PDA

View Full Version : Dunlop Aerogel: 200 vs. 300

muggy
04-12-2007, 02:01 PM
Hi, I'm about to get a free Dunlop racquet (don't ask how), and I can choose from the new Aerogel line.

I'm considering either the 200 or the 300, I've never tried a Dunlop racquet before, and I've been using racquets along the weight of the 300 previously. I'm contemplating the benefits of the slightly heavier 200 and the control you get (I have a one handed bh) over the spin and power of the 300 and its open string pattern (I'm not sure if I can get the 16 x19 200 yet).

I hit with moderate topspin, my play is closest to an all-courter (as far as I can tell). I have no problem moving heavier racquets, I've played with heavier player's frames and liked the feel. I'm used to having a larger sweetspot, and I was wondering if getting the 200 will help me learn to hit cleaner or will it just destroy my willingness to try more kinds of shots.

Any advice on which one to get?

TennisandMusic
04-12-2007, 02:09 PM
I've tried both and liked the 200 far more. Heavier, felt more solid, more power and control for me and it looked better. ;)

That's just me though. Some people will obviously prefer the 300 so I would try them out if you can. I just thought the 200 was a far superior stick in just about every way.

Hewitt Aussie
04-12-2007, 03:05 PM
The aerogel 300 is a great racquet, and it provides me with enough control for my shots and power also. It is a beast at the net, and the serves are great, it really is a great stick. You should demo both. I have not tried the AG200 yet.

Roger_Federer.
04-12-2007, 03:42 PM
200, is a ton stabler, and has more power, I suggest you demo the 200

JWin
04-12-2007, 04:14 PM
I tried both, liked the paint job on the 200 better, both look good.

The 200 lacked feedback for me and the 300 had great pop from the ground, I liked it better overall despite trying both twice, but you have to try each since I know people who agreed with me on the 200, but others think it is the better of the two.

Simon Brown
04-12-2007, 04:17 PM
Does anyone with a two-handed backhand use these racquets? If so, which one? They look good but all the pros that use them seem to have single-handed backhands.

dave333
04-12-2007, 04:41 PM
I use 2bh with the m-fil 300. I recently tried my friends aerogel 300 and compared to my m-fil, its more stable but feels lighter due to the lower swingweight, and it makes volleying a much easier game.

I found the m-fil better for just bashing at the baseline though as it had more power.

LarougeNY
04-12-2007, 04:48 PM
Hi, I'm about to get a free Dunlop racquet (don't ask how), and I can choose from the new Aerogel line.

I'm considering either the 200 or the 300, I've never tried a Dunlop racquet before, and I've been using racquets along the weight of the 300 previously. I'm contemplating the benefits of the slightly heavier 200 and the control you get (I have a one handed bh) over the spin and power of the 300 and its open string pattern (I'm not sure if I can get the 16 x19 200 yet).

I hit with moderate topspin, my play is closest to an all-courter (as far as I can tell). I have no problem moving heavier racquets, I've played with heavier player's frames and liked the feel. I'm used to having a larger sweetspot, and I was wondering if getting the 200 will help me learn to hit cleaner or will it just destroy my willingness to try more kinds of shots.

Any advice on which one to get?

One thing I have to disagree with, the 200 isn't slightly heavier, its over an ounce heavier. The weight does make a difference, for instance, with a heavier racket you may not get as much spin as with a lighter racket because its harder to brush up through the ball.

Other than that, I'd recommend trying both of them. The 200 (I've never hit with it) is targeted towards the prestige users, very similar to that series. Very controlled, at the 12 ounce mark, 18x20 string pattern, about 8pts headlight. If you have strength, and need control, go for it.

The 300 (my racket) is very nice if you're not quite strong enough to weild around a 200 and win matches with it. Theres A LOT of spin to be had with this racket, plenty of CONTROLLABLE power, generous sweetspot that sits higher up on the racket, and a comfy soft feeling. Control is excellent with this racket too, its definitly inherently powerful, but to a controlled level.

I say, try them. If in doubt though, go for the 300 (if its too light, just lead it up)

PS. My backhand (two hander) has improved ridiculously with this racket. It works like a charm

muggy
04-12-2007, 04:50 PM
200, is a ton stabler, and has more power, I suggest you demo the 200

I was scared the 200 wouldn't have ENOUGH power compared to the 300, as the TW testers make it out to be more of a control racquet. I swing as fast and furious as I can, but more so on the forehand side. My 1hBH I don't get anywhere near the racquet speed.

So do a lot of people feel the 200 has more power? I wouldn't expect that from a smaller head size.

LarougeNY
04-12-2007, 04:55 PM
So do a lot of people feel the 200 has more power? I wouldn't expect that from a smaller head size.

I think maybe the guy that posted that might have mistyped. I never played with the racket, but its definitely gonna have less power than the 300. Maybe a lot less, since its string pattern is 18x20. But that won't be too much of an issue if your fit to play with a racket of that caliber.

Roger_Federer.
04-12-2007, 05:01 PM
Well, granted it might have a smaller head size, it generates a good amount of speed

muggy
04-12-2007, 05:06 PM
Well, TennisAndMusic also wrote the 200 had more power, that's why I was asking that.

I was thinking slightly heavier because racquets I've been using have been in that 11-11.5 ounce range, so it's not a huge jump for me to go to the 11.9 ounce 200. It's true, the 300 at an ounce less would produce much faster swings, so I'm weighing these things out.

I think that getting the 300 wouldn't change my game very much, and the 200 possibly could. I guess I'm just waiting for someone to convince me that the 200 will suit my preferences, I'm mostly concerned about the power and spin potential of this racquet, as I don't see weight really being an issue.

I'm trying to borrow a friend's 200 to try, I don't know anyone with a 300 so I'd have to shell out a few bucks to get a chance to demo.

LarougeNY
04-12-2007, 05:57 PM
Good luck
but remember, TW's specs are the average of the rackets they tested, you very well may get a 200 thats upto 12.3 ounces b/c of the factory's margin of error.

Also, its always better to get the lighter one since you can led it up, but you cant make the heavier one lighter.
Btw, whats your current racket?
Good luck with the demos, and be sure to post up your final decision.

muggy
04-12-2007, 06:20 PM
Currently I'm using an o3 white (I also got this for free), although I think I should've gotten the o3 tour at the time. In the last year I was also using an AeroPro Drive.

My backhand has been sporadic with these two frames, that's why I was thinking getting a heavier racket might be better.

The reason I don't think weight would be an issue is because I've tried prostaff's, ncode 6.1 95, prestige's, and I had no problem using these sticks, I liked the plough through feel I got with these.

I'm still considering both sticks, I guess I'll know more when I try out the 200.

How's serving with these racquets? My flat serve isn't half bad, and my kick serve needs a lil work to be more effective.

Milano
04-12-2007, 06:26 PM
Definetely try both out. I have the Mfil 300 and its great, though now I am trying to look for a little more weight (also have a 1hbh and it seems a little flimsy and I have a sore wrist from before getting the racquet so hoping the extra weight will help out.)

If your in doubt, demo both from tw, only 10 bucks for both.

GRANITECHIEF
04-13-2007, 10:35 AM
Definetely try both out. I have the Mfil 300 and its great, though now I am trying to look for a little more weight (also have a 1hbh and it seems a little flimsy and I have a sore wrist from before getting the racquet so hoping the extra weight will help out.)

If your in doubt, demo both from tw, only 10 bucks for both.

Actually, it would be pretty much free.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/DunlopRacquets.html

sabi
04-13-2007, 05:48 PM
Muggy,

Below is something I wrote about the Aerogel when I first demoed it last fall. Although not emphasized, I did find this racquet to be rather heavy on the 1hbh side. The racquet has a somewhat head heavy or throat heavy feel to it, which caused fatigue after extended hitting. I did not play any matches to really test the weight.

As others have said, demo both the 200 and 300. But when demoing consider that the 300 is a good platform racquet for modifying. I play with a modified KTeam racquet and would liken its feel very much to that of the Aerogel 200 (one of the best feeling racquets I have hit with, incredibly stable). My KTeam has a weight that allows me more spin and more maneuverability, with very similar stability to that of the 200. The 300 might be able to do that for you, modified with additional weight. I doubt a modified 300 will feel as good as the KTeam :), but it might.

As a further addendum to below, I have hit limited amounts with the 300. It's power level is hard to compare with that of the 200. It's a much lighter feeling racquet so it has less mass in the head. Having written that, its maneuverability should give you more power at times, e.g., when you don't have enough time to fully set up. In general the 200 is nicely powered racquet. Low enough that the ball stays in, heavy enough that you don't get pushed around (two traits that are very player subjective mind you). The 200 and 300 have about the same USRSA power level, for whatever that's worth.

XXXXXXXXXX
The Aerogel 200 is a very stable racquet. Able to redirect balls with relative ease. Very good depth control. I felt like I had complete control over whether the ball was going to land within a foot of the baseline or at the service line. For a low powered racquet, the Aerogel 200 has very good spin from my perspective (a player who grew up learning stroke mechanics in the 80s pre full-western grips). The weighting took me some getting used to on my one handed backhand side, but on the forehand side I was able to consistent keep the balls down with heavy spin, including spin off of hard hit shots, where usually I don't have the time to consistently whip through the strike zone. The racquet's static weight feels nice as well, not too head light. You feel the weight of the head, unlike some racquets, but at the same time the racquet swings very well through the strike zone.

The racquet is low powered, so I'm guessing the 200 version, like the 200G,will appeal most to relatively hard hitters with seasoned strokes and who want feel and depth and angular control.

I liken the racquet to a less lively, much more arm friendly, and probably bigger sweet spot, Slazenger X1. What I did not test is whether there is still enough power in the Aerogel to get me out of those points where your opponent has you running back and forth. That's certainly one area where extra power reserve is nice. The good thing about the Aerogel 200 though is that it does well to return the power directed at it. To me, the racquet got better with pace.

In any event, if the 300, 400, and 400 tours are anything like the 200 in feel, Dunlop will be selling a lot of all of these racquets.

I was thoroughly impressed with my limited time with the Aerogel 200.

sw00sh
04-14-2007, 01:07 AM
What would you guys said if you got the AG200 with 16x19 and weighted strung at 11.3oz? Would it change your mind to go towards 200 than the 300?

And also AG100 at 11.4oz with 16x19 pattern...would you prefer this?

I m just opening up the discussion assuming that the above are available in US to you guys. I think lots of players wouldn't mind the AG200.

Thanks.

kreative
04-14-2007, 09:18 AM
300 is more manueverable and is a nice platform for customization.

Milano
04-14-2007, 09:20 AM
What would you guys said if you got the AG200 with 16x19 and weighted strung at 11.3oz? Would it change your mind to go towards 200 than the 300?

And also AG100 at 11.4oz with 16x19 pattern...would you prefer this?

I m just opening up the discussion assuming that the above are available in US to you guys. I think lots of players wouldn't mind the AG200.

Thanks.

I think they already have a good 200 based on the specs. If they did offer a 16/19 in the US it would be better, but there is no need to lower the weight. If someone actually wanted an 11.3 oz 200, they might as well customize an AG 300 with some lead.

LarougeNY
04-14-2007, 09:25 AM
I'd be interested in the 100 if it were in the US, its lighter than a lot of the n61s and its only gonna be about 12 ounces (maybe less) strung. Too bad it a euro-only model.:sad:

BORG
04-16-2007, 08:22 AM
Hello,

There is an interesting alternative.

Here in Sweden there is a new version of Aerogel 300.
The string pattern is 16 x 18 and the weight is 320 gr.

I havenīt had the possibility to playtest it but it sure locks interesting.

Have someone else int this forum tried it?

/Borg forever

muggy
05-07-2007, 08:19 AM
So I have been using the Dunlop AG200 and hit a few times with a Dunlop AG500 tour, as I received both recently.

I love the AG200. The control is really great, I found myself to have no problems with the weight, and the power was plentiful and easy to control. I thought what someone else said on this board really rang true in my time with the racquet, when there is more pace this racquet really shines through. I was able to swing out a lot, and this really fit my style. I really liked this racquet for 1HBH, my friend that hits with 2HBH preferred the AG500 tour. He currently uses a prostaff 6.1 95, if that matters. The thing that surprised me the most about the AG200 was my serves and overheads, I actually got a lot more power on these and much better accuracy than using lighter racquets. Like I've said in previous posts, I'm not huge but I'm a pretty strong guy, and compared to the "tweener" type racquets I've been using (11-11.5oz range), the AG200 felt to be just the right weight for upping the ante without compromising maneuverability.

I didn't have as much spin as I was used to from the open string patterns and poly setups I'm used to, I was using the factory m-fil string on the racquets. I found I could get spin to hit short angle shots, but it took me a little more upwards swing to hit kicking top spin shots.

The AG500 tour, which surprised me a lot, had crazy spin and pretty good stability. A couple people I played with this week really liked the racquet, it's a real solid frame, a little stiff.

I never got a chance to hit with AG300, but since I already got sent these two racquets, I'll probably be sticking with the 200 for now. I can say that I'm really happy with it so far, I've hitting a lot of lines with it this week. I'll post a full review in the Aerogel 200 review thread.

ksm
05-08-2007, 01:14 AM
Hello,

There is an interesting alternative.

Here in Sweden there is a new version of Aerogel 300.
The string pattern is 16 x 18 and the weight is 320 gr.

I havenīt had the possibility to playtest it but it sure locks interesting.

Have someone else int this forum tried it?

/Borg forever

I started a new thread asking the same question as yours but nobody posted. Sad! I don't think anybody has tried this racquet out here.

ksm