PDA

View Full Version : Do-it-yourself paintjobs

Luctator
04-13-2007, 06:04 AM
Well my racquets have taken quite a toll, so I've decided I'll repaint them :D But I'll test-paint on some old racquets first, but I'll need some advice...

Has anyone here ever done so with success? Here's the procedures if I've understood well:

1) Remove bumpers and grommets
2) Sand everything off
3) Apply 3 layers of primer letting dry for at least 12 hours each time
4) Apply paint

But what type of paint should I use? And how do I apply it? Just out of a spray can?

nyc
04-13-2007, 08:04 AM
Most durable results will be with Automotive paint and clear coat on top.
Maybe you have a local body shop where you can convince one of the guys to do it. You'll need a ventilated paint booth, high quality spray gun, carbon filter mask.

Rattle can paint will not be durable at all.

Don't forget to wet sand the primer layers for an ultra smooth finish.

It's not as easy as one might think...
I also remember there was a post where one guy tried to emulate the KFactor design on his wife's old Wilson racquet, but in a differrent color range...lots of masking, painting, sanding....

nyc
04-13-2007, 08:11 AM
more in-depth info in the sticky on this board:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=84719

anirut
04-13-2007, 09:14 AM
Chris-in-Japan did it with his airbrush. He should be able to provide great info on this.

Luctator
04-15-2007, 10:51 AM
Just one thing I do not understand: how do I apply the paint? Only with an airbrush?

anirut
04-15-2007, 07:19 PM
You can also use can spray paint. They're also lasting, as long as you do it properly. Airbrush will be great for fine details, and you can mix the paint to the color of your liking.