PDA

View Full Version : How Many Racquets Do You Need.

Pages : [1] 2 3

J011yroger
04-12-2007, 07:12 PM
Ok, I have been pondering starting this thread for a while. And here is my opinion.

The J011yroger Guide to how many racquets you need.

When reading, please bear in mind that this is MY OPINION, read with an open mind, agree or disagree, but please keep it respectful.

Also, I am talking about number of IDENTICAL racquets. Different models are for experimentation and fooling around and having fun only.

It should go without saying that this assumes that you can afford the racquets, feeding your children, and paying rent take priority over what some 25 year old punk on the tennis board says.

Firstly, there are several factors that go into this choice, and I will list them here.

1. How serious are you about tennis?

Do you care about equipment? Do you work to become a better player? Do just go out and fool around and hit and giggle with your friends?

If you answered that you are in the least amount serious about tennis, then you should have at least two racquets. If you consider yourself a tennis player, of any level, even if you play once a month, even if you have never broken a string in your life, you should have two racquets. It is foolish to ever not have a backup. If you are willing to shrug and go home if you break a racquet/string, and leave your hitting partner standing there, then hey, have fun with your one racquet.

2. How important is winning to you?

Are you competitive? Do you play in a league? Are you a tournament playing junior, playing to win a D1 Scholarship? Do you just hit around with the ladies on Sunday afternoon.

Depending on how important winning is to you, you will figure out how many racquets you want above and beyond what the maximum you would use in a worst case scenario. If you are a casual player, this number may be zero, if you are a tournament player, playing for your future, it may be four or more.

3. How long do strings last you.

How many hours/matches do you get out of a string job?

Bames Jlake who crushes the ball on the pro tour needs more racquets than Professer "limp arms" Kuerten who has never broken a string in his miserable existance.

4. How much do you play?

How many hours/week do you play?

Combine this with item 3 to see how many racquets you go through in a week, or how many weeks a racquet lasts you.

5. What is your access to stringing?

How often do you visit the stringer? What is the turnaround time? Do you string for yourself? Can you do without while your racquets are being strung?

Figure out how many racquets you will be down/dropping off to be strung, and if it is a big deal not to be able to play in the down time.

6. How sensitive are you to string tension loss/aging.

Do you notice when strings get some wear on them? Do you think they play better when new? Do you play them till the break and not really notice much of a difference?

If you are sensitive, and you care a lot about winning (Item #2) you are going to want to play your matches with your racquets in the ideal zone, then use them up the rest of the way in practice or restring if money is not an issue, or you are that serious (Item #1). This is especially an issue if you use polyester strings.

7. Do you change string tensions depending on weather, surface, opponent?

If you do, then there will be that many more racquets that you will need, especially if your access to stringing is limited, and you cannot restring for each event.

8. Are you a tournament player, a league player, or a social player?

Tournament players generally need more racquets to be prepared because they have the possibility of playing many important matches in a very short amount of time, with minimal time to restring. League and social play is more spaced out and leisurely.

9. If you are a tournament player, do you travel?

If you are a travel tournament player, you need more than a normal one, because you want to be self sufficient, and not at the mercy of a stringing service at the tournament, or local stringers who you are not familiar with.

Here are some examples.

Grady does not consider himself a tennis player, he bats the ball around for fun once or twice a month, he considers this excersise, he does not play games, and if he is unable to play or his racquet/string breaks he is more than happy to go home and watch the baseball game on TV. Grady needs one racquet

Lisa just started playing tennis last year. She loves the game, and wants to get better. She plays in a 2.5/3.0 league on Thurday nights, takes a lesson when she can, and practices when she can recruit some of her friends. All in all Lisa is on court 2-3 times per week. Lisa has never broken a string in her life, and restrings her racquet 2-3 times per year because her pro says it is a good idea. Lisa needs two racquets

Merv is a middle aged, in decent shape guy. He loves playing tennis, he plays competitively in his 3.5-4.0 league. Merv wants to win, and get to sectionals. He goes out and practices two days a week after work, takes the odd lesson, and hits with his wife or son on the weekends. Merv breaks his strings every month or so, and likes to keep a spare racquet two pounds looser for days when he needs a little more zip on his ball. Merv needs three racquets.

Hank used to play in college, now he is a 40 year old teaching pro. He doesn't break many strings anymore, but he can still get after it when he needs to. Hank mostly teaches, and hits around with his fellow instructors for fun. 3 or 4 times a year Hank enters a tournament, and is ranked pretty well in the 40s. Hank needs 4 Racquets.

Josh is a 14 year old. He plays USTA tournaments, and for his school team. Josh breaks strings weekly, and makes weekly trips to the stringer. He plays every day after school, and on the weekends. Josh takes weekly lessons, and really wants to improve, his goal is to play in college. Josh should have 4-6 racquets

Sarah is a 17 year old. She has been playing since the age of four, was scouted by colleges at the age of 12, played the next higher age group for as long as she could remember. She flys around the country playing USTA Nationals, and uses fresh strings for every match. Sarah needs 10-12 Racquets.

Carl is an animal, his friends call him Carl the Cannon. Carl is the kind of guy that draws a crowd wherever he goes. He is 18 years old, and going to play for Pepperdine next year. Carl uses full poly because it is the only thing that will last him more than an hour. When Carl gets done with practice there is a stack of racquets waiting to be restrung. When Carl goes deep into a national tournament it is not unusual for him to go through 16 stringjobs. Carl needs 16+ Racquets.

J

Voltron
04-12-2007, 07:17 PM
How many racquets do I need? All of them.

Mr. Sean
04-12-2007, 07:27 PM
I'd say at least 2 of them. I use one to practice and the other for matches. 3 would be even better. Id say 2 at least two because strings sometimes go out during play so its good to have a backup.

drakulie
04-12-2007, 07:43 PM
I try and have at least two strung at the same tension.

VGP
04-12-2007, 07:49 PM
J011yroger - Sounds reasonable......

Based on your examples......call me Merv. (but younger, and a touch more advanced)

http://i14.tinypic.com/2zivj3l.jpg

J011yroger
04-12-2007, 07:51 PM
Ok Merv.

J

Voltron
04-12-2007, 07:55 PM
I am Josh, only I can string my own racquets in 20 minutes, and can bring the stringer to any important tournament where I might need it. I should get more racquets though, maybe 4 more or so.

theRadical
04-12-2007, 08:06 PM
If you can afford ten racquets and are actually a good, then you might as well have one for every tension in the range, and a few for the tension you like most.

lethalfang
04-12-2007, 08:11 PM
I have quite a few more racquets than I need, that's for sure.

J011yroger
04-12-2007, 09:37 PM
Not dumping on Guga, Professer Kuerton is a guy that Raftermania made up...pretty funny stuff.

Good evening young man,

As an amateur player myself, I would, using purely visual observations measure my service speed at approximately 15 mph.

May I be so earnest to ask why you are interested in such a banal statistic?

In kindness,
Prof. Kuerton

Edit: You will never, ever, ever, ever, hear me talk down about or bust on any tennis player, not if they are 1.0 level, and certainly not one who is or was good enough to make a living playing the game I love, while I have to work a normal job. Read some of my other posts if you want an idea of what kind of person I am.

J

SoBad
04-12-2007, 09:38 PM
You need at least three, so in case one is being restrung you have two to play the match.

dylo
04-12-2007, 09:39 PM
i would like to hav 2+ racquets but the PS 6.0 95 wont be available for some time

Duzza
04-12-2007, 11:17 PM
I would be Josh, but 4-6 of the same? No way.

Ronny
04-12-2007, 11:23 PM
i would need about 2 or 3 of the exact same

Fossika
04-13-2007, 12:01 AM
Well, I am 16, have played for 10 years, train 2-3 times a week + comp on weekend and I'm trying to get into tournies-Like a lot of people IMO, I can't afford identical racquets. My main stick (PD Cortex) cost $300 in the shops, and by your system I would need 3-4 of them, $900-$1200 + cost of restringing all of them....I think not ; )

I hath 1 X Babolat PD Cortex, 1 X Babolat Soft Drive and 1 X old Head Triad

I havent much experience with premium strings but once i get something decent I expect I'll be needing backups.

lethalfang
04-13-2007, 12:55 AM
Well, I am 16, have played for 10 years, train 2-3 times a week + comp on weekend and I'm trying to get into tournies-Like a lot of people IMO, I can't afford identical racquets. My main stick (PD Cortex) cost $300 in the shops, and by your system I would need 3-4 of them, $900-$1200 + cost of restringing all of them....I think not ; )

I havent much experience with premium strings but once i get something decent I expect I'll be needing backups.

Where do you live, that a PD Cortex costs $300, and exactly what currency are you talking about?

Fossika
04-13-2007, 01:14 AM
I live in Australia so thats in Aussie $'s

J011yroger
04-13-2007, 04:09 AM

So on Saturday (2 days) I start my Junior Tournament campaign for March :D, but right now I've only got one strung RDX. The other one I broke last Sunday, it may be ready by Saturday but the big problem is that the one in my bag is still factory strung, and last hit I could literally feel the loss of control in every shot. On top of all that, school's out tomorrow so big night Friday is likely....why do I do these things.....

See what I am driving at? If you have ever run out, or worried about running out of racquets, then you don't have enough. The way I see it, going to a tournament with 1 racquet is like going into the bathroom when there is only one square of paper left, and bringing dissimilar racquets with you is like bringing a tissue, a paper towel, and the sports section along too incase you use up the single square.

J

jmverdugo
04-13-2007, 04:10 AM
Yep, im "merv" too, i just have two sticks though, next month i will be buying the third one.

Fossika has a god point too, availability and price should be in the equation. for instance where i live is very hard to find Yonex, which is what i currently use, so i only buy them when i travel, other than that i think is a good guide.

J011yroger
04-13-2007, 04:12 AM

Like I said, this assumes you can afford them. If money wasn't an issue, wouldn't you feel more comforatble if you had 3-4? And could use your dissimilar racquets for loaners, or leave them at home. As far as stringing costs go, in the long run it doesn't cost any more, I mean you don't break strings faster just because you have a lot of racquets, once you get past the initial stringing cost is the same.

Even so, it doesn't make sense to me to show up with a fruit salad of racquets if you are a serious player. It makes more sense to sell off your non primary racquets, and get more of your primary racquet, even secondhand if you want to save money. If you are a recreational, or non serious player, then whatever.

J

J011yroger
04-13-2007, 04:30 AM
Fossika has a god point too, availability and price should be in the equation. for instance where i live is very hard to find Yonex, which is what i currently use, so i only buy them when i travel, other than that i think is a good guide.

Just because you can't get them, or can't afford them, doesn't change the ideal number. You would still be best off with the ideal number, but sometimes that real life thing gets in the way.

J

flash9
04-13-2007, 05:18 AM
I am Merv!

In my case I have three POG's. In two I keep KLIP Natural Gut, and one I keep some kind of synthetic gut in case it begins to rain or the tennis balls get damp, and I do not want to ruin the natural gut.

Well Flash Merv just does not sound right! :rolleyes:

PS: I think you have the numbers right, but most playes I would say are one step behind where you suggest.

J011yroger
04-13-2007, 05:27 AM
^^ Yea, I am amazed at how many people even 5.5 tournament players who have been doing this for 20+ years are under racqueted.

I figure out the absolute worst case scenario, and like to have at least 2 more racquets than I would possibly ever need.

Bring two freshly strung bats to a tournament, and you are a grommet shear and a cracked frame on a half volley away from defaulting.

J

Fossika
04-13-2007, 05:33 AM
Like I said, this assumes you can afford them. If money wasn't an issue, wouldn't you feel more comforatble if you had 3-4? And could use your dissimilar racquets for loaners, or leave them at home. As far as stringing costs go, in the long run it doesn't cost any more, I mean you don't break strings faster just because you have a lot of racquets, once you get past the initial stringing cost is the same.

Even so, it doesn't make sense to me to show up with a fruit salad of racquets if you are a serious player. It makes more sense to sell off your non primary racquets, and get more of your primary racquet, even secondhand if you want to save money. If you are a recreational, or non serious player, then whatever.

J

I guess 3-4 is just going to be the "ideal" number then. As much as I would like to have them, I can't.

Damn real life stuff :p

J011yroger
04-13-2007, 05:45 AM

No joke Bro! If it wasn't for this job thing, I would be on tour!

(If you can't tell, I am delusional aswell!)

J

jmverdugo
04-13-2007, 05:54 AM
Just because you can't get them, or can't afford them, doesn't change the ideal number. You would still be best off with the ideal number, but sometimes that real life thing gets in the way.

J

I guess you are right :?

shojun25
04-13-2007, 05:57 AM
I'm guessing that I am Merv, except I am not middle aged. ;)

Voltron
04-13-2007, 05:57 AM
What the hell is this......job...thing? I don't understand........;)

SlapShot
04-13-2007, 06:03 AM
I think this was a great guide for most people.

Personally, I don't burn through strings like I did in high school (not practicing 3 hours a day, 6 days a week), but I still feel best when I have at least 2 feshly strung racquets for a match, and a couple for practice/warmups/spares.

It doesn't hurt that I get my racquets used and they don't cost me an arm and a leg.

J011yroger
04-13-2007, 06:08 AM
What the hell is this......job...thing? I don't understand........;)

Rassum Frassum punk kids! Hey, on the bright side, I don't have homework!

J

bad_call
04-13-2007, 06:37 AM
^^ Yea, I am amazed at how many people even 5.5 tournament players who have been doing this for 20+ years are under racqueted...

i'm in this camp. btw - not a quick string breaker and got my own stringer now. hard for me to justify spending $$ too much on racquets since i have other hobbies. however did splurge and got a 2nd T10V Mid since they were being discontinued. probably won't play tourneys anytime soon but still look forward to hitting with competitive players (current or former college types included).

Duzza
04-13-2007, 06:42 AM
See what I am driving at? If you have ever run out, or worried about running out of racquets, then you don't have enough. The way I see it, going to a tournament with 1 racquet is like going into the bathroom when there is only one square of paper left, and bringing dissimilar racquets with you is like bringing a tissue, a paper towel, and the sports section along too incase you use up the single square.

J

Hmm props for finding that old post, I'll shut up.

Duzza
04-13-2007, 06:43 AM
I guess 3-4 is just going to be the "ideal" number then. As much as I would like to have them, I can't.

Fossika, you can find PD's used for about 120 easily. My friend uses the PD and gets them for 150 AUD.

VGP
04-13-2007, 07:40 AM

J

Based on your analogy, I don't need any rackets!

HA!

NoBadMojo
04-13-2007, 07:58 AM
The problem many must have based upon what you read here at the forum, isnt one of not having enough frames..it's about having frames that are the same brand and model, and are matched.

People <often> don't stick with their frames thinking they can buy a better game, rather than just finding something appropriate for their skillset and learning how to make it work well. so they may have plenty of frames, but they're all different. Racquets exceed our ability to make them work.

Pleepers
04-13-2007, 07:59 AM
The way I see it, unless you are on the pro tour, you would be wasting your money if you had more than 5. 2-3 to rotate for practice and the other 1-2 if you are playing a tournament.

I really don't know any serious/5.5+ players who have more than 5.

SlapShot
04-13-2007, 08:01 AM
The problem many must have based upon what you read here at the forum, isnt one of not having enough frames..it's about having frames that are the same brand and model, and are matched.

People <often> don't stick with their frames thinking they can buy a better game, rather than just finding something appropriate for their skillset and learning how to make it work well. so they may have plenty of frames, but they're all different. Racquets exceed our ability to make them work.

Yep yep yep. Well said.

I have had that habit over the past few years - it's the "grass is greener" mentality.

I've finally decided that I'm going to stick with what works, and build my style around those sticks, rather than try and find the stick that suits my mojo that week.

Pleepers
04-13-2007, 08:03 AM
Oh and I just wanted to say that there was someone who won the State Open a few years ago who borrowed a racquet from someone for the tournament. I think it goes to show that the # of racquets you have is irrelevant of how good someone is. And if you are serious about being "good" the equipment is really a small aspect.

J011yroger
04-13-2007, 08:04 AM

Yup yup, I know you have seen me preach "Pick something close, buy a bunch of them, stick with it, and learn how to play/get better."

Same thing for string.

I see people that come to the court with six totally different racquets, and I just don't get it. It is like, what are you trying to accomplish here? Are you just fooling around and trying different stuff and seeing what it is like? Or do you want to get better?

J

drakulie
04-13-2007, 08:08 AM
I agree with NBMJ! Well said.

Swissv2
04-13-2007, 08:08 AM
The OP forgot one thing....

If you are an avid collector who's obsession is tennis, you need:

As many racquets as your fuzzy heart desires!

J011yroger
04-13-2007, 08:15 AM
The way I see it, unless you are on the pro tour, you would be wasting your money if you had more than 5. 2-3 to rotate for practice and the other 1-2 if you are playing a tournament.

I really don't know any serious/5.5+ players who have more than 5.

I have dropped off 6-10 racquets to be strung at one time. That is the entire point of my post. Maybe YOU would be wasting your money if you had more than 5, some other people would be wasting thier money if they had more than three.

Ability has very little to do with it. Yea, I referenced ability in my examples, but nowhere mentioned it in the contributing factors. A 14 year old clay court tournament player with heavy topspin strokes may break strings in hours, where a 30 year old 5.5 S&V player may have his strings last months.

J

NoBadMojo
04-13-2007, 08:18 AM
Yep yep yep. Well said.

I have had that habit over the past few years - it's the "grass is greener" mentality.

I've finally decided that I'm going to stick with what works, and build my style around those sticks, rather than try and find the stick that suits my mojo that week.

aye....people change and use racquets for the most unusual reasons at times...things like one racquet looking nicer to them, even if they dont play as well with it. the key is to get your mojo being the same from hit to hit, and for that, best to not keep screwing around with the gear

Oh and I just wanted to say that there was someone who won the State Open a few years ago who borrowed a racquet from someone for the tournament. I think it goes to show that the # of racquets you have is irrelevant of how good someone is. And if you are serious about being "good" the equipment is really a small aspect.

Kevin Kim did that not so long ago on the pro tour. He was using some racquet and struggling and suddenly switched to the Volkl T10MP Gen1 from a different brand (i dont think he was even sponsored) and suddenly started performing lots better..sometimes a racquet can give you a psychological boost as well as a performence boost..the key is to determine if the boost will only last for the day or a week, or if it will be something long lived

Yup yup, I know you have seen me preach "Pick something close, buy a bunch of them, stick with it, and learn how to play/get better."

Same thing for string.

I see people that come to the court with six totally different racquets, and I just don't get it. It is like, what are you trying to accomplish here? Are you just fooling around and trying different stuff and seeing what it is like? Or do you want to get better?

J

sorry man, havent seen you post that, but you're a TP who knows his stuff, so not surprising..it's just basic info. i've had people switch frames in the middle of lessons, or even want to finish the lesson with one of my frames. most of my lessons are using something reasonable framewise these days, but i've observed that many of them are strung too tightly or using poily when they dont need it, and struggle unecessarily with that. thankfully, i dont ever get ps85 or pc600 lessons anymore..those were usually the worst <even worse than a pantyhose lesson>

J011yroger
04-13-2007, 08:23 AM

Firstly, no one, well at least not me, is talking about how good you, or anyone else is.

Secondly does the fact that someone won the state open with a borrowed racquet make it a good idea? What is the point of posting that? If someone decided to play a tournament, and borrowed a racquet from a friend, would you think that he really cared about winning or losing?

People have defaulted matches on the pro tour because they didn't have enough racquets. That is just stupid.

I dunno about serious about being "good" but if you are serious about winning you don't neglect to prepare.

I have spare shoes and laces in my bag, does that make me a little obsessive? Maybe. Will I ever have to default a match because I broke a shoelace, or tore a shoe? No.

J

jakshemash
04-13-2007, 08:26 AM
I'm a younger Carl based on what my coaches have said about my ability and possible future career, but for me tops is 12 racquets because being in europe, although i play on different surfaces and customise differently, even in a big match the most racquets i'd use is maybe between 7 and 9, and i use strings that aren't that durable with a modern spin/power all court game.

TENNIS_99
04-13-2007, 08:28 AM

Exactly, this is why I stock up 4 I Radical for only for about $250. Nowaday one new racquet can cost that much beside the gimmick technology . Save money for strings, balls, courts, tournaments and lessons.

snoopy
04-13-2007, 08:43 AM
Ok you've convinced of the need for multiple identical racquets. Now how do I mangae them?

With 2 racquets it's easy, same string and tension and just rotate them.

But how do I manage three or more? Do I keep one as a last resort stick (eg string with poly) while using the other two as my main frames? If I break a string on one of my main sticks should I restring them both after I leave the courts? Do I rotate all three frames or just my two primary frames?

bad_call
04-13-2007, 08:50 AM
...thankfully, i dont ever get ps85 or pc600 lessons anymore..those were usually the worst <even worse than a pantyhose lesson>

nobody ever told me not to wear hose....btw - got any pictures?

NoBadMojo
04-13-2007, 08:56 AM
nobody ever told me not to wear hose....btw - got any pictures?

no..the strategy and technique is to try NOT to look when they bend over to pick up balls....extend your left foot <or right>, do a 180 pivot, and have your back to the panty hose ;O

TENNIS_99
04-13-2007, 09:01 AM
Ok you've convinced of the need for multiple identical racquets. Now how do I mangae them?

But how do I manage three or more? Do I keep one as a last resort stick (eg string with poly) while using the other two as my main frames? If I break a string on one of my main sticks should I restring them both after I leave the courts? Do I rotate all three frames or just my two primary frames?

For my 4 I. Radical, I leave one unstrung - this is the backup if one of the others cracked - I had bad experience with Head racquets that they don't last but I like how they swing and feel.

For the rest of the three, I string two at 56 and one at 58 (mark them). I don't rotate them. I restring if I break it, if I don't break it after 15 hours or so I will switch to another one for another 15 hours or so. Then cut and restring two of them. And play with the third one.

bad_call
04-13-2007, 09:03 AM
no..the strategy and technique is to try NOT to look when they bend over to pick up balls....extend your left foot <or right>, do a 180 pivot, and have your back to the panty hose ;O

or don't let them see u looking... ;) reminds me of a scene in the movie Caddyshack...

apologies if some find offensive...just antsy for the weekend.

Pleepers
04-13-2007, 09:14 AM
Firstly, no one, well at least not me, is talking about how good you, or anyone else is.

I think if you look between the lines, I agree that you are not talking about how good you currently are, but really talking about trying to become as good as you can be. Because, if you are trying to equip yourself with all the gear you might need -you do this so that you can perform at your best. Right?

Secondly does the fact that someone won the state open with a borrowed racquet make it a good idea? What is the point of posting that? If someone decided to play a tournament, and borrowed a racquet from a friend, would you think that he really cared about winning or losing?

Good idea or not…I think the point I was trying to make is that our equipment plays a much less important role than this thread is making it out to be. Obviously the person who borrowed the racquet did care about winning otherwise they would not have paid the $30 entry fee and pushed themselves to play/win the 6 matches it took to win the tournament.

I dunno about serious about being "good" but if you are serious about winning you don't neglect to prepare.

Exactly! I think you are confusing the concept of being “prepared”. To be a “serious” player: fitness, mental toughnes, and match play are 1000X more important that having lots of racquets each strung at different tensions with different weights and balances for different conditions. I agree that have a racquet that fits your game is important, but I think a “serious player” will be most prepared and have the most success if they focus more on the things I’ve just mentioned versus the # of racquets they have. Because lets face it –you only really need one.

I have spare shoes and laces in my bag, does that make me a little obsessive? Maybe. Will I ever have to default a match because I broke a shoelace, or tore a shoe? No.

Sounds to me you are more paranoid about loosing than you are concerned about winning.

J011yroger
04-13-2007, 09:18 AM

I keep a spiral book, and keep track of how many times I string each racquet, so that I can keep approx the same amount of stringings/play on each frame, so that one doesn't get softer than the rest.

If you play one until it breaks, then go to a new one, the new one is going to play much differently, however if you rotate them all so they all have even wear, then you may break a lot of strings in a short amount of time when they all wear down. It is personal preferance, and you gotta go with what works for you.

Here is a thread where I show my system.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=123530

J

bad_call
04-13-2007, 09:28 AM
...Sounds to me you are more paranoid about loosing than you are concerned about winning.

i think u jumped to the wrong conclusion here. some players keep more equipment than others. that's just how they choose to spend their $. like fisherman...some have more lures in their tackle box than others. whatever someone is comfortable with...and helps them win the bassmaster's trophy!!

J011yroger
04-13-2007, 09:31 AM
I think if you look between the lines, I agree that you are not talking about how good you currently are, but really talking about trying to become as good as you can be. Because, if you are trying to equip yourself with all the gear you might need -you do this so that you can perform at your best. Right?

Exactly.

Good idea or not…I think the point I was trying to make is that our equipment plays a much less important role than this thread is making it out to be. Obviously the person who borrowed the racquet did care about winning otherwise they would not have paid the $30 entry fee and pushed themselves to play/win the 6 matches it took to win the tournament.

I didn't start this thread with the intention of it being the "be all, end all"
I just thought it was something that went overlooked by a large number of players, and figured I would give my thoughts on it.

Exactly! I think you are confusing the concept of being “prepared”. To be a “serious” player: fitness, mental toughnes, and match play are 1000X more important that having lots of racquets each strung at different tensions with different weights and balances for different conditions. I agree that have a racquet that fits your game is important, but I think a “serious player” will be most prepared and have the most success if they focus more on the things I’ve just mentioned versus the # of racquets they have. Because lets face it –you only really need one.

On a good Saturday I will go through 3-4 racquets...how can you say I really only need one? Everyone is different.

Obviously Fitness, Mental Toughness, and Match Play are important, but that is not the topic of this thread. It is like me saying that having a solid backhand return of serve is important, and you saying that having a solid backhand return of serve is irrelivant if your opponent double faults all the time. Well, yea what you say is true, but it isn't what I am talking about. I speak about match play, mental toughness, and fitness in their respective forums, and threads. This is the racquet forum, I am here to talk about racquets. In the tips/instruction and health and fitness forums you can see my thoughts on all that other stuff.

Sounds to me you are more paranoid about loosing than you are concerned about winning.

One of the things that I go over with my mental coach, is the fact that you cannot really fixate on winning and losing, all you can do is play consistently at the highest level possible, and put your self in the best position to do well. Proper preparation and equipment is right there with hydration, practice, diet and excersise.

J

NoBadMojo
04-13-2007, 09:55 AM
or don't let them see u looking... ;) reminds me of a scene in the movie Caddyshack...

apologies if some find offensive...just antsy for the weekend.

you mean the scene where Carl is at the ball washer ??

Pleepers
04-13-2007, 10:02 AM
Exactly.

On a good Saturday I will go through 3-4 racquets...how can you say I really only need one? Everyone is different.

J

Wow...I guess everyone is different. I only string once every two weeks..

bad_call
04-13-2007, 10:04 AM
you mean the scene where Carl is at the ball washer ??

if it's the scene where he says "bark like a dog" then yes...

SlapShot
04-13-2007, 10:12 AM
Wow...I guess everyone is different. I only string once every two weeks..

Exactly. You need to keep in mind that some people do tend to break strings early and often, and for those of us that do, we need to be prepared with a backup racquet if and when the time comes.

I think that JR's guidelines were very much right on - he wasn't talking about playing ability as much as he was talking about how often they play and how many sets of strings they break. A 3.5 who hits a strong western forehand and hits the ball hard may go through 4x as many strings as a 5.5 who hits flat - not a factor of ability, this is a factor of hitting style.

bad_call
04-13-2007, 10:19 AM
...A 3.5 who hits a strong western forehand and hits the ball hard may go through 4x as many strings as a 5.5 who hits flat - not a factor of ability, this is a factor of hitting style.

ooh so that's why i don't break strings often. i hit mostly flat with E FH and mostly flat/top spin w/selective slice on BH.

SlapShot
04-13-2007, 10:31 AM
ooh so that's why i don't break strings often. i hit mostly flat with E FH and mostly flat/top spin w/selective slice on BH.

It's probably a combination of things. I hit moderate topspin from both sides, but I hit a string kick serve, which really eats at my strings.

NoBadMojo
04-13-2007, 10:59 AM
and lots of youngins break strings left and right by hitting frame balls. poly is very hard to break for most people by hitting it in the sweetspot..it is, however, very subject to shearing by hitting framers and near framers....it also just doesnt play well for very long, so sometimes it's a blessing when totally shanking an overhead and snapping some strings ;O

VGP
04-13-2007, 11:14 AM
thankfully, i dont ever get ps85 or pc600 lessons anymore..those were usually the worst <even worse than a pantyhose lesson>

If I made an appointment for a lesson with you and I pulled out my PS 85 out of my bag, would you judge me?

Don't expect me to wear pantyhose. That would be a bad lesson.

NoBadMojo
04-13-2007, 12:26 PM
If I made an appointment for a lesson with you and I pulled out my PS 85 out of my bag, would you judge me?

Don't expect me to wear pantyhose. That would be a bad lesson.

man a ps85 wielding pantyhose wearing lesson would be the double whammy! ack.... i try not to judge anyone until i have info to process.

Pleepers
04-13-2007, 12:37 PM
I keep a spiral book, and keep track of how many times I string each racquet, so that I can keep approx the same amount of stringings/play on each frame, so that one doesn't get softer than the rest.

If you play one until it breaks, then go to a new one, the new one is going to play much differently, however if you rotate them all so they all have even wear, then you may break a lot of strings in a short amount of time when they all wear down. It is personal preferance, and you gotta go with what works for you.

Here is a thread where I show my system.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=123530

J

That's the funniest thing I've seen in a long time!:-D

J011yroger
04-13-2007, 04:11 PM
and lots of youngins break strings left and right by hitting frame balls. poly is very hard to break for most people by hitting it in the sweetspot..it is, however, very subject to shearing by hitting framers and near framers....it also just doesnt play well for very long, so sometimes it's a blessing when totally shanking an overhead and snapping some strings ;O

I know this is a bad thing to say, and I am knocking wood, but I have never sheared poly in my life. Maybe it is because the N90 has a thin beam and doesn't put as much of a stress on the string as the wider bodys. It is certainly not because I don't frame the ball.

J

J011yroger
04-13-2007, 04:15 PM
That's the funniest thing I've seen in a long time!:-D

Funny what like a clown? Do I amuse you?

J

ibringtheHEAT
04-13-2007, 04:20 PM
Funny what like a clown? Do I amuse you?

J

Your so blatantly honest, and that amuses me...you really are a great contributor to this board.

As for me I keep 2 matched frames (getting 3 more within the next month or so) and then 3 backups.

Once I have my 5 matched I think I'll be alright for awhile.

Anyways, great thread.

Santoro071
04-13-2007, 04:28 PM
I like to carry 5 racquets. 3 mids and 2 mid-plus's. One of the mid-plus's is just a loaner that I like to loan out when somebody needs a racquet. The rest I split up between matches and practice.

NoBadMojo
04-13-2007, 05:12 PM
I know this is a bad thing to say, and I am knocking wood, but I have never sheared poly in my life. Maybe it is because the N90 has a thin beam and doesn't put as much of a stress on the string as the wider bodys. It is certainly not because I don't frame the ball.

J

interesting you assumed i was talking about you..i wasnt..there are others who do however, and those people go thru lots of strings..if you frame the ball with any poly at high bat speed, strings are a poppin'..it's hard to break a poly in the sweetspot..the stuff just doesnt break, it just becomes even more ugly that in was to start with IMO..

J011yroger
04-13-2007, 05:23 PM
^^Nah, I knew you were just talking about people in general. In my experience ALU notches 1/2 or a little less than 1/2 way through the string at which time it is totally whooped, from that point on, it can break at any time. You do need some brute force to get it to snap in the sweet spot, else it will hang in there forever and you will be stuck with the worst playing string on the planet.

I go through it in 2 hours with a good hitting partner, it hangs in a bit longer if I am playing a match, or against someone without the big steam. I usually cut it out before it breaks, but sometimes if I am hitting ok, I will just keep on thumping until I snap it.

J

Tennis Man
04-14-2007, 05:25 AM
My name is Merv Hank. I'm young and restless and play tennis 3-12 hrs a day, 1-3 times a week (for now). :)

I need just 3-4 PS 85 SV to be happy (getting there).

lilxjohnyy
06-22-2007, 07:03 AM
im a merv... i have three different rackets in my bag because i just got a new racket and my mom took my other racket that i have two of and the last one is my dads

dunloplayah
06-22-2007, 07:05 AM
I keep two of the same make in my bag, not always strung the same. I guess I'm a lisa but I string my own racquets, so I can always change it up before a match if needed. When the new storm comes out, i may pick one up as my main stick and have the other two in the bag as back ups. Match play 2-3 times a week, lessons on saturdays with match play after, practice all other days but sunday (depending on if I go to the lake or not on saturdays)

bad_call
06-22-2007, 07:07 AM
It's probably a combination of things. I hit moderate topspin from both sides, but I hit a string kick serve, which really eats at my strings.

i'm breaking strings faster now since i've tweaked my serve...not complaining since i'm getting more free points. ;)

JRProstaf9
06-22-2007, 07:08 AM
Generally if your in the 3.5 to 4.5 range and play a moderate amount (practice/matches) I've found that you can get by w/ only 3 of the same racket all strung up the same (tension/string). Its not until you get into the 5.0+ group that you need more than 3 sticks and thats either b/c you hit w/ an insane amount of spin and go through string jobs like butter or you like to string rackets at different tensions or w/ diff types of strings depending on where/when/how your playing.

Although really now a days when rackets are getting into the 130+ price range getting 2 sticks is an investment... which means a decent chunk of your paycheck if your like me and have to have 3or4 sticks to rotate in and out of play.

tbini87
08-11-2007, 03:07 PM
16+ racquets sounds like too many to me... does anyone around here carry that many? why not take half that and just get them restrung when needed? just curious.

Tarqs
08-11-2007, 03:16 PM
Fossika, you can find PD's used for about 120 easily. My friend uses the PD and gets them for 150 AUD.

where??? which state do you live in?

J011yroger
08-11-2007, 05:43 PM
16+ racquets sounds like too many to me... does anyone around here carry that many? why not take half that and just get them restrung when needed? just curious.

I do, but I am wierd. 16 is about right for me when my tournament schedule is heavy.

Bear in mind that once you get to a certain level, you are not just dealing with string breaking issues, but you actually wear out frames pretty rapidly.

So if I only played 6 frames, in addition to running out of racquets due to string breaking, the frames themselves would all be shot in about 6 months.

J

bad_call
08-11-2007, 07:28 PM
...Bear in mind that once you get to a certain level, you are not just dealing with string breaking issues, but you actually wear out frames pretty rapidly...

i'm probably at that level but don't play enuf to wear them out. however my surfboards show pressure dings and the such from my last surf trip. :p

btw - how can u tell ur frame is wearing besides the obvious snapping in half ?

redsoxrock930
08-11-2007, 07:32 PM
probably like three or so

tbini87
08-11-2007, 10:04 PM
wow, i guess i never really thought about traveling and playing tournaments. are all of your racquets matched identically or do you have different racquets at diffrerent weights and balances and tensions?

Duzza
08-11-2007, 10:45 PM
So I'm Josh according to your system. I only need 2 racquets.

Ultra2HolyGrail
08-12-2007, 02:44 AM
One thing for sure is nobody needs 14 racquets :=)

Ultra2HolyGrail
08-12-2007, 02:55 AM
i'm probably at that level but don't play enuf to wear them out. however my surfboards show pressure dings and the such from my last surf trip. :p

I have only had one racquet ever wear out on me, a pro staff 85 china. Just before it cracked real bad at 3-9 it was playing really bad for the last few sets of it's life.

I'm picky in a way i like one favorite racquet and play with that all the time. So for me 3 racquets is plenty.

J011yroger
08-12-2007, 03:11 AM

They just start to feel soft. From the constant stress of being strung, and bending everytime you hit a ball the graphite just breaks down. Obviously the harder you hit the faster they wear out.

It is a gradual thing, and most players would probably never realize that a frame was going dead.

Imagine if you bought two navy blue t-shirts. You put one in your dresser drawer and never wore it, and then the second one, you wore every day, and washed every day. You would probably not notice the one you wore every day fading, because it is only slightly more faded than the day before when you put it in the wash. But if in a couple months you held it up to the brand new one the difference in color would be obvious.

J

J011yroger
08-12-2007, 03:13 AM
wow, i guess i never really thought about traveling and playing tournaments. are all of your racquets matched identically or do you have different racquets at diffrerent weights and balances and tensions?

All exactly the same. I used to keep different tensions, but now even that is the same.

Same weight and balance, same string, same tension.

J

Ultra2HolyGrail
08-12-2007, 03:33 AM
They just start to feel soft. From the constant stress of being strung, and bending everytime you hit a ball the graphite just breaks down. Obviously the harder you hit the faster they wear out.

It is a gradual thing, and most players would probably never realize that a frame was going dead.

Imagine if you bought two navy blue t-shirts. You put one in your dresser drawer and never wore it, and then the second one, you wore every day, and washed every day. You would probably not notice the one you wore every day fading, because it is only slightly more faded than the day before when you put it in the wash. But if in a couple months you held it up to the brand new one the difference in color would be obvious.

J

Yes there is a lifespan but just how many stringings and play time can one racquet handle without degrade in performance ? I'm going to guess by your paranoia, racquet count, that you dont think they last that long. But think you might be suprised just how long a racquet can last. 14 racquets you should be good to go for life lol, considering you're not a safin wannabe on the court..

J011yroger
08-12-2007, 03:43 AM
Yes there is a lifespan but just how many stringings and play time can one racquet handle without degrade in performance ? I'm going to guess by your paranoia, racquet count, that you dont think they last that long. But think you might be suprised just how long a racquet can last. 14 racquets you should be good to go for life lol, considering you're not a safin wannabe on the court..

I can tell the difference between a new racquet and one with 10 stringjobs on it. They start getting soft around 20 stringjobs, and are pretty much beat by 30 stringjobs.

What would you consider a degrade in performance? If it still can get the ball back over the net and isn't cracked is that acceptable to you?

How many RDC stiffness points would you consider a degrade?
If a frame starts out with a stiffness of 66, when would you replace it?

J

Ultra2HolyGrail
08-12-2007, 03:59 AM
I can tell the difference between a new racquet and one with 10 stringjobs on it. They start getting soft around 20 stringjobs, and are pretty much beat by 30 stringjobs.

What would you consider a degrade in performance? If it still can get the ball back over the net and isn't cracked is that acceptable to you?

How many RDC stiffness points would you consider a degrade?
If a frame starts out with a stiffness of 66, when would you replace it?

J

Interesting indeed, but doubt you could tell just after 10 stringings a difference in performance. That would be a good money bet that you could pick the new one everytime. I would bet against it. If the frame is not cracked yes it should deliver the same or undetectable performance.. The only time i ever noticed a difference was just before the frame broke. And it was subtle, but there. It would be interesting to see how much stiffness is lost after so many stringings, are you sure they lose stiffness?

J011yroger
08-12-2007, 04:06 AM
It would be interesting to see how much stiffness is lost after so many stringings, are you sure they lose stiffness?

Yes, I am quite sure they lose stiffness.

J

nickb
08-12-2007, 04:16 AM
I need 5 racquets because of string breaking....I would need more if I didnt string for myself.

Ultra2HolyGrail
08-12-2007, 04:17 AM
Yes, I am quite sure they lose stiffness.

J

Hehe paranoia setting in :) One of my ultra2's is almost 30yrs old and it for sure, any ultra 2 that functions, i would bet is still stiff as heck with plow through galore. And these are 30yr old racquets. Your arm will be feeling it. Interesting though.

Loco4Tennis
08-12-2007, 04:54 AM
You need at least three, so in case one is being restrung you have two to play the match.

3?, this is what i thought too, have a backup for the backup, but now i think more is needed if you are a SERIOUS player,
i carry 2 strung at one tension and another strung a little lower but what happens when the lower tension one breaks in mid play, i have to go bakc to the higher tension one, so now i'm thinking i should carry 4, 2 for each of the tensions at least, not a big string breaker, so i could porvably get away with this for most of my time.

Ultra2HolyGrail
08-12-2007, 05:12 AM
3?, this is what i thought too, have a backup for the backup, but now i think more is needed if you are a SERIOUS player,
i carry 2 strung at one tension and another strung a little lower but what happens when the lower tension one breaks in mid play, i have to go bakc to the higher tension one, so now i'm thinking i should carry 4, 2 for each of the tensions at least, not a big string breaker, so i could porvably get away with this for most of my time.

You cant judge a serious player by how many racquets he has. He very might as well be serious about tennis but nobody should judge a player by how many racquets they have lol. Especially if you're not a big string breaker. 3 is plenty for any league or tournament. Odds are you wont even need a backup if your not a string breaker. Just keep them restrung when you need to.

Loco4Tennis
08-12-2007, 08:58 AM
You cant judge a serious player by how many racquets he has. He very might as well be serious about tennis but nobody should judge a player by how many racquets they have lol. Especially if you're not a big string breaker. 3 is plenty for any league or tournament. Odds are you wont even need a backup if your not a string breaker. Just keep them restrung when you need to.

ask ANY serious tennis player how many racquets they have, average responce will be about 7+, either in their bags and/or their home, due to the fact that you try to up your game with better racquets, a non serious player will not spend the money to find out, but a serious player will, now here it comes, How many racquets do you have? at home and in your bag!?

nickb
08-12-2007, 02:04 PM
ask ANY serious tennis player how many racquets they have, average responce will be about 7+, either in their bags and/or their home, due to the fact that you try to up your game with better racquets, a non serious player will not spend the money to find out, but a serious player will, now here it comes, How many racquets do you have? at home and in your bag!?

Thats not true....I have played dubs against an open player with a high ranking in the UK who just has 2 nsix-one 95's....he only brings 1 to matches.....just 1 racquet and a bottle of water...no bag..nothing. He gets his racquet restrung (with kevlar) once every 2 weeks and never breaks it. Dont judge a player by the equipment they have.

Nick

davey
08-12-2007, 03:55 PM
I use a babolat PD for serves and overheads. A K90 for forehands and a Volkl DNX 1 Power Arm for backhands. Occasionally I will whip out a Yonex RQS 11 for a drop shot but that's about it. Every now and then I think about using the K90 for a slice backhand but I don't think I am ready for it yet.

I know you are thinking this idiot can't be using all those rackets at the same time and well, I don't, just for those shots. After all you only need one racquet per shot. This is where a tennis backpack really comes in handy. On hot days I slip a camelback in the bag for inter-shot hydration.

Overall, I would say this has boosted my game from 1.5 to 2.0. I just bought 3 lbs of lead tape and can't wait to apply it. That should get my game up to 2.5... or maybe 3.0!!

davey
08-12-2007, 03:57 PM
I use a babolat PD for serves and overheads. A K90 for forehands and a Volkl DNX 1 Power Arm for backhands. Occasionally I will whip out a Yonex RQS 11 for a drop shot but that's about it. Every now and then I think about using the K90 for a slice backhand but I don't think I am ready for it yet.

I know you are thinking this idiot can't be using all those rackets at the same time and well, I don't, just for those shots. After all you only need one racquet per shot. This is where a tennis backpack really comes in handy. On hot days I slip a camelback in the bag for inter-shot hydration.

Overall, I would say this has boosted my game from 1.5 to 2.0. I just bought 3 lbs of lead tape and can't wait to apply it. That should get my game up to 2.5... or maybe 3.0:!:

iplaybetter
08-12-2007, 05:32 PM
i am a junior hank. but i cant afford more rackets so at the moment 2 work fine
also i restring the night i break a string so stringing is not so huge an issue

JMS
08-12-2007, 06:20 PM

Overall, I would say this has boosted my game from 1.5 to 2.0. I just bought 3 lbs of lead tape and can't wait to apply it. That should get my game up to 2.5... or maybe 3.0:!:

I am stunned reading this post, I don't know what to say

SoBad
08-12-2007, 07:38 PM

You are not in disagreement with me, because I said "at least three", not "three". For me three is fine, also because I use the same string and tension in all of them, and I guess I am not a real "serious" player.:-(

hrstrat57
08-12-2007, 07:51 PM
let's see....

at the moment I have I ready to play in good condition strung with quality string....

2 i radical mp one l4 one l5(austria)
1 ti radical mp
2 ti radical os
2 head i prestige mp
2 wilson ps 85 mids
3 dunlop 200g's
1 prince graphite II mp
1 yonex super rd tour mp

I think that adds up to 14 but I might be missing a couple....recently sold 3 prince pog mids and 3 prince 640 mp and one wilson st vincent kramer staff mid and 1 addl i radical mp oh yeah...and 2 head radical tour mp 97's

so 14 ready to racquets....

played 3 sets today and had 2 i prestige mp strung with bab hurricane 17 and 1 i radical l5 strung with head intellitour in the bag...used all 3 racquets but didn't need any more....18x20 I nearly never break a string....so the rest of the racquets are mostly fluff....tho I have been hitting quite a bit with the 2 ps 85's.

whether or not any of this means anything is dubious at best.....I just felt like participating in this very important thread

Serve em Up
08-13-2007, 05:20 AM
I'm like Merv. I break about a string per month. I keep two rackets in my bag. Always need to have thebackup because I never know when that string is going to pop.

basil J
08-13-2007, 06:37 AM
I typically have 2-3 frames. I break strings fairly often and if they don't break, I like a fresh string after 10-12 hours of play. As a recreational player, I have found that 2 or 3 frames has been a good amount. I always have one racquet strung a bit tighter than my other two in case I need some extra control.

davey
08-13-2007, 09:05 PM
I am stunned reading this post, I don't know what to say

Stunned!? Just wait until you hear about the real estate deal I have just for you. Have your people call my people.:mrgreen:

Loco4Tennis
08-14-2007, 06:57 AM
I typically have 2-3 frames. I break strings fairly often and if they don't break, I like a fresh string after 10-12 hours of play. As a recreational player, I have found that 2 or 3 frames has been a good amount. I always have one racquet strung a bit tighter than my other two in case I need some extra control.

i have this setup as well 2 racquets set at one tension, and i want another set higher, what tension do you set yours at, and are you concerned about not having a backup for the higher tension one?

basil J
08-14-2007, 07:12 AM
Check my signature. I usually string 2 pounds tighter for my third frame, 63#/61#

Ethan
08-14-2007, 07:56 AM
i would say at lease two cuz if u break one u would still hav at lease one left as backup until u buy another one

johnv_pr
08-14-2007, 01:37 PM
I'm Merv too and have three of the same. I use it as a safeguard to allways have 2 in the bag for games just in case one is being strung.

jdelcue
08-14-2007, 01:57 PM
...have three of the same. I use it as a safeguard to always have 2 in the bag for games just in case one is being strung.

Makes the most sense.

I think the answer most ppl would give is 2-3 depending on whether you're concerned about just having another racquet in case a string pops or if you want to have 2 with you at a time when one is being strung at a shop or you'd like to have one strung a bit higher than the standard pair...

2-3. ;)

Char
08-14-2007, 02:21 PM
...have 2 in the bag for games just in case one is being strung.

I like three, for this reason also, although two works most of the time.

Tscott415
08-14-2007, 02:35 PM
So i think i need multiples of one racket but im only a freshmen and my mom wont let me get anymore so i was wondering what the main reason is behind multiple rackets, and i dont break strings very often. In fact i have never broken a string i always restring after two months or if the strings lose too much tension.

Char
08-14-2007, 03:18 PM
So i think i need multiples of one racket but im only a freshmen and my mom wont let me get anymore so i was wondering what the main reason is behind multiple rackets, and i dont break strings very often. In fact i have never broken a string i always restring after two months or if the strings lose too much tension.

Well, maybe you want to go with a string that is more geared towards playability than durability. In that case, you're going to start breaking the occasional string. Maybe also you have a match or just a good day of hitting planned and dont want to risk forfeiting due to a sting breakage (this is why most are going to say you need two) or a really flat stringbed.

You then may also get into stringing racquets more often, and the turnaround time if you have only one racquet might on some days actually prevent you from playing if you only have one racquet. If you have two racquets, and one is in the shop, then you may as before risk having to forfeit the second a string breaks if you are unlucky (which is then the reason for having three racquets).

Technically, sure, one racquet is all you need.

tenniskid3119
08-14-2007, 03:26 PM
I am Josh. Exept I break strings every month instead of every week. And can only afford 2-3 racquets.

davey
08-15-2007, 08:04 PM

Get a job. A few weeks of flipping burgers part-time should get you another racket.

jura
08-15-2007, 08:47 PM
Normally I have 3 identical rackets, sometimes 4, the most I ever had were 6.
Altogether at the moment there are about 80 rackets in my working room - about 30 are mine, the rest is for testing.:D

Gmedlo
08-15-2007, 09:14 PM
I am a (15 y/old) junior that breaks strings about once a week, depending on how much court time is available. I hit with moderate-high topspin with an eastern forehand, semi-eastern, high topspin backhand, and love to come to the net. I have a stringing machine, and have access to pretty much any racquet brand at 20% off M.A.P. (jealous? :lol:), so i have no problem affording racquets. I currently have 2 racquets and I am having trouble convincing my parents that I could use a third. How should I convince them otherwise?

P.S. I have been in a situation in tournaments where I have to play multiple matches within 3 hours (with no time to string) of each other, with only one racquet available. I am very lucky I haven't had to retire due to lack of equipment.

I should have at least 3? Right?

thundaga
08-15-2007, 09:48 PM
... so i have no problem affording racquets. I currently have 2 racquets and I am having trouble convincing my parents that I could use a third. How should I convince them otherwise?

so im guessing its not u who does the affording if u dont already have a 3rd lol

EZRA
08-21-2007, 04:23 PM
I am a 32 yr old Hank - used to play D2 Tennis back in College. I carry 4 Ncode 6.1 16x18 95 in my bag ... all strung with Forten Thin Blends (Aramid).

J011yroger
08-22-2007, 03:13 AM

http://i15.tinypic.com/4vq7z8z.jpg

http://i19.tinypic.com/6d1yyhv.jpg

http://i19.tinypic.com/66afj93.jpg

That is 1 1/2 days of practice... 3 is not plenty for ANY league or tournament.

Three is however a fine number for the majority of 3.0-4.5 players.

That is why I made these guidelines to help people decide.

J

EZRA
08-23-2007, 09:33 AM
J011yroger: Just wondering, Did you slam the side of that racquet down on the net, netpost, or the court surface? Seems like the point of impact is on the side of the racquet.

jkonecne
08-23-2007, 11:19 AM

J

Hey ideal for me would be 6 with a matching bag and all adidas clothing in the same clothing line. There is a difference between ideal and necessary. Someone at the 2.5 level who basically just plays for fun on the side and has never broken a string in her life(Lisa) definitely only needs 1 racket. She doesn't have developed spin and doesn't hit the ball hard won't even notice that the strings are a little older. She probably won't even care because her strings won't even have that much of an impact on her game.

I know a number of division 2 national champion tennis players, teammates of Eric Butorac, and a number of division 1 players and none of them had 16+ rackets. They usually had about half that number. Most pros don't have 16 rackets let alone more than that.

This 14 yr old player that makes weekly trips to the stringer and plays everyday and plays in many usta tournaments that has 4-6 rackets would have to be at the top level of college and should have aspirations to go past the college level.

barry
08-23-2007, 11:35 AM
I asked a player at the club how many rackets he has. He said 2 one for playing and one for throwing, I laughed. He was throwing that day.

Automatix
08-23-2007, 11:41 AM
I asked a player at the club how many rackets he has. He said 2 one for playing and one for throwing, I laughed. He was throwing that day.

That's a good one! Need to remember that... :grin:

wmrhawk
08-23-2007, 01:25 PM
to paraphrase former U.S. Senator Gramm: i got more than i need, but not as many as i want.

J011yroger
08-23-2007, 05:08 PM
J011yroger: Just wondering, Did you slam the side of that racquet down on the net, netpost, or the court surface? Seems like the point of impact is on the side of the racquet.

Crossbar of the back fence.

J

J011yroger
08-23-2007, 05:14 PM
I know a number of division 2 national champion tennis players, teammates of Eric Butorac, and a number of division 1 players and none of them had 16+ rackets. They usually had about half that number. Most pros don't have 16 rackets let alone more than that.

Most high level pros get 20-40 racquets at the beginning of each season, as in hardcourt season, claycourt season, grasscourt season.

Most lesser pros go through 20+ racquets a year.

For non-pro players, it is the travel tournaments with limited access to restringing that really drives the ideal number up.

J

Pleepers
08-26-2007, 06:20 PM
Wow, I can't believe this thread is still alive. Anyways, considering the high number of times Jo11yroger strings his racquets might be a strong reason why his racquets "go soft" after a relatively short period of time. The stringing process is fairly stressful on the frame.

J011yroger
08-27-2007, 02:46 AM
Not sure if it is the stringing or the hitting, but I guarantee something does it.

J

VikingSamurai
08-27-2007, 03:35 AM
http://i15.tinypic.com/4vq7z8z.jpg

http://i19.tinypic.com/6d1yyhv.jpg

http://i19.tinypic.com/66afj93.jpg

That is 1 1/2 days of practice... 3 is not plenty for ANY league or tournament.

Three is however a fine number for the majority of 3.0-4.5 players.

That is why I made these guidelines to help people decide.

J

Well hitting the ball more than you hit the court is probably the first bit of coaching I would offer you then..

I would have been as high as 5.5 6, and I only ever had 3 -6 racquets at any one time.. I think 3 is more than enough for anyone that doesn't call tennis their career..

J011yroger
08-27-2007, 02:15 PM
Well hitting the ball more than you hit the court is probably the first bit of coaching I would offer you then...

I really don't know what to say to that one. It looks like you are just trying to be mean spirited and rude, and I really didn't get the impression that that was the way you were. You always seemed like a pretty cool guy to me.

I would have been as high as 5.5 6, and I only ever had 3 -6 racquets at any one time.. I think 3 is more than enough for anyone that doesn't call tennis their career..

The photo you posted with your 12 wilsons box beam frames, (PS orig, us and asian N and K 90s) isn't working, and neither is the one with the motherload of princes, but this one still does.

Another.. This time with the Power Beam Braided and the Puma Davis Cup..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/AusLexJapan/P1120105.jpg

J

VikingSamurai
08-27-2007, 03:39 PM
It was a tongue in cheek comment because of all the black tape on your frames.. Sorry if you took it the wrong way... I guess it sounded funny when I typed it, sorry you didnt feel that way.. My appologies..

Chris

ps: all of my collection bar a few frames has been sold off.. Decided they should go to people who could enjoy them, instead of sitting in a cupboard..

J011yroger
08-27-2007, 04:36 PM
It was a tongue in cheek comment because of all the black tape on your frames.. Sorry if you took it the wrong way... I guess it sounded funny when I typed it, sorry you didnt feel that way.. My appologies..

Chris

No worries, I use the finishing tape to hold the lead on, I had trouble with it falling off in the colder weather.

J

VikingSamurai
08-27-2007, 04:49 PM
No worries, I use the finishing tape to hold the lead on, I had trouble with it falling off in the colder weather.

J

After looking at it again, I can notice that it is holding something on, anyways, again, I am sorry if you thought i was being rude to you..

basil J
08-27-2007, 05:29 PM
I think your racquet count should be equal to how many days you play per week. I play 3-5 times per week, so I like to have 3 matching frames, freshly strung, especially If I am playing a lot of matches. If i was a serious competitive player, i would think at least 5 matching frames.

bbzz24
08-27-2007, 05:38 PM
All that great but what one really needs seem not to be spare eqiupment but better and better fitness and dedication to improving his/her game. Then one can play with one racquet only.

TheShaun
08-27-2007, 06:17 PM
I think your racquet count should be equal to how many days you play per week. I play 3-5 times per week, so I like to have 3 matching frames, freshly strung, especially If I am playing a lot of matches. If i was a serious competitive player, i would think at least 5 matching frames.

that's not a bad theory, depending on what type of playing you're doing. but it's a good starting point. i like it.

Sinner
08-27-2007, 07:10 PM
just out of curiosity, for those who have 2 or more of the same racquet... do you guys rotate your racquets each time you play or just use one until the strings break and then move on to the next racquet... I guess this would be assuming that each frame is strung with the same string and at the same tension...

kirbster123
08-27-2007, 08:20 PM
I agree, why would you need 14? Thats nuts.

If you go through 3-4 per day, you should keep about 6-7 racquets. The only reason I could see having 14, is if you don't string yourself.

I have 6 AG 300's, and its alot. I have 6 incase I travel to other places. I break about twice-3 times a week, and only carry 3-4 to games, and never had a problem.

J011yroger
08-28-2007, 02:09 AM
just out of curiosity, for those who have 2 or more of the same racquet... do you guys rotate your racquets each time you play or just use one until the strings break and then move on to the next racquet... I guess this would be assuming that each frame is strung with the same string and at the same tension...

Play one until it is done then move onto another. And I also keep track of how many times each racquet has been strung so they fatigue evenly.

J

Loco4Tennis
08-28-2007, 02:18 AM

yes, I rotate the usage, couple of reasons, 1 to wear out the strings at the same rate and 2 to wear out the overgrip at the same rate as well,

blitzmage_89
08-28-2007, 02:22 AM
well said , but I don't agree with the '1 racquet part'.

Racquets are expensive stuff. A working person might be able to buy that "extra" one but kids and students wouldnt have the money to cash in for another one. Nobody in my club brings two racquets for casual play because it's not needed. As long as you properly maintain stringing , it wont be a problem.

Pleepers
08-28-2007, 05:18 PM
well said , but I don't agree with the '1 racquet part'.

Racquets are expensive stuff. A working person might be able to buy that "extra" one but kids and students wouldnt have the money to cash in for another one. Nobody in my club brings two racquets for casual play because it's not needed. As long as you properly maintain stringing , it wont be a problem.

Yeah, but what happens when you brake a string in the middle of play? Now you're SOL, and believe me no serious player will want to change to a different racquet in the middle of a match. 2 racquets should be the bare minimum.

Bundey
10-08-2007, 12:01 PM
Ok, I have been pondering starting this thread for a while. And here is my opinion.

When reading, please bear in mind that this is MY OPINION, read with an open mind, agree or disagree, but please keep it respectful.

Also, I am talking about number of IDENTICAL racquets. Different models are for experimentation and fooling around and having fun only.

It should go without saying that this assumes that you can afford the racquets, feeding your children, and paying rent take priority over what some 25 year old punk on the tennis board says.

Firstly, there are several factors that go into this choice, and I will list them here.

Do you care about equipment? Do you work to become a better player? Do just go out and fool around and hit and giggle with your friends?

If you answered that you are in the least amount serious about tennis, then you should have at least two racquets. If you consider yourself a tennis player, of any level, even if you play once a month, even if you have never broken a string in your life, you should have two racquets. It is foolish to ever not have a backup. If you are willing to shrug and go home if you break a racquet/string, and leave your hitting partner standing there, then hey, have fun with your one racquet.

Are you competitive? Do you play in a league? Are you a tournament playing junior, playing to win a D1 Scholarship? Do you just hit around with the ladies on Sunday afternoon.

Depending on how important winning is to you, you will figure out how many racquets you want above and beyond what the maximum you would use in a worst case scenario. If you are a casual player, this number may be zero, if you are a tournament player, playing for your future, it may be four or more.

How many hours/matches do you get out of a string job?

Bames Jlake who crushes the ball on the pro tour needs more racquets than Professer "limp arms" Kuerten who has never broken a string in his miserable existance.

4. How much do you play?

How many hours/week do you play?

Combine this with item 3 to see how many racquets you go through in a week, or how many weeks a racquet lasts you.

How often do you visit the stringer? What is the turnaround time? Do you string for yourself? Can you do without while your racquets are being strung?

Figure out how many racquets you will be down/dropping off to be strung, and if it is a big deal not to be able to play in the down time.

Do you notice when strings get some wear on them? Do you think they play better when new? Do you play them till the break and not really notice much of a difference?

If you are sensitive, and you care a lot about winning (Item #2) you are going to want to play your matches with your racquets in the ideal zone, then use them up the rest of the way in practice or restring if money is not an issue, or you are that serious (Item #1). This is especially an issue if you use polyester strings.

If you do, then there will be that many more racquets that you will need, especially if your access to stringing is limited, and you cannot restring for each event.

Tournament players generally need more racquets to be prepared because they have the possibility of playing many important matches in a very short amount of time, with minimal time to restring. League and social play is more spaced out and leisurely.

9. If you are a tournament player, do you travel?

If you are a travel tournament player, you need more than a normal one, because you want to be self sufficient, and not at the mercy of a stringing service at the tournament, or local stringers who you are not familiar with.

Here are some examples.

Grady does not consider himself a tennis player, he bats the ball around for fun once or twice a month, he considers this excersise, he does not play games, and if he is unable to play or his racquet/string breaks he is more than happy to go home and watch the baseball game on TV. Grady needs one racquet

Lisa just started playing tennis last year. She loves the game, and wants to get better. She plays in a 2.5/3.0 league on Thurday nights, takes a lesson when she can, and practices when she can recruit some of her friends. All in all Lisa is on court 2-3 times per week. Lisa has never broken a string in her life, and restrings her racquet 2-3 times per year because her pro says it is a good idea. Lisa needs two racquets

Merv is a middle aged, in decent shape guy. He loves playing tennis, he plays competitively in his 3.5-4.0 league. Merv wants to win, and get to sectionals. He goes out and practices two days a week after work, takes the odd lesson, and hits with his wife or son on the weekends. Merv breaks his strings every month or so, and likes to keep a spare racquet two pounds looser for days when he needs a little more zip on his ball. Merv needs three racquets.

Hank used to play in college, now he is a 40 year old teaching pro. He doesn't break many strings anymore, but he can still get after it when he needs to. Hank mostly teaches, and hits around with his fellow instructors for fun. 3 or 4 times a year Hank enters a tournament, and is ranked pretty well in the 40s. Hank needs 4 Racquets.

Josh is a 14 year old. He plays USTA tournaments, and for his school team. Josh breaks strings weekly, and makes weekly trips to the stringer. He plays every day after school, and on the weekends. Josh takes weekly lessons, and really wants to improve, his goal is to play in college. Josh should have 4-6 racquets

Sarah is a 17 year old. She has been playing since the age of four, was scouted by colleges at the age of 12, played the next higher age group for as long as she could remember. She flys around the country playing USTA Nationals, and uses fresh strings for every match. Sarah needs 10-12 Racquets.

Carl is an animal, his friends call him Carl the Cannon. Carl is the kind of guy that draws a crowd wherever he goes. He is 18 years old, and going to play for Pepperdine next year. Carl uses full poly because it is the only thing that will last him more than an hour. When Carl gets done with practice there is a stack of racquets waiting to be restrung. When Carl goes deep into a national tournament it is not unusual for him to go through 16 stringjobs. Carl needs 16+ Racquets.

J
Great job. I'd consider myself Merv, except young. I don't have 3 racquets though.

757tennis
10-08-2007, 12:34 PM
he he he Bundey as Merv
im more like josh except i dont break strings easily, but i am 14 and i do want to play in college

the bad thing is my backup racquet is a ncode ntour 95
the good thing is i just got a brand new freshly strung KZen Team for 125 (which is a major discount considering TW sells it for 170) i got it strung with big banger ALU Power;)

Heipnotik
10-08-2007, 02:55 PM
I have 3 different 1s. Cuz if im having an off day with that racquet then i can switch to a different 1.

Kaptain Karl
10-09-2007, 06:19 AM
I have spare shoes and laces in my bag, does that make me a little obsessive?... Yup. (A little.)

I am a (15 y/old) junior that breaks strings about once a week, depending on how much court time is available.
... <snip> ...
I am very lucky I haven't had to retire due to lack of equipment.

I should have at least 3? Right?You should get a job so you can buy your 3rd with your own money.

Overall, I would say this has boosted my game from 1.5 to 2.0. I just bought 3 lbs of lead tape and can't wait to apply it. That should get my game up to 2.5... or maybe 3.0:!:Very clever, Davey. (Maybe you and Jolly can get a group rate for therapy...?)

- KK

Kaptain Karl
10-09-2007, 11:12 AM

4. How much do you play?

9. If you are a tournament player, do you travel?Many of your posts later <Edit> Actually it was this post (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=1320892&postcount=38) in another thread </Edit> I figured out what was bugging me about this guide. You should add ...

10. How is your temper?

a) If you don't EVER throw or "bounce" your racket and if you don't whack the net, ground or fence in frustration ... multiply Jolly's suggested totals by .4 and round UP. (If you are a "Grady" or a "Lisa" you still need only one racket.)

b) If you throw or "bounce" your racket less than once a month, or you are a net / ground / fence smacker ... multiply Jolly's totals by .6 and round UP.

c) If you throw or "bounce" your racket more than once a week, or you are a net / ground / fence smacker ... multiply Jolly's totals by .8 and round UP.

d) If you throw or "bounce" your racket more than once a hitting session, or you are a frequent net / ground / fence smacker ... Jolly's totals are probably accurate.

My point is, your guide seems to presume your own racket tossing / whacking habit is the norm. Mistreating your equipment (like you admit you do) contributes to a shortened lifespan of the stick(s). I stopped throwing, tossing or bouncing my rackets over 30 years ago. I was really struck by how much longer my frames lasted once I got my temper under control. (Duh!)

Here are some examples.

Carl is an animal, his friends call him Carl the Cannon. Carl is the kind of guy that draws a crowd wherever he goes. He is 18 years old, and going to play for Pepperdine next year. Carl uses full poly because it is the only thing that will last him more than an hour. When Carl gets done with practice there is a stack of racquets waiting to be restrung. When Carl goes deep into a national tournament it is not unusual for him to go through 16 stringjobs. Carl needs 16+ Racquets.Jolly, you choose to restring your frames as often as you do. Everyone doesn't need to do so at the rate you presume. (It's already been pointed out how stringing puts extra stress on rackets and shortens their lifespans.)

I would be in-between "Merv" and "Hank". I have two matched PK 7Gs and I'd honestly like to have one more. Since I don't -- and I know I break a string about every six weeks -- if I'm entering a tourney and I know one set of strings is "close" I'll restring just before the tourney.

In my 20+ years of competitive play two times I broke strings in two of my rackets in a single match. I just borrowed to finish....

The second time (last year) I actually broke three strings. I also broke the string in the first borrowed frame (!). Good thing I have more than one tennis friend, huh?

(PKs are not so common, but I know I can play pretty well with 6.1 95s, FXP Prestiges and O3 Tours, too. Last year I borrowed a 6.1 first ... then a LM Instinct. The Instinct wasn't fun, but I still won. I got one of my own frames restrung with an emergency call to a friend's trusted Stringer and I was ready for the next round....)

- KK

vandre
10-09-2007, 11:44 AM
what if you have commitment issues where racquets are concerned...

i have this friend (no me, but someone i know really well) who has the following racquets in his racquet bag:

2 yonex rds 003s
2 head flexpoint radical os
2 tw donnay pro one os
1 belgian donnay formula pro

at a tournament, my friend used his donnay formula pro against his first opponent, an allcourt spinmeister who liked to come to net. his strategy was to use pace and depth to keep his opponent deep and to attack his opponent's backhand. my friend picked this racquet because it allows him to put some pace on the ball and still keep it in.

at the same tournament, the same friend pulled out the yonex rds 003 against his 2nd opponent, a tall, big hitting baseliner with a killer forehand. my friends strategy was to run down alot of balls, mix up the spin, move him around and try to keep the ball low. my friend picked this racquet for this match because it imparts tons of spin to the ball.

now, using 2 totally different racquets in the same tournament isn't exactly smart, but then again my friend isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer either.

so the question is, is an intervention necessary??? :confused:

big_banger
10-09-2007, 11:50 AM
4 is best! with a nice big fat thermo bag!

Speedygonzalez
10-09-2007, 11:52 AM
How many rackets do I need? I use iprestige mp and probably need only three but I have eight! I guess I am nuts like many others on this board!

Kaptain Karl
10-09-2007, 12:22 PM
vandre - Does your "friend" have a TT signature very much like ... yours???

(You can get in on the group therapy rate with the other two ... for your "committment issue.")

- KK

vandre
10-09-2007, 12:47 PM
:mad: d'oh!:mad:

J011yroger
10-09-2007, 02:04 PM
My point is, your guide seems to presume your own racket tossing / whacking habit is the norm. Mistreating your equipment (like you admit you do) contributes to a shortened lifespan of the stick(s). I stopped throwing, tossing or bouncing my rackets over 30 years ago. I was really struck by how much longer my frames lasted once I got my temper under control. (Duh!)

I have broken 3 frames in 2+ years. I don't throw toss or bounce racquets regularly (I do not consider annual/semi annual pitching a regular occurance considering that I play almost every day). I do however play hard, and my racquets do get scuffed up/beat up from digging out shots, half volleys and so forth. Never once did I mention in the guide having more frames because of breaking them in anger.

Jolly, you choose to restring your frames as often as you do. Everyone doesn't need to do so at the rate you presume. (It's already been pointed out how stringing puts extra stress on rackets and shortens their lifespans.)

Firstly, lifespan doesn't enter into it. The number I am talking about is for your playing right now.

Obviously I choose to restring as often as I do. When I drop frames off to be strung, the strings are either broken, or just about ready to break, and playing so poorly I can't stand it. Yea, I am a big hitter, and I play a lot obviously I will wear out stuff (Frames and Strings) faster than most other players. But that is why the guide goes from 1-16+ with many steps along the way. You are making it sound like I am saying that everyone needs a zillion racquets.

As far as saying that everyone doesn't break strings as often as I presume, I really don't understand what you are saying. One of the first examples was a lady who has never broken a string in her life, and the last breaks in 1-2 hours. I pretty well believed that I covered everything in between.

I would be in-between "Merv" and "Hank". I have two matched PK 7Gs and I'd honestly like to have one more. Since I don't -- and I know I break a string about every six weeks -- if I'm entering a tourney and I know one set of strings is "close" I'll restring just before the tourney.

Dude...I just don't understand. Are you arguing with me or agreeing? Did I do or say something to make you mad or not like me? You said you are between merv and hank, which by the guide says you would need 3-4 racquets. Then you go on to say how you have 2 but would like 3, and tell about how you had to borrow a racquet, and broke the strings in the borrowed racquet, and had to borrow another, and have yours emergency restrung.

Not trying to be combative, I know you are a pretty cool guy and we agree on most things, but, I really just don't understand what you are drivin at here?

J

J011yroger
10-09-2007, 02:07 PM
what if you have commitment issues where racquets are concerned...

i have this friend (no me, but someone i know really well) who has the following racquets in his racquet bag:

2 yonex rds 003s
2 head flexpoint radical os
2 tw donnay pro one os
1 belgian donnay formula pro

at a tournament, my friend used his donnay formula pro against his first opponent, an allcourt spinmeister who liked to come to net. his strategy was to use pace and depth to keep his opponent deep and to attack his opponent's backhand. my friend picked this racquet because it allows him to put some pace on the ball and still keep it in.

at the same tournament, the same friend pulled out the yonex rds 003 against his 2nd opponent, a tall, big hitting baseliner with a killer forehand. my friends strategy was to run down alot of balls, mix up the spin, move him around and try to keep the ball low. my friend picked this racquet for this match because it imparts tons of spin to the ball.

now, using 2 totally different racquets in the same tournament isn't exactly smart, but then again my friend isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer either.

so the question is, is an intervention necessary??? :confused:

I have found the best time to give someone advice is when they ask for it. If your friend is playing and having fun, who are you to tell him to change. If he himself thinks he may be doing the wrong thing, and asks you. Nobody likes that guy who is always telling other people what to do or how to be better.

J

Kaptain Karl
10-09-2007, 04:04 PM
Are you arguing with me or agreeing?Both...! I really like how you framed your guide. I just think your "calculator" rounds up to a lot more frames than most players need.

You are not a "typical" player, from what I've seen of your posts. You seem as if you punish the ball a lot more than most (even competitive) players. Therefore, you need more frames than the typical player.

My post was merely attempting to ... temper ... your frame totals a bit.

I have broken 3 frames in 2+ years. I don't throw toss or bounce racquets regularly (I do not consider annual/semi annual pitching a regular occurance considering that I play almost every day).[Here, I'm debating your conclusion a bit.] On that other thread you said you smacked the crossbar on a fence to break one frame. (I admit I am "interpretting" here, but) it seems that players who whack the fence, net and ground "just happen" to break more frames than those of us who do not.

Tossing your racket isn't the only way to mistreat it .. especially when lots of players like to flirt with the extremes of tensions on these frames. (Looking at your notes, I concluded you are one of these players.) I've seen players smack the net in frustration (with pretty whimpy slaps of the net cord) and *snap*!!! They just broke another frame....

Never once did I mention in the guide having more frames because of breaking them in anger. Which is why I added a Question 10. I think it factors.

[Not that I'm calling you a hot head....]

Firstly, lifespan doesn't enter into it.[Debating you again....] I think it should.

You are making it sound like I am saying that everyone needs a zillion racquets.Whoa! Now you're exaggerating my position.

As posted above, I just think your formula kicks to the high side. (Which is why I factored your totals with my #10.)

As far as saying that everyone doesn't break strings as often as I presume, I really don't understand what you are saying. One of the first examples was a lady who has never broken a string in her life ...Yes. I saw that. And for her I think your recommendation of two rackets is one too many.

Dude...I just don't understand. Are you arguing with me or agreeing? Did I do or say something to make you mad or not like me?Not at all. Sorry if the "tone" of what I posted read differently than it typed. I'm merely offering a tempering of your totals for your guide.

Jolly, for the record, I am delighted you've joined us on TT. I think you bring a fresh and entertaining perspective to these boards. (Ask the users, TennisMastery, Bungalo Bill and Five-O ... they'll tell you that although I respect their views immensely, I still disagree with some of their posts from time to time.) Please don't let my ... crotchetiness ... disuade you from posting.

You said you are between merv and hank, which by the guide says you would need 3-4 racquets. Then you go on to say how you have 2 but would like 3, and tell about how you had to borrow a racquet, and broke the strings in the borrowed racquet, and had to borrow another, and have yours emergency restrung.All true. But I think you are overlooking the fact this was a once in 30+ year event. I'm 95% comfortable with my "Frame Total Risk." The missing 5% lies in that (missing) third stick....

Not trying to be combative, I know you are a pretty cool guy and we agree on most things, but, I really just don't understand what you are drivin at here?I *hope* I've answered this already. If not, I'll try and be more clear....

Jolly, you carry more rackets than anyone I've ever encountered. (Including some guys who played the Pro Tour in the '70s.) You also break strings and frames more than anyone I know.

Granted, I'm no longer in (the Tennis Hotbeds of) Alabama or NY but I did play scholarship tennis. (Socrates had a terrible backhand, but Methuselah and I had some pretty good matches!) One of my regular hitting partners was a Futures hotshot who realized his surgically repaired wrist probably wouldn't take the rigors of the Pro Tour and two other regular hits are former Div II players.

Oh! And another hitting partner is one of my former HS players who is on a Div II scholarship right now, playing tourneys constantly and practicing many hours. He carries four bats (and, frankly, he does wish he had two more).

Keep posting, Jolly. I'm enjoying your points of view.

- KK

J011yroger
10-09-2007, 04:16 PM
Both...! I really like how you framed your guide. I just think your "calculator" rounds up to a lot more frames than most players need.

Keep posting, Jolly. I'm enjoying your points of view.

- KK

Allright, We cool!

Tough to tell tone over the net, but I totally see where you are comming from.

J

LES
10-09-2007, 04:18 PM
Ok I'm a 'Merv' but I only have 2 racquets. What's the third one for? Do you string them at different tensions or something?

hrstrat57
10-09-2007, 06:09 PM
Great thread as of course is the companion thread running now at a tennis forum near you....

I had 3 racquets in my bag tonight for usta mixed double league match....2 i prestige mp's strung midrange with pro hurricane 17 full job and my austrian l5 i radical mp strung midrange with head intellitour 16....I did use them all by the way...

I was thinking recently....been playing head 18x20 frames now pretty steady for about 10 years......I have never broken a string in play. Never.....had natural gut frayed to the point of imminent breakage...a couple of strategically placed string savers got it through the day.

About 10 years ago I was playing the POG mid....I had 4 in my bag. One afternoon I was hitting with one of my semi regular partners at the time....no 1 singles player on local d 1 college squad.

I broke strings on all 4 frames in about a 20 minute time frame....

So....4 wasn't enuff with the POG....sure I hit harder then...but I still hit pretty hard...at least in spurts.

I can't imagine I would ever carry more than 4 of the head mp frames....unless I just liked the different pretty colors or unless I was playing 18 ga natural gut.

Professor Silvian Kuerton
10-09-2007, 08:43 PM
The man with two K's takes the words right out of my mouth like a word processor.

Kevo
10-12-2007, 11:20 AM
I liked the post and the thread. Very interesting discussion. I would just like to point out strings are very important in this equation. I tested a ton of strings before I settled on Kirschbaum Competition. Some of the strings I tested broke in a couple of hours. Many of the best feeling strings were only playable for 2 matches or practice sessions before they broke or became unplayable. If it weren't for the fact that I found a string like Competition, I would probably need 4-6 frames instead of two. I can play Competition for 2 weeks or 20-30 hours before it breaks or needs to be restrung. Using this string I can keep my racquet needs low and my stringing budget low as well. So if you are cost conscious consider investigating your string before stocking up on frames. Also having your own stringer helps a lot too.

mista-k
10-12-2007, 12:12 PM
ans OP

-4 is enough

today I had a match and 2 of them (strings) gave out on the corners- these were not even a week old freshly strung. good thing I had 4...its like having a security blanket / from bad stringjobs

heads
2 in austria
2 in czech rep

snoflewis
10-12-2007, 12:35 PM
the most i've ever needed was 3...only have 2 right now..looking to get another soon.

JackSkellington
10-13-2007, 12:31 PM
With access to a stringer, 6 is plenty. Not only have I played, but a bunch of my pals have played through college on 6 or fewer, with access to a stringer, of course :) If I ever see someone lugging 14 rackets to a court...don't be surprised if I laugh at you haha :p

davey
10-13-2007, 11:51 PM
Very clever, Davey. (Maybe you and Jolly can get a group rate for therapy...?)

- KK

I don't think Jolly could afford my therapy rates... lead tape ain't cheap.

By the way, i have applied the 3 lbs of tape to my k90, essentially turning it into a wide body. Volleys fly off it with surprising control though I have to hit them with two hands on both sides.

tbini87
10-18-2007, 12:14 PM
going to try to make it through this upcoming tennis season at my jc with only 2 identical frames. i am not a string breaker, string my own racquets, and won't be traveling very far, so i am hoping i can make it. if not i will buy a 3rd.

kaztennis
11-11-2007, 09:49 PM
Great read! Thanks for the write up!

firstservethenvolley
11-24-2007, 03:35 PM
This is my first time reading this thread and all i have to say is kudos to jollyroger for coming up with the racquet guide. I'm a younger merv , i guess. haha.

davey ,

3 pounds of lead tape ?????

Serve n' Volley
11-24-2007, 03:51 PM

J

I agree. If money was not at all an issue though, I would atleast be having 10+ racquets of the same kind all customized exactly the same. Right now, I am playing tournaments quite frequently and only have 2 racquets, however, I am definitely going to get a 3rd and maybe a 4th for Christmas + customizing tools. (Lead tape, balance board, etc.)

This should be stickied! :)

S n' V

J011yroger
11-24-2007, 04:06 PM
This should be stickied! :)

S n' V

I would at least like to get the title changed to "The J011yroger Guide to How Many Racquets You Need."

Wonder if the mods can do that.

J

NoBadMojo
11-24-2007, 05:31 PM
Isnt asking people how many racquets they should have kinda like asking people what time to go to bed and what time to awaken? ;)

Do people really need help determining how many racquets they need?

BMG
11-24-2007, 05:37 PM
Isnt asking people how many racquets they should have kinda like asking people what time to go to bed and what time to awaken? ;)

This post is too logical. Stop it!:)

NoBadMojo
11-24-2007, 05:43 PM
This post is too logical. Stop it!:)

lol...i think people just like to talk about their tennis game...harmless.

In)SpiRe
11-24-2007, 06:37 PM
Hey, just wondering Jolly, how much do you think I would need?

I'm 14, and play varsity tennis. I am very competitive and am trying to do my best to be the best in the class and to get a tennis scholarship. I'm a hard hitter(but not a big string breaker), and have just recently started playing in any tournament I can. How much do you think I should have?

JackSkellington
11-24-2007, 06:56 PM

I'm 14, and play varsity tennis. I am very competitive and am trying to do my best to be the best in the class and to get a tennis scholarship. I'm a hard hitter(but not a big string breaker), and have just recently started playing in any tournament I can. How much do you think I should have?

2-3, 3 being ideal. If you've got money, 4 would be more than enough. You're able to go to a local shop and get them restrung any day of the week, conveniently, right (or have your own stringer)?

In)SpiRe
11-24-2007, 07:45 PM
2-3, 3 being ideal. If you've got money, 4 would be more than enough. You're able to go to a local shop and get them restrung any day of the week, conveniently, right (or have your own stringer)?

Ye, prob just gunna stick with 3. But i dont know any local shops around here, nor any stringer(besides my coach, he strings all my racquets for me).
So if anyone living in or near Killeen, Texas, can you tell me where i can find some tennis shop?

BTW, thx for the comment Jack :].

dunno
11-24-2007, 08:40 PM
Man i was ****ed, i had a 18's tournament this week, and went to practice a couple ours before my first match and guess what there goes my prostaff it fractured and since i only had one i had to use one of my weighted prestiges and old strings. Luckily i got used to it a little bit and won my first match but didn't have enough control for my next match. I told my dad i needed another ps oh well..

lilxjohnyy
11-24-2007, 09:43 PM
hmmm... how about me? im 15 have two kfactor matched as close as i can make it. Have a ncode and ps original for fun and backup. play 2-5 times a week. At least two times though.have a good semi western forehand with quite a lot of topspin and one hand backhand. tennis season starts in may so i am preparing. i feel i need three because i break strings in around 1.5-3 weeks. i like to use a racket until strings breaks. by that time i need to change overgrip and head tape which is why i like that process.

J011yroger
11-25-2007, 03:28 AM

Come on dude!

You are a TP in Florida. (Not that state matters)

How many tournament playing juniors do you think get enough sleep. I know in NY they are up all hours of the night on the computer and show up to the courts in zombie like state, ESPECIALLY Saturday or Sunday morning.

How many tournament players eat properly to keep their blood sugar up throughout a match?

On topic, rarely a week goes by that I don't lend a racquet to someone.

Sometimes people need help with things that seem obvious to most.

If you are all set, or don't care to hear my opinion the just move along. Much the same way I pass by threads asking how to hit high backhands, or kickserves.

J

J011yroger
11-25-2007, 03:31 AM

Three sounds about right. When you start breaking strings regularly (Measuring in hours not weeks) and when you start traveling to tournaments or losing access to stringing then you can supplement as required.

You could probably get by with 2, 3 would be ideal, and anything over 3 would be gravy.

J

J011yroger
11-25-2007, 03:36 AM
hmmm... how about me? im 15 have two kfactor matched as close as i can make it. Have a ncode and ps original for fun and backup. play 2-5 times a week. At least two times though.have a good semi western forehand with quite a lot of topspin and one hand backhand. tennis season starts in may so i am preparing. i feel i need three because i break strings in around 1.5-3 weeks. i like to use a racket until strings breaks. by that time i need to change overgrip and head tape which is why i like that process.

2 would get you by, 3 would be ideal. If you start playing tournaments I would say 3 would be required. If instead of playing one till it breaks, and then switching to the next, you started alternating them so they would play evenly, then I would say 3 would be required and 4 would be nice.

J

J011yroger
11-25-2007, 03:40 AM
lol...i think people just like to talk about their tennis game...harmless.

Unrelatedly, I play a Mens open Semi at 12 noon today, If I win the final is at 2pm. Mind you this is on dirt.

Would I be out of line strangling the tournament director?

I said "Are you gonna default me if I am still playing by 2?" He laughed.

J

NoBadMojo
11-25-2007, 06:39 AM
Come on dude!

You are a TP in Florida. (Not that state matters)

How many tournament playing juniors do you think get enough sleep. I know in NY they are up all hours of the night on the computer and show up to the courts in zombie like state, ESPECIALLY Saturday or Sunday morning.

How many tournament players eat properly to keep their blood sugar up throughout a match?

On topic, rarely a week goes by that I don't lend a racquet to someone.

Sometimes people need help with things that seem obvious to most.

If you are all set, or don't care to hear my opinion the just move along. Much the same way I pass by threads asking how to hit high backhands, or kickserves.

J

huh? those are unrelated things. i will ask you which threads i am allowed to comment on from now on.

if people have never been jammed up with the number of racquets they presently own, they should just stick with that number provided they dont have more than they need. if they have more than they need because their ego dictates that, they may which to consider trying to figure out why their ego demands something like that. if they have been caught short, they should buy one more unless the circumstances were extremely anomalous IMO

Unrelatedly, I play a Mens open Semi at 12 noon today, If I win the final is at 2pm. Mind you this is on dirt.

Would I be out of line strangling the tournament director?

I said "Are you gonna default me if I am still playing by 2?" He laughed.

J

huh?

PBODY99
11-25-2007, 08:52 AM
Three is enough for me. I string my own frames, usually one before a league match, a pair if I'm playing a weekend tourney. However I do have two sets of frames, on for Hard court, the other for clay, just pack my bag accordingly.

Loco4Tennis
11-25-2007, 01:05 PM
dont be this guy, always have 1 more then you think you'll need :-)
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7eAk9uUXM8Q&feature=related

timokabo
11-25-2007, 02:46 PM
good subject to post about. i am working my way back into shape to play in more tournements/leagues next year. i am not looking forward to upgrade to new sticks becasue i will need at least 6.

drakulie
11-26-2007, 04:15 PM
Isnt asking people how many racquets they should have kinda like asking people what time to go to bed and what time to awaken? ;)Do people really need help determining how many racquets they need?

Someone who doesn't have experience, and may be playing in their first tourney might not think of taking at least two frames (in case 1 breaks). Of course, a good coach would prepare their student for this. If they don't have a good coach, they could ask on this forum.

dacrymn
11-26-2007, 04:40 PM
so..............would that make you a Carl, Roger?

kairosntx
01-28-2008, 01:26 AM
I guess you can count me as a merv. 40 something 4.0 player currently only playing in local leagues and on a USTA team. No tournaments for me so if I show up with 3 frames I should be good, no?

My frames are 25 yr old JK staff graphite 90 StV. I break strings about once every 2 years. Should I cut the strings out a restring if I like the feel of the racket?

J011yroger
01-28-2008, 03:27 AM
I guess you can count me as a merv. 40 something 4.0 player currently only playing in local leagues and on a USTA team. No tournaments for me so if I show up with 3 frames I should be good, no?

My frames are 25 yr old JK staff graphite 90 StV. I break strings about once every 2 years. Should I cut the strings out a restring if I like the feel of the racket?

You should be fine.

I would restring one frame, and see if it feels better to you than the other two.

Rule of thumb is if you are not a string breaker to restring as many times per year as you play per week.

J

kairosntx
01-28-2008, 03:43 AM
Thanks for the help J...

J011yroger
01-28-2008, 01:54 PM
No worries, lemme know how it works out for ya.

J

Alafter
01-28-2008, 05:00 PM
Someone who doesn't have experience, and may be playing in their first tourney might not think of taking at least two frames (in case 1 breaks). Of course, a good coach would prepare their student for this. If they don't have a good coach, they could ask on this forum.

This is not really about the topic of this thread specifically, but in general, is it really wise to listen to "internet coaches" who you don't really know who or what they are irl? There are many people I reserve my doubts when they claim they are coaches/teaching pros on this board, or even high level players for that matter.

Btw, I aint directing anyting at you. There's plenty of proof you posted in vids and pics and stuffs.

goosala
01-28-2008, 06:17 PM
I can get by with two but three is perfect for tournament play. I string my own so all three get done the night before a tournament.

J011yroger
01-28-2008, 06:30 PM
This is not really about the topic of this thread specifically, but in general, is it really wise to listen to "internet coaches" who you don't really know who or what they are irl? There are many people I reserve my doubts when they claim they are coaches/teaching pros on this board, or even high level players for that matter.

Btw, I aint directing anyting at you. There's plenty of proof you posted in vids and pics and stuffs.

The way I look at it is, people should read things from whomever with an open mind, good sound advice makes sense.

If you read something, and say to yourself, "Hey, that really sounds like a good idea, or like it would work." then you take that advice.

If you read something and it doesn't make sense, or sounds wrong, then either move on, or ask the poster for clarification.

If someone tells me to alter something within my stroke, or to change my equipment, and I don't see the use, the first thing I ask is "Why? What will it accomplish" And sometimes people provide a detailed and clear explanation, which shows that they are genuinely trying to help, and know what they are talking about. And sometimes they say, "Because your way sucks, or Just change it, or all the pros do it." or some other thing that shows that they are just parroting something they heard another person say, or something they read somewhere, and they really don't have a detailed understanding of what they are talking about.

And also you get to know how certain posters think, and their styles of play and tastes, so that you can relate to some moreso than others.

So, yea it is bad to listen to random people and take a strangers word for gospel. Just like I wouldn't yell out "I need investing advice!" in a crowded shopping mall, and some random dude shouted back "I am a gazillionaire and financial advisor and I say buy IBM".

J

Alafter
01-28-2008, 06:41 PM
Agreed. I cant rule out everything here as bad, but it does take a bit of work to glean out useful stuffs.

doonbugz
01-29-2008, 04:04 AM
just get sponsored even if ur not that good u cAN STILL GET SPONORSHIP DICOUNTS

Duzza
01-29-2008, 04:14 AM
I have 4 nSix Ones and 2 Pure Controls, selling Babolats though. Am a 4.5 18 year old playing tournaments and high level comp. How am I going by your standards? :D

bcast66
01-29-2008, 08:57 AM
i think this depends on string. i would need at least 6 racquet's for a match if i played with synthetic gut. but i play with a natural gut luxxilon hybrid i only need 3 racquet's i break 2 in a 1 hour match rarely. it takes me 20-30 minutes to string the racquet. keep in mind string pattern plays a huge difference as well 18x20 is harder to break which is why i switched to it, and i hit as hard as i want ball goes in. "unless i hit it out of the court and over the fence lol" i am a solid 4.0 player closer to 4.5. i have 6 racquet's in total 2xlm prestige, 2x flex point prestige, and now 2xmg prestige. all mid because i like small head sizes.

J011yroger
01-29-2008, 02:01 PM
I have 4 nSix Ones and 2 Pure Controls, selling Babolats though. Am a 4.5 18 year old playing tournaments and high level comp. How am I going by your standards? :D

You be the judge here are some of our old posts for your reference.

If you had to ask me, I would say that you had come around to my way of thinking.

So I'm Josh according to your system. I only need 2 racquets.

So on Saturday (2 days) I start my Junior Tournament campaign for March :D, but right now I've only got one strung RDX. The other one I broke last Sunday, it may be ready by Saturday but the big problem is that the one in my bag is still factory strung, and last hit I could literally feel the loss of control in every shot. On top of all that, school's out tomorrow so big night Friday is likely....why do I do these things.....

J

Hmm props for finding that old post, I'll shut up.

You can say it, it really doesn't hurt that badly, just repeat after me.

"Thank you Jolly, you were right."

J

fastdunn
01-29-2008, 02:14 PM
I have two. I only have one occasion in last 15 year when I broke two string jobs in one day (in fact within 2 hours).

bsandy
01-29-2008, 02:15 PM
I'm pretty happy with my 7

I'd better be. I think my GF will leave me if I buy another.

. . . Bud

dacrymn
01-29-2008, 03:39 PM
Personally, I don't think you need that many racquets--its almost ridiculous. Many people could make do with 2, some 4 if they're a heavy string breaker by means of racquet or thin-gauge gut or something. So while i do agree with your guidelines (except for 10+), I think it depends on more to make that decision.

Good idea though.

Ultra2HolyGrail
01-29-2008, 04:01 PM
Three should be plenty.

Ultra2HolyGrail
01-29-2008, 04:09 PM
Personally, I don't think you need that many racquets--its almost ridiculous. Many people could make do with 2, some 4 if they're a heavy string breaker by means of racquet or thin-gauge gut or something

Yes if you are a severe string breaker i might be able to buy the argument you need 6+.. But something should be done about that imo, poly string-TRYING not to break your strings.. Even in the pro's you dont see strings break all that often.

J011yroger
01-29-2008, 08:27 PM
Even in the pro's you dont see strings break all that often.

Because most pros change racquets every 9 games.

J

Ultra2HolyGrail
01-29-2008, 08:33 PM
Because most pros change racquets every 9 games.

J

Probably for tension reasons. Although i could see to eliminate breaking strings. How many non-pros do this? :)

J011yroger
01-29-2008, 08:37 PM
Probably for tension reasons. Although i could see to eliminate breaking strings. How many non-pros do this? :)

Because poly goes dead so fast.

In tournament play I change racquets every set, and then use them up the rest of the way in practice.

And I am no pro, that is for darn sure. Well technically I am a pro, but lets just say if I had to rely on playing tennis as a source of income to feed myself, Mac and cheese would be way above my budget constraints.

J

Ultra2HolyGrail
01-29-2008, 08:43 PM
Poly dont go dead fast imo, but the tension does.. I hate poly freshly strung but once it breaks in it plays well for a long long time for me.. But if i was a pro i would use gut mains/poly cross as that plays great right away but will only last a few sets.. For practical purposes= poly main/synthetic cross.

Duzza
01-30-2008, 05:03 AM
You be the judge here are some of our old posts for your reference.

If you had to ask me, I would say that you had come around to my way of thinking.

You can say it, it really doesn't hurt that badly, just repeat after me.

"Thank you Jolly, you were right."

J

lol damn you! Props for quoting old posts again. I don't have the time to find them.....I suppose you were right after all that.....but I will quote myself again...."big night" and this time I am legal!

dacrymn
01-30-2008, 12:47 PM
The problem is, Jo11y, that you assume everyone's like you or has your preferences. Some of us do not need to change strings every set, or, put in a harsher way, depend so much on our equipment psychologically.

But it IS natural to do so, so its not entirely your fault.

J011yroger
01-30-2008, 01:57 PM
The problem is, Jo11y, that you assume everyone's like you or has your preferences. Some of us do not need to change strings every set, or, put in a harsher way, depend so much on our equipment psychologically.

How can you say I assume that everyone's like me or has my preferences when I give nine detailed questions for each person to ask themself to find out exactly what they are like, and what their personal preferences are, and then give detailed breakdowns and examples for players who others can relate to who need 1, 2, 3, 4, 4-6, 12, and 16+ racquets?

If I assumed everyone was like me, the guide would be a lot shorter and require vastly less thought and effort on my part.

The title would read. "How many racquets you need" And the post would have a two digit number of my choosing followed by a carriage return the obligitory "10char" and my J signature.

It almost seems like you didn't even read the first post, which was the actual guide. Or maybe you read it a long time ago when this thread was created, and forgot some of the stuff I wrote.

When have I ever assumed, suggested, or implied that I thought someone else changed strings every set? When have I ever advised someone that it was a good idea for them? Have I ever given the impression that I thought all of the rest of you changed strings every set? If so it was entirely unintentional, and certainly quite far from the truth.

I also wear all black nike stuff, and I say that I do. That doesn't warrant a comment that I assume everyone else wears all black nike stuff, and maybe some of you are not so psycologically dependant on our clothes matching.

I am sorry, if I seem argumentitive, as that is not my mindset I am just confused about what prompted you to post what you did. I kind of feel right now the same way I would if a stranger came up to me and said "The problem with you is you don't tie your shoes" and I looked down and my shoes were tied.

J

J011yroger
01-30-2008, 02:00 PM
Poly dont go dead fast imo, but the tension does.. I hate poly freshly strung but once it breaks in it plays well for a long long time for me.. But if i was a pro i would use gut mains/poly cross as that plays great right away but will only last a few sets.. For practical purposes= poly main/synthetic cross.

Since I don't have the luxury of playing fresh off the machine bats, I let all of my racquets sit for at least three days after being strung before I play them, so that the initial tension loss gets out of the way. Then they can sit in my bag however long, and the tension doesn't really drop much/any more.

Then once I play them they are pretty much done anyway, so tension loss isn't a big issue for me.

If you are hating the change in feel from the freshly strung bat, to the tension lost one, maybe give it a shot.

Otherwise, just keep doin what your'e doin.

J

J011yroger
01-30-2008, 02:01 PM
lol damn you! Props for quoting old posts again. I don't have the time to find them.....I suppose you were right after all that.....but I will quote myself again...."big night" and this time I am legal!

You are quite welcome Duzza, don't mention it.

J

dacrymn
01-30-2008, 04:42 PM
How can you say I assume that everyone's like me or has my preferences when I give nine detailed questions for each person to ask themself to find out exactly what they are like, and what their personal preferences are, and then give detailed breakdowns and examples for players who others can relate to who need 1, 2, 3, 4, 4-6, 12, and 16+ racquets?

If I assumed everyone was like me, the guide would be a lot shorter and require vastly less thought and effort on my part.

The title would read. "How many racquets you need" And the post would have a two digit number of my choosing followed by a carriage return the obligitory "10char" and my J signature.

It almost seems like you didn't even read the first post, which was the actual guide. Or maybe you read it a long time ago when this thread was created, and forgot some of the stuff I wrote.

When have I ever assumed, suggested, or implied that I thought someone else changed strings every set? When have I ever advised someone that it was a good idea for them? Have I ever given the impression that I thought all of the rest of you changed strings every set? If so it was entirely unintentional, and certainly quite far from the truth.

I also wear all black nike stuff, and I say that I do. That doesn't warrant a comment that I assume everyone else wears all black nike stuff, and maybe some of you are not so psycologically dependant on our clothes matching.

I am sorry, if I seem argumentitive, as that is not my mindset I am just confused about what prompted you to post what you did. I kind of feel right now the same way I would if a stranger came up to me and said "The problem with you is you don't tie your shoes" and I looked down and my shoes were tied.

J

Fair enough.

I did, in fact, read your article, and that blind assumption wasn't exactly fair.

The first section, as you know, is where you present some questions you invite us to think about when we want to decide how many more racquets we want to buy. That part, in my opinion, does not pertain to my argument, because it doesn't actually have anything to do with how many rackets a certain type of player should have. Then, we move onto the examples.

Now, i'm not undermining your judgment--its just that i think you based your examples on your examples, not so much from fact. Granted, this is impossible, so again, this is not your fault. It is also pretty obvious that someone would be slightly biased towards their view, no matter how great their attempts are to remain objective. I start disagreeing with you after Grady. But, as i'm sure you'll point out, this is my opinion, as you are entitled to yours. Most people only NEED 1-2, but they might WANT more. Only when you get to the true tournament players do you see them owning 3 and above--and even then not nearly that far above. Think about it. How many people do you know that fit your descriptions, racquet quantities and all? If you do know alot of people like that, then i can see where you come from. "Sarah," especially, is a good example. You say "she uses fresh strings for every match." Ok, some people do do that, but most people don't. Generally, its safer to assume people are not incredibly (or even moderately) well-off--after all, the definition of "well-off" dictates that they're of a minority. Although not as radical, i see the direct relation between that comment and yourself, as you did say yourself that you use fresh strings per set ( or match. I forgot). If you want, i can scrounge it up for you.

I'm not trying to say you're wrong. Its just the way you seem to be vehemently defending yourself inclines me to clarify myself. No offense, but you do seem to be of the more defensive type. Do not worry. I am not against you.

dantespark33
01-30-2008, 05:28 PM
i have 22
but i only actually use 4
i teach people how to play and lend sticks out to those who forget them so thats what the others ar eused for

vndesu
01-30-2008, 05:34 PM
i have 22
but i only actually use 4
i teach people how to play and lend sticks out to those who forget them so thats what the others ar eused for

22 thats alot..
but ive seen bigger collections haha
i have about 8 or 9 rackets but i only use 4 :]
pure storm
pure storm tour +
pure control zylon 360
k90 :]

ChuDat
01-30-2008, 05:49 PM
just two for me

dantespark33
01-30-2008, 06:16 PM
22 thats alot..
but ive seen bigger collections haha
i have about 8 or 9 rackets but i only use 4 :]
pure storm
pure storm tour +
pure control zylon 360
k90 :]

goodwill and garage sales are your friend =D
plus the internet, but that's high range

Skybox006
01-30-2008, 07:05 PM
Jolly
I've got 3 of them that I keep constantly strung and rotated. The new sticks that I have are the (K) 4 105's and I try to keep them strung to the exact tension or lower/higher depending on where I am playing. This to me gives the best way to control my rackets and I will use all of them if necessary. It really depends on where and what kind of tournament I am playing.

J011yroger
01-30-2008, 07:24 PM
Think about it. How many people do you know that fit your descriptions, racquet quantities and all? If you do know alot of people like that, then i can see where you come from. "Sarah," especially, is a good example.

I would say that 80% of the national tourney playing juniors around here, or traveling tourney playing juniors have 6-12 frames.

Maybe because I live in a different part of the country than you, or am around the business end and see who buys what and who restrings how often?

I really don't know what your involvement with tournament players is, but if you know any national junior players or top sectional players, ask their parents how many bats they have or go through a year. Or if you are friendly with a local shopkeeper, ask them.

I would wager 12s player would have 4+ 14s, 6+, 16s 6-8+, and 18s 6-10+.

More for boys less for girls.

Talking about kids who spend 15+ hours per week on court.

Obviously tour players go through 50+ racquets a year depending on who it is, but that has zero to do with our discussion.

No worries if you thought I was getting ****y, I am not at all. I just thought it a little off, and it is good for someone to present a contrasting opinion, if it is well thought out like yours.

J

J011yroger
01-30-2008, 07:35 PM
"Sarah," especially, is a good example. You say "she uses fresh strings for every match." Ok, some people do do that, but most people don't. Generally, its safer to assume people are not incredibly (or even moderately) well-off--after all, the definition of "well-off" dictates that they're of a minority.

Now look at my definition for Sarah.

You would figure that for a player meeting that description, her annual tennis budget is around $30,000 per year. So it isn't really a question of well off or not. That is what it costs to create such a player, so if you have that type of player, that is the money you are spending. Hence all the fuss about the pros saying that the USTA needs to help with some of the costs of raising such players if they want the USA to be more prominent on tour.

I could see your disagreement if I said, Sarah is 17 years old, and she practices every day after school because she really wants to play on tour, or for a good college. But if you want to play D1 you had better get yourself into the top 75 in the country, and that costs money, and plenty of it.

J

J011yroger
01-30-2008, 07:38 PM
Now, i'm not undermining your judgment--its just that i think you based your examples on your examples, not so much from fact.

What I did was I created each category, of 1, 2, 3...16+ bats, and then thought of a sample player for each category.

J

Alexio92
02-17-2008, 03:22 PM
Your Opinion

Do you need....rackets ?
Play 3/4 time a week, can go to as low as 2 times or as high as 6 times depending.
That includes - 1/2 2 hour Squads, 2 friendly matches, 1 matchplay(Results count for lta rating), and maybe a tournument every few weeks over holiday's. This summer playing every week, tournument of which you will be playing 3/4 events in each. (B16,B18,B16D,B18D,MD).

J011yroger
02-17-2008, 06:10 PM
Your Opinion

Was that directed at me? Of course it is my opinion, I wrote the guide and explicitly stated that it was my opinion at the very beginning of it. :)

J

aceroberts13
02-17-2008, 06:42 PM
I am planning on finding a frame at some point and stocking up on them. I understand its not for everyone but its something you could have around for the rest of your playing days. I know the tennis coach at my high school played with yamaha secret 04's and he had like 15-20 of those things and he rotated them constantly to ensure that they didn't wear out. Of course thats an extreme example but I think that when you find your perfect frame you should def prepare for hard times. You never know when youll fall in love with that "secret" frame that won't still be around in 5 years when you want to buy two more because the two you use to play with have worn out. But it all goes back to personal preference, do what you want and let others do what they want.

Which reminds me jolly, you got any k90's that you are wanting to get rid of? Probably not, but I figured I'd ask.

J011yroger
02-17-2008, 06:54 PM
Which reminds me jolly, you got any k90's that you are wanting to get rid of? Probably not, but I figured I'd ask.

Nah, I am selling off/giving away my Ncodes.

Gonna buy another dozen or so K90s this year.

J

sargeinaz
02-17-2008, 07:22 PM

J

Well if you give one away, ship it my way to Scottsdale, I'll pay shipping. I wouldn't mind having a free 13+oz stick to mess around with I dont even care what condition it's in :).
________
Voyeur Online (http://www.****tube.com/categories/1159/online/videos/1)

Zhou
02-17-2008, 07:25 PM

J

How much for a n90?

dejavu
02-17-2008, 09:06 PM
three at most. unless you like to have different tensions for certain situations.

Alexio92
02-18-2008, 07:25 AM
Was that directed at me? Of course it is my opinion, I wrote the guide and explicitly stated that it was my opinion at the very beginning of it. :)

J
sorry i meant your opinion on how many you should have under that circumstance :confused:

J011yroger
02-18-2008, 01:34 PM
Im still not following ya buddy.

J

Zhou
02-18-2008, 05:55 PM
Hey J011y,
How much for you to ship one of your old n90s my way?

Josherer
02-20-2008, 01:40 AM
If your playing competition i believe you need at least two of the same rackets with identical specs. ie. same strings, same tension, same wieght.

J011yroger
02-20-2008, 03:19 AM
Hey J011y,
How much for you to ship one of your old n90s my way?

How much for a n90?

Not really interested in shipping, will just sell them locally or give them to friends.

J

dr325i
02-20-2008, 05:23 AM
I have two of the same sticks (KB Tour), strung with the same strings at 57 lbs. One is a back up, but I switch them every other day...
I try to play 10 hours/week -- 4-5 days. 4 days at least per week.
No time for leagues/tournaments, but I play with a group of people, 95% singles, once a month maybe doubles...if tired...
My strings (Gamma LW Professional) last about 3-4 weeks on average (I buy them in sets of 10 for <$100).
I play Serve & Volley style. 2hbh and Western grip FH (I don't like it but somehow cannot get rid of it:))

Richie Rich
02-20-2008, 06:12 AM
i used to have 8. now i have 3 racquets but i probably only need 2. i rarely break a string because my racquets are 18x20 and i don't play on clay and i restring quite often before the strings break.

Zhou
02-25-2008, 05:50 PM
I have 2 APDC but probably won't get a 3rd.
I just got a stringer so if I break strings, I can string my rackets up easily.
The only way I will get a 3rd is if I go through my strings really quickly and do not have the time to restring them.

VikingSamurai
02-25-2008, 06:04 PM
For most of the people on these boards. 2 is enough. 3 if you can afford it, but 4 is too many.. I only have three now. But thats because I am superstitious..

J011yroger
02-25-2008, 07:22 PM
^^^ Did you post your feelings on the MGPMP in a thread? If so can you throw me a link? Myself and two of my friends thought it felt great in the hand, and on dryswings, but that there was something funky with the weight distribution in it that made it swing strangely, and not hit the ball that it should.

J

Roberto
02-25-2008, 09:12 PM
i'd say Hank needs just 1 racquet if he plays with durable polyester strings. He's experienced, knows what he want's and how long the strings will last and as a pro has good access to stringing. I do not see why anyone would need more than 2 racquets. It irritates me to se these guys with big racqut-bags filled with loads of racquets and with a game that will never break a string.

AJTx0
02-25-2008, 09:12 PM
1 for me. Haha, that's all I can fit in the freaking 3 pack bag.

louis netman
02-25-2008, 09:59 PM
Seems like new frames come and go alot quicker as time progresses. Thankfully, we have this message board to get frames after they have been discontinued after such brief duration. If you really like a frame and plan on playing with it for awhile, rotating in three's works well for non-professional, competetive play...

VikingSamurai
02-25-2008, 10:04 PM
^^^ Did you post your feelings on the MGPMP in a thread? If so can you throw me a link? Myself and two of my friends thought it felt great in the hand, and on dryswings, but that there was something funky with the weight distribution in it that made it swing strangely, and not hit the ball that it should.

J

J011y go here http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=181837 . I havn't done a write up, but have been giving my feelings about this frame. I am in love with it, and the thread was a little slow to get moving, but people are starting to come out of the woodwork.. As for my frames, I did a custom job on the handle, so it added a little weight to the handle and the weight feels perfect for me now..

Josherer
02-25-2008, 11:00 PM
At least two of your main sticks

2ndserve642
02-26-2008, 04:15 PM
for me i only need 2 sticks and i play bout 4 times a week and 1 -2 tourneys a month i also break strings every 3 months and to me having 3 seems way to much

akoni
02-26-2008, 08:01 PM
at least two, ideally three especially if you don't string your own.

Steve1954
04-27-2008, 03:30 PM
Jo11y, I want to thank you for your post. I'm older, not particularly athletic and have no ambitions to be a tournament player. But I do enjoy the game and try to get a little better at it. I play doubles on Sunday mornings regularly and during the spring/summer play during the week as well. Strictly recreationally. Anyway, based on your guide, I went out and bought a second racquet, and began alternating the two. On Sundays we play indoors, and have to reserve a court for a set period of time. Turns out, just after the warmup as we began our set, my partner broke a string! He thought, what are we going to do now? I pulled out my spare racquet and loaned it to him, and we kept playing. He thought it was too powerful, but at least we got to play rather than go home. If not for your guide, we would have had to quit. So I just wanted to say thanks.

Steve

J011yroger
04-27-2008, 03:34 PM
Glad to be of service!

J