarcasm...

backcourt
04-12-2007, 05:44 AM
In addition to Volkl, I would also recomend you demo some Yonex's. The rdx series, which seems a bit more flexible than the rds. In my experience for your shoulder you want to go lighter than a prestige, but still have flex under 65 or so. Cat 8 VE leaded up to 11.6, keeping it headlight works for me.