PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Mark Cox

Moose Malloy
04-11-2007, 03:19 PM
I've noticed his name in quite a few draws in the 70s. Not much on him on the atp site other than he was left-handed.

He is an important part of history, was the first amateur to defeat a pro(Pancho Gonzales) when tennis went open in '68 at Bournemouth.

other notable wins:

upset Laver at the 1971 Australian Open, Rosewall at the 1972 US Open, & Tom Okker at the 1969 US Open.

won Stockholm in '76, beating Connors & Orantes back to back.

how did he play? were there any sort of expectations in Great Britain?

urban
04-11-2007, 11:39 PM
Cox was a stocky built lefthander with curly blond hair (i think a Cambridge student). Looked like a boxer. He was a solid top 20-30 player from 68 to say 73. Had a good lefthanded serve and could be dangerous on faster courts.I think he had some good results even in the late 70s, against Borg and Connors.There were some lefthanders with even better serves (and higher ranking) around in those days, including fellow Brit Roger Taylor and Nicola Pilic.

Stuart S
09-10-2011, 03:33 AM
Actually if you ask me his best days were in the commentary box! He had a reasonable playing career, but as a commentator he was excellent.

He usually played second fiddle for the BBC in the 1980s to the likes of Dan Maskell and John Barrett, but was a superb commentator in his own right.

ahuimanu
09-10-2011, 09:40 AM
I've noticed his name in quite a few draws in the 70s. Not much on him on the atp site other than he was left-handed.

He is an important part of history, was the first amateur to defeat a pro(Pancho Gonzales) when tennis went open in '68 at Bournemouth.

other notable wins:

upset Laver at the 1971 Australian Open, Rosewall at the 1972 US Open, & Tom Okker at the 1969 US Open.

I saw Mark Cox back in the mid-70's playing team tennis. He was a great ball striker, impressive doubles player and physically very well put together. Was courtside watching him workout with Vitas Gerulaitis and remembered how strong he was in the legs (lefty I believe, hit the ball fairly flat, with a big serve).

He appeared to be a better athlete than tennis player (built like a rugby player) with a volatile temper which made his matches interesting to watch.

Thanks for bring up Mark Cox, another great unsung player from the past...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Cox_(tennis)

Bjorn99
09-11-2011, 03:49 AM
Built like a prize bull. Slice only backhand held him back.

Limpinhitter
09-11-2011, 07:13 AM

other notable wins:

To my recollection, Cox was England's best player in the early to mid 70's. He had a big lefty serve and a big heavy topspin forehand. He was a pretty successful fixture on the WCT tour. He was most memorable to me for his extremely curly, almost kinky, toehead blonde hair.

kiki
01-07-2012, 02:54 PM

other notable wins:

Good lefty serve, nice and effective sliced BH, very good attacking FH ( similar to Laver in execution, both were lefties) and, IMO, one of the best volleys on the tour.He had the talent but not the will or physichal assests, but was a great player and a true gentleman.IMO, clearly the best britton of the 70´s, even if Taylor,LLoyd and Mottram could be more popular.

kiki
01-07-2012, 02:57 PM
Cox was a stocky built lefthander with curly blond hair (i think a Cambridge student). Looked like a boxer. He was a solid top 20-30 player from 68 to say 73. Had a good lefthanded serve and could be dangerous on faster courts.I think he had some good results even in the late 70s, against Borg and Connors.There were some lefthanders with even better serves (and higher ranking) around in those days, including fellow Brit Roger Taylor and Nicola Pilic.

Niky Pilicˇˇˇ many know him as Becker´s long time coach but he was a Wimbledon SF and a RG runner up, losing to all time greats Newcombe and Nastase.Great lefty serve, good topsin fh, very solid volley and effective but not too strong sliced bh...a bit the same pattern of Mark Cox.He had a terrific temper and was pretty explosive, yet, in his day, was extremely dangerous.He and Drysdale made up a great doubles team.a WCT stalwart.

treblings
01-12-2012, 11:53 AM
Mark Cox played in his age group at the ITF Senior World Championships in Turkey last October. He is ranked No.10 in the World in his age group (65+)
and lost in the R16.

kiki
01-12-2012, 04:46 PM
I think Cox best tennis was played between 1973 and 1976; he made the WCT finals in 1975 (can´t remember whom did he lose, I think it was Ashe)

Rabbit
01-12-2012, 07:18 PM
I think it was Mark Cox who announced his retirement just prior to Wimbledon. In his last match at Wimbledon, he drank beer during the change overs. Oh...I long for the day. :)

EDIT: My bad, I had a remembrance the English player who did this was Roger Taylor.

borg number one
01-12-2012, 08:39 PM
See this photo, it mentions that Mark Cox became the first amateur to beat a pro in Open Tennis..Cox d. Gonzalez..

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/4/1/7/9/2/3/webimg/360922047_tp.jpg

http://www.tennisarchives.com/beeldbank/1297865425markcox.jpg

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/3294335.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=45B0EB3381F7834D15E05EB3FBF9CCDF95E115338A36BC8F CA52222F25EC092C

http://www.mullocksauctions.co.uk/wmsimages/SM-01Dec2011B/142.jpg

urban
01-12-2012, 09:13 PM
In the Photoline, as far i can recognize them: Laver, Newcombe, Cox, Truman, Mortimer, Santana, x (Ayala?), Lall, Mills, Bungert. Yes, Cox became famous, when he beat old pro Gonzalez in five at Bournemouth in spring 1968. He went on to beat new pro Emerson, and lost to Laver in the semi.