PDA

View Full Version : Gaming the cheaters

Camilio Pascual
09-14-2004, 06:51 AM
The gamesmanship or cheaters thread brings a thought to mind. Get a copy of the rules and The Code and have it in your bag. When questionable things are done, stop play and talk to your opponent. Pull out your rule book (cheaters HATE this) and point out the appropriate rule. The nastier or more impatient they are, the longer it will take you to find the rule and drone it out to them for "their benefit." If they do not want to stop to make a fair determination of events by using the rule book, it becomes manifest that they are not interested in fair play and the rules. Then, instead of quitting in frustration as so many do (cheaters count on this) and letting them claim you defaulted, do something else. Disqualify them if they refuse to co-operate with using the rule book if there is no official to call upon. If you are in a league or tourny, notify the powers-that-be that your opponent refused to follow the rules. I have driven some cheaters up the wall by doing this.

bleach
09-14-2004, 07:17 AM
I agree with this, in fact I would recommend getting a copy of "A Friend at Court" from the USTA and keep it in your bag. It contains the rules and the code.

I just ordered, yesterday, a updated copy (mine was really old). I got 2-3 extras to give others as well. They only cost $5.

doubletrouble
09-14-2004, 09:59 AM
Good suggestions. I had a guy that loved to quick serve you. It got so bad one time - I had turned around to pick up his first serve that had rolled behind me and he hit me in back with his second serve. And he wanted the point! Next time we played I brought that section of the rules out and read it out loud to him. That "cured" him of that.

goober
09-14-2004, 06:45 PM
Does this kind of thing really go on alot in adult league matches? I am starting my first league match this week in singles and the main reason I have been avoiding competitive play outside my group of friends and family is mostly because bad memories of high school tennis where I faced all kinds of cheaters, gamers and tantrum throwers.

Camilio Pascual
09-15-2004, 03:32 AM
It doesn't go on very much at all in the 3.5 - 4.0 leagues I've played in. There are several long term players in 2 leagues I've been in that act as "enforcers." These guys have known each other for years. They were shunning a player when I joined a 3.5 league, I was told about it before my first match. I think part of the message was what would happen to me if I cheated. The cheater guy lasted a few more months and then disappeared.
The big cheaters I've run into are lower ranked (2.5 - 3.5) players in doubles. Usually it is 50-60 year old women or a boy friend who is playing with his girl friend. I was "randomly" assigned to a 60+ society matron (gets her pic in the papers) who was a horrible cheat. I overruled her sometimes, sabotaged us at other times, and apologized to other players. Then I got "sick" and she got another partner.

bleach
09-15-2004, 05:36 AM
In the leagues I play, I don't see cheaters as much as folks that are ignorant of the rules. Most will change their actions if they know it's wrong!

Of course there's always the "wrong" or "bad" call, but in the cases I've seen, it was not on purpose. I have had guys stomp their feet as I toss my serve, wave arms and racket as I'm hitting an overhead. But it's so rare that I don't even worry about it and it's so pathetic that it's funny!

badmice2
09-28-2004, 02:17 PM
3 strike rules....they get 2 "warning" from me about their bad calls...if and when the third one comes, get the ref and have tournament staff montior your match. Is the best way to get them ****ed off.