PDA

View Full Version : Is synthetic gut better then poly in a natural gut hybrid ?

sorkang724
03-12-2004, 08:59 PM
hi i've notice that alot of people on this board prefer using a synthetic gut rather than a polyester in a natural gut hybrid...how do you guys set up and what kind of string do you guys use ?..which one one mains and which one on cross ?

topspin
03-13-2004, 03:17 AM
I use bde perf mains with gosen jc crosses. The jc crosses is a good choice if you want a slightly crisper feel and so far it has never broken before the nat gut mains

HeavyBall
03-13-2004, 05:36 AM
Its not about better, its about different. If you want a softer stringbed, use a synthetic cross. If you want a firmer stringbed with slightly more control, use a poly.

Steve Huff
03-13-2004, 05:03 PM
Personally, I use a synthetic in the crosses, natural in the mains. I drop the tension in the crosses 3# to help compensate for the fact that the string is less elastic than the natural gut, and that the cross strings are shorter than the mains. But, some people believe that you lose enough tension to friction while doing the crosses, that they should actually be strung tighter than the mains. I guess you'll have to try it both ways to see.