PDA

View Full Version : What's the most durable high end multi?

Aonex
03-12-2004, 08:32 PM
Sorry if this topic has already been covered before, but I normally use natural gut and wanted to try out some of the high end multis since the gut jobs have been getting expensive. So far I'm curious to try out Babolat X-Cel, Tecnifibre NRG2, and Gamma Live Wire XP. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

bcaz
03-12-2004, 10:51 PM
LaserFibre Supernatural Pro Stock and (even more so) LaserFibre XRC Phenom. They both are high-end, high-quality, great-playing strings that hold tension well. The XRC Phenom is probably more durable, but so far I've cut LF out before it broke. The Pro Stock is closer to nat gut than any other multi/synthetic I've tried, by a wide margin.

BC

Aonex
03-12-2004, 11:11 PM
Sounds like awesome stuff. I'll definitely give it a try then. How does durability compare to natural gut? Thanks.

bcaz
03-13-2004, 02:16 PM
Aonex:

I don't hav eenough experience with them to really know. So far, I've used one set each of the Pro Stock (17) and XRC Phenom (17). I have another set of each (16 and 18, respectively), but I'm not planning on using them yet.

I've been using gut and gut hybrids recently, and right now I'm playing with Bow 16L mains and Gosen OG Sheep Super Micro 17 crosses. It's playing and holding up very well.

Relative durability will depend on several factors, such as gauge, tension, kinks and moisture. I ruined a beautiful set of BDE Performance 16 in the rain -- had to cut it out. I kinked some Pacific Classic 17 a little bit and cut it out just before I thought it was about to break.

My sense is, if you string gut kink-free, keep it dry, wax it or otherwise protect it, maybe use string savers, it will last and play well for a long time. To me, the Pro Stock felt and played more like gut, but the XRC Phenom played very well, was durable, and was very easy to string.

BC

Koz
03-18-2004, 01:22 PM
I'd imagine the X-cell in the 15 gauge (15L?) would be pretty durable for a multi