PDA

View Full Version : babolat pure storm vs. yonex rds 002

jpsychz
04-12-2007, 02:20 PM
so as not to get anything mixed up, i'm referring to the Tour version of rds 002(forgot to put it on the title) ...
i wanted to get a new racquet before summer comes. i've narrowed my choices down to these two. i've just got a couple questions before trying them out. which of these 2 has better overall quality? plus, on the aesthetic side, which do you guys think has the better PJ? i've also read on one of the customer feedbacks on the Yonex rds 002 Tour that the sound it produces when hitting the ball is kinda weird... is this true or is it just off center hits that produces the sound?

PED
04-12-2007, 07:08 PM
I love the storm. It's taken a while to get used to. i came from an aero and a head fxp radical. On returning heavy shots, there is some flex in the hoop but some lead helps out. I particularly like serving with the storm, it's a bit easier to serve flat than with the aero. Demo them both. The storm is very open to customization. If you do a search on the boards here, you will see a lot of different ways to go.

dylo
04-12-2007, 09:46 PM
havent played with either yet (rds 002 soon!) but IMO i like the rds pj better. \

SoBad
04-12-2007, 09:48 PM
storm is just the best racquet out there at present, you must have it

tichinko
04-13-2007, 07:09 AM
RDS 002 TOUR is quite different from Storm. It is heavier with more flex but you maybe already know this. This is not definite advantage performance wise if you are going to fight with young guns with PDs or APDs. It is demanding specific style of playing with early preparation and good follow-ups (think Murray, Djokovic). I came to it from RDS 003 leaded to 12 oz and it is quite a change for me (my Y002T weighs 12.5 oz). I am swimming a mile each morning and this racquet tells me I have to be better physically.
The PJ on my RDS 002T is superior to me comparing it to a buddy's Storm but this is in my eyes. The sound depends a lot on the string. I got the sound you refer to with full Topspin Cyberflash string job at high tension but when I strung it with full Iso-speed Control it makes big drum-like POK.
You might be better getting Yonex RDS 002 and adding a bit of a lead if you want something close to Storm. I plan this for playing doubles or a backup plan if I fail to adjust to Y002T.

jpsychz
04-13-2007, 10:48 AM
i guess i'll just have to demo both to see for sure which suits me better... although just looking at the specs makes me think that 002 tour is a bit more stable. then again it's probably more demanding to use too with its extra oz. in the long run. which would you guys prefer to buy if it was in stock form... storm or 002tour?

tichinko
04-13-2007, 12:29 PM
jpsychz, if I had healthier elbows I would not go above 12 oz. Storm with 10-16 g lead in the handle is near perfect racquet (for me). Ufortunately with the age I found I can not afford to have stress on my joints and thus the weight of my racquets creeped to the current level. I think Storm is in the healthy zone and will not demage your arms unless you string it with kevlar. I wish I had not played with all the crap that went through my hands over the last 20 years.

louis netman
04-13-2007, 01:24 PM
RDS 002 TOUR is quite different from Storm. It is heavier with more flex but you maybe already know this. This is not definite advantage performance wise if you are going to fight with young guns with PDs or APDs. It is demanding specific style of playing with early preparation and good follow-ups (think Murray, Djokovic). I am swimming a mile each morning and this racquet tells me I have to be better physically.
The PJ on my RDS 002T is superior to me comparing it to a buddy's Storm but this is in my eyes. The sound depends a lot on the string. I got the sound you refer to with full Topspin Cyberflash string job at high tension but when I strung it with full Iso-speed Control it makes big drum-like POK.
You might be better getting Yonex RDS 002 and adding a bit of a lead if you want something close to Storm. I plan this for playing doubles or a backup plan if I fail to adjust to Y002T.

Good post, tichinko...One more point: I thought feel was better on the Orange frame...

jpsychz
04-15-2007, 09:40 AM
thanks guys. really appreciate your thoughts on this topic here. by the way, would you guys trust people on **** when buying new or used racquets to get them at a lower price? or is the risk of getting a fake racquet with a custom pj pretty high? any suggestion would be appreciated. if not then i'd probably buy the racquet at full price on TW or just settle for a cheaper(but good) racquet like LM Radical. i kinda liked it... just thought maybe i'd take the pure storm or rds002t for a spin cuz they might be a whole lot better.