PDA

View Full Version : Racket frame vibration

xsuper
04-12-2007, 08:03 PM
hi, i am a user of the prostaff 6.0 and i love it. BUT the demanding qualities of this stick means occasional framers for me. When i frame at 12 o'clock, i feel a tremendous amount of racket vibration. This is slowly getting to my elbow now, especially when i play a game and get nervous. its there anyway to reduce the racket vibration?
Thanks

Voltron
04-12-2007, 08:04 PM
Not that I can think of, although perhaps you could inject silicon? into the handle.

xsuper
04-12-2007, 08:08 PM
i was thinking of changing the leather grip to a more shock absorbent grip, would that help?

Voltron
04-12-2007, 08:09 PM
I guess, although that would change the balance a bunch, and leather grips feel better in my opinion.

xsuper
04-12-2007, 08:11 PM
i like its feel too... would lead tape on the frame somewhere help reduce shock?

TalkingTennis91
04-12-2007, 08:19 PM
If you wanted to switch to a more shock-absorbing grip, i.e. synthetic, you could negate the balance problem by adding about 16g of lead along the handle, under the new synthetic grip.

Also try a vibration dampener.

xsuper
04-12-2007, 08:34 PM
i think i'll try changing grips and lead tape! thanks!

dylo
04-12-2007, 09:38 PM
i like the silicone injection idea but i think adding some weight to the spots u tend to frame (12 o clock and problably 3 and 9) and it will stretch the sweetspot to those areas, making it mor forgiving and powerful.

0d1n
04-12-2007, 11:23 PM
Frankly if you frame balls often enough for your elbow to be affected, I would suggest trying something with a larger sweet spot and/or lower swingweight (something more forgiving).
The synthetic grip might work also, but I doubt you would need 16 g of lead to keep the original balance, I don't think there's such a difference in weight between leather and synthetic. The heaviest leather I know is about 30 grams for the "untrimmed" piece (i. e. a loooong piece). A synthetic grip weighs over 15 grams generally and doesn't usually need trimming.
If you frame the ball near 12 I would NOT suggest you listen to people who advise lead in that area (to "move" the sweetspot) since that would significantly increase the swingweight/screw up the balance and probably cause you to hit even later which wouldn't be an improvement.
Just my 2 pence

s.sharm01
04-13-2007, 12:08 AM
i have a similar problem with my dunlop. don't happen that often, but earlier when i switched down from a bab pd+ ... i think since u have been using the 6.0 for a while, you might want to look into something with a bigger headsize...
if not..
injecting silicone, has been none (found out here), to reducing shocks...

xsuper
04-13-2007, 07:23 AM
i am looking for a bigger headsize racket right now, but still haven't found one that feels like the ps 85. Framing happens mostly in games ( i try to save every winner), normal rallying i'm fine.
What's a good synthetic grip?

lawrence
04-13-2007, 07:51 AM
what vib damp are you using? that might not help too much but try using powerpads as well as the vibe damp, so soften it up a bit more..
dont think the leather grip has too much impact. you using an overgrip?

sureshs
04-13-2007, 08:11 AM
Vibration dampeners dampen ONLY string vibration, not frame vibration.

ps60
04-13-2007, 11:49 PM
vibration not = shock

adding wt may help reduce shock, not vibration.
if u add wt to the tip in this case, u may feel even more vibration.
But i dun have a reliable solution for your case. U may need to strengthen your body for this racket, in order to reduce no. of framer.

davey
04-14-2007, 09:13 AM
On my ps 6.0 85s I added a layer of lead tape under the bumper and replaced the butt cap with some more lead tape and shrink wrap. I don't hit off the upper hoop too often but I definitely feel the difference with the changes that I have made. It also feels both more powerful and more controlable.

If you don't want to modify your racket too much then I suggest trying the k-six-one tour 90. It's much more arm friendly than the ps 6.0 or nCode 6.1