PDA

View Full Version : Quick doubles question

zesty-man
09-14-2004, 01:28 AM
hey, im left handed, and playing some JV tennis, doubles. anyways, today our match got rained out, and we were tied 4-4 first set. however, i still havent figured on an effective way of handling this guy's serve. basically...... this guy's serve has tons of righty spin, bad for a lefty because it either cuts into my body or goes away from my BH. he serves and comes in and volleys, even on some weak 2nd serves. i was having a hard time reading his serve correctly, so i tried slicing the ball over their heads, which didnt work all too well. also, because its a slicing serve, i have to create some pace on my own, but im afraid of really "unloading" on it, in case it takes a last second odd spin.

any advice is appreciated. should i forehand slice it back to him as he comes to volley? i dont wanna put it too high, in fear of my parnter getting pegged, but at the same time, if it drops, thats good/ im not too worried about my BH, because i can just rip it down the middle, my backhand is more consistant and harder than my forehand for some odd reason...

thanks!

aahala
09-14-2004, 07:44 AM
I've sometimes experienced the same thing, as I am left handed.

Balls with considerable side spin are more difficult to slice back, you need to hit these balls more cleanly and more back thru the original path.

It's better to try to slice your backhand(if you can). The flight path of a lefty's slice forehand will resemble a righty's backhand slice to the retuner, so he will be used to it. A lefty's backhand slice goes the other way and therefore will likely to be more difficult for the returner.

This assumes you really want to try to slice a slice--that may not be the right approach for you.

Rickson
09-14-2004, 07:51 AM
Try a backhand up the line if you can. This is a risky shot as it's low percentage, but it's a good way to avoid being volleyed by both opposing players, unless the net guy happens to play that deep into the ad side, which is stupid. If the net guy leaves you that big a hole, hit a good angle cross court because I assume the server comes looking to volley you from the middle and you'd pass him perfectly on his forehand side. If the ball is just too difficult to control and you have to send it back from its original angle, play 2 back as you can both react to a volley much better than 1 up, 1 back. Good luck.

Real McCoy
09-14-2004, 06:46 PM
You could try taking the ball earlier - before it takes "a last second odd spin" or you could take it later giving yourself time to adjust to the spin. Either way, its important that you aren't caught flat footed.

Smashlob
09-14-2004, 07:10 PM
At the JV level, volleys in general are not something to be afraid of. Hit your ball crosscourt, make your opponent hit the volley. If he does it once that's good, make him play. You are over-analyzing the situation. However, mix your crosscourt return up with a down the line shot every once in a while. Keep them on their toes and you should be fine.

zesty-man
09-14-2004, 08:47 PM
thanks for all the help guys. maybe ill try an inside out backhand, hitting it cross court to the guy coming in. from what i remember, the guy thats at the net always comes in as soon as his partner serves, which really limits my options of gonig down the line. his volleys are consistant and his placement is alirte, but i do agree that i am probably over analyzing. thanks for the help again!