PDA

View Full Version : New racquet for Tennis elbow...

Simba007
04-13-2007, 06:10 AM
Dear all...

I have suffer from T.E. for a few years. After injection, physcal therapy and lots of rest (not be able to play for 2+ years!), I went through surgey lat fall.
Now I am trying to be back in tennis (or I rather be dead). My top priority is not to get injuried again.
I am ordered a Coopersave Lastrap (supposed to be the best for protection, anyone here have experience with it?). Now I am trying to find a new racquet.
I found it's pretty tricky with all the infomation around me. Please help me with this:

1). Heavy vs. light: I am told now the technology is so great a lighter (<10
oz.) can be arm friendly.
2). Stiffness: I heard the softer the better. Is it true? How softer should it
be before it'a too much? (<70 ?)
3). String: I am using Technifira NRG 16. Is it good?
4). Grip: Some say bigger is better? Some say smaller is better. Which is
right?
5). Oversize is better?
5). Any recommendations? I am currently using Prince TT hornet oversize.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Voltron
04-13-2007, 06:13 AM
You want a heavy racquet with a stiffness rating of about 60 or less. I suggest the ProKennex Type C Redondo MP.

witit
04-13-2007, 06:46 AM
Dear all...

I have suffer from T.E. for a few years. After injection, physcal therapy and lots of rest (not be able to play for 2+ years!), I went through surgey lat fall.
Now I am trying to be back in tennis (or I rather be dead). My top priority is not to get injuried again.
I am ordered a Coopersave Lastrap (supposed to be the best for protection, anyone here have experience with it?). Now I am trying to find a new racquet.
I found it's pretty tricky with all the infomation around me. Please help me with this:

right?
5). Oversize is better?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Welcome back to tennis! I've never had problem with TE. Perhaps I can chime in a bit.

1) Heavier is usually better if you can handle the weight. The more mass the racquet has, the less shock to your arm. I personally prefer anything 12 oz. or higher. But 10-11 oz. should be fine also. Don't go too light.

2) All my racquets have stiffness less than 63. Yeah, the softer, the better.

3) I've never played with the Technifira NRG 16. But any soft-multi should do. Don't string it too high (stay below 60 lbs) though. Avoid poly.

4) You have to find the right grip size. Bigger nor smaller is good. It should be at the right size. Check this TW guide, http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/Gripsize/Gripsize.html.

5) I tend to stay away from oversize racquet. To me it helps the player too much so that he/she won't develop a proper stroke. Which can lead to TE. Oversize racquet is usually lighter also. So that goes back to 1).

I highly recommend Volkls. They make great racquets which are good for arm. The 9 and 10 series are probably what you want to try. The DNX 9 or Tour 9 V-Engine are around 11 oz. The 10 series are normally heavier (>12 oz.) I personally love the 10 series. ProKennex and Yonex also make good-on-arm racquets.

Check them out!

grass_hopper
04-13-2007, 06:57 AM
if you like over size racquet then you should try Prince speed port red.
stiffness is about 65 which is firm. flex racquet is best for TE but you have to swing harder on all shots to generate power. HEad has a specific racquet for TE that came out 2 years ago and is highly recommanded, it had a chip in it to stop the vib going to elbow that works. smaller grip than your hand also causes TE. softer string and lower tension also help TE.

ps60
04-13-2007, 08:01 AM
U are really a big fighter !

i've had TE since 6 yrs ago playing with a Ti-Radical MP, with spec. like these:
Flex 60-62.
size 98"
un-strung wt: 10.5 oz, 295g.
pattern: 18x20 ...
thin beam: 20-21 mm.

With all these spec., i am not saying it is a good elbow friendly one. (i think it's not) :grin:
IMO, i think:
(too) small size may not be good
(too) flexy may not be good !
Thin beam is NO good.
Dense pattern could be too stiff string bed.
Too light cause too much shock upon impact, too heavy can pull your arm (forearm muscle/tendon) when u swing really fast. Both no good.

2 particular models i 'd like to comment:
1. yr current one, if it is a 2001 big red/black TT Hornet OS, it is an arm friendly racket already. if it is the 2002 pink colour one, it is not the same story.

2. the most arm friendly racket i've tried
PK5G ! i bought it after having TE.
16x19, 100 sq. inches, 65-66 stiffness (not too flex and not too stiff), 22mm beam, around 310g unstrung. and most importantly, some shock absorber built-in which WORKS.
it also doesn't have much vibration, maybe due to the stiffness.

BTW, i use a thicker Wilson Replacement grip (for vibration/shock damping), add 3-5 g lead near the tip (because it is too head light, maybe caused by the thicker Grip), and
a babolat damper (silicone attached to the base of mains strings and with a tiny metal rod at the centre absorbing the vibration)
best strung around 55-56lb. (multi or good SG)
of course, if u can affortd Gut, ... go for it.

I remember once i served with it, i didn't feel ANYTHING (shock/discomfort) and i said to myself, "maybe this is it !"

So, why am i using some other rackets ? (mainly the Tour 10 Mid) Just because the 5G isn't very durable. it broke. But if u have $$$ to protect what is much more important (your arm and body), buy some before it can't be found anywhere.

About the form, i guess if (by finding a suitable racket that allows) U to swing slower, more steady, more relaxed... Would be GREAT to your elbow.

tell u the truth, my TE is still aching and i Miss my PK5G

anirut
04-13-2007, 08:23 AM
OK, if the PK 5G (or the kinetic/ionic series) is rather fragile ...

Try the Core 1 #6 - if you can find them. Nice and comfy, like the Redondo, but easier to play (and on the arm) with the open pattern, esp if you string with a decent multi below 60. (Tried at 58 once and it felt really good).

Right now I have full synthetic at 60 lbs on my Core #6 and it's still very, very comfortable.

Simba007
04-13-2007, 08:34 AM
ps60...

Thanks a lot for the very informative response.
One quick question: Is the PK Ki-5 the same as the PK 5g? (the spec. look the same).
Thanks in advance.

Simba

sureshs
04-13-2007, 08:49 AM
I would say string tension will be one of the most important factors. Start low (manufacturer's mid range minus 4 lbs) and only increase it if you must. 60 as someone recommended here is too much, IMO. In fact, start with 52 if you get a stick 100 si or less, and 55 if you get an oversize. All racquets have some form of vibration and shock - whether it is a heavy players racquet with small head when you don't hit the sweetspot, or a light oversize stick with all the fancy comfort technologies in the world. On top of that, there is an effect depending on how the racquet matches your arm in terms of frequency and so on which is unique to you.

String tension is your first and most important line of defense.

fgs
04-13-2007, 02:40 PM
simba007,
try to demo some racquets. i would suggest besides others the nblade 98 strung with wilson nxt tour or another soft multi (like you are using already - good string), strung at max. 55lbs.

BounceHitBounceHit
04-13-2007, 07:25 PM
The basic formula is:

Heavy(ier)
Flexible
Head-light
Right sized grip
Soft string (natural gut is best)
Low tension
MP head size

The Volkl V1 Classic is probably the frame that is easiest on the arm while maintaining excellent playability for a wide variety of folks. The Volkl C10 Pro is another.

Hope this helps, ;)

CC

ps60
04-13-2007, 09:25 PM
ps60...
One quick question: Is the PK Ki-5 the same as the PK 5g? (the spec. look the same).

Simba,

i've got no chance to try the Ki-5, 'cause in our city there is no PK KI-5. We have sth like PK KS-C5. i know it is very similar, (with an ugly cosmetic, all mirror like silver paint) but haven't tried one. However, a lady using one of them has hit balls with so much topspin that broke my PSGD string pre-maturely.

Back to KI-5, looking at the spec, it is almost identical. But some testers in TW said it feels stiffer. Too stiff may not be good, but if it stays around 55/56, maybe it's fine. Afterall, i don't think 5G is soft either, and i believe that its friendliness is due to the Kinetic design, not because it is very flexible.

And the 5G needs some tuning too. it was not very comfortable at first (strung at 60lb with PSGD 17). The original grip is too thin and not comfy. I change to a Wilson FAT grip (not sold anymore), the current Wilson microxxx MAX is similar in comfort. or the Wilson Comfort grip should be fine. By doing that, i actually add some wt (maybe 5-7g) to the handle. and the power level was too low. So i tried some lead along the hoop. and finally decided that about 4g in total at 10/2, 0.5 g at 12 would increase stability for volleys and provide good power at baseline. I also used the heavy (about 7 g) but very effective Babolat damper and it is important on 5G. I've tried a rubber band and it didn't feel as good.

After all these changes, my 5G was still very HL, about 30.8 cm BP (strung), which is almost more HL than any current models at stock form. It was about 345 g (depends on the string and tension). And that's the time when i wonder if it was my Dream racket. The string i used was Gamma TNT 17. (TNT2 is totally different and very disappointing)

All these tuning resulted in a more polarised (good for the wrist and elbow), heavier, still very HL and very stable 5G, with its Kinetic system. A very comfortable racket.

At stock form, it is very arm friendly, but not a very good "performance-wise" racket.

BTW, don't strung above 55-56lb (as per a constant pull machine like the Babolat) on them, the mains is too Stiff at 57lb or above and don't feel comfortable at all.

stormholloway
04-13-2007, 09:27 PM
The answer is the Fischer M Speed Pro Number One.

Hands down.

ps60
04-13-2007, 09:39 PM
BTW, i guess string tension or string type itself don't help the elbow much. It may change 80% of the feel but not helping the arm, if the racket is not right.

SocalTennis
04-13-2007, 10:54 PM
Dear all...

right?
5). Oversize is better?

Thanks a lot in advance.

I had a pretty bad case of TE for a year and doesn't seem to go away, then I switched to the POG OS and it goes away in 1 month. Now, I play with the POG mid and my TE never came back. If you don't use a POG, at least get something heavier (11.5+ oz) than the Hornet with a 16x18 string pattern.

ps60
04-13-2007, 11:18 PM
The POG OS was the best elbow friend but ...

beware, the new batch is totally different in spec.
and how good the new ones are is in doubt.

find the old very head light one if u want to try that.

Roger_Federer.
04-14-2007, 08:38 AM
Get a light racquet that doesn't take too much arm power to manuver

lethalfang
04-14-2007, 12:53 PM
The POG OS was the best elbow friend but ...

beware, the new batch is totally different in spec.
and how good the new ones are is in doubt.

find the old very head light one if u want to try that.

The new POG OS is still very arm-friendly.

HappyLefty
04-14-2007, 06:59 PM
The basic formula is:

The Volkl V1 Classic is probably the frame that is easiest on the arm while maintaining excellent playability for a wide variety of folks.

CC

I agree.
I own a DNX V1 and my elbow issue was solved.
V1 Classic is also one of the best in term of arm-friendly.

ClimbK2
04-14-2007, 08:02 PM
The basic formula is:

Heavy(ier)
Flexible
Head-light
Right sized grip
Low tension
MP head size

CC

Good points here by Craig. The heavier racquet should be head-light to maintain a managable swing weight.
You'll also find lots of material on the web & on this web site on the topic. Poor technique, particularly with 1H backhands, and continuously gripping the racquet too hard are two other risk factors.

kenyee
04-15-2007, 12:07 PM
However, a lady using one of them has hit balls with so much topspin that broke my PSGD string pre-maturely.

Are you sure this was a PK5G/Ki5? They don't do spin very well because of the tight string pattern :-(
I also swear by the PK5G. I'm one of the people who wrote that the Ki5 is stiffer. Hope PK starts making the 5G again; Yonex's RDX500 midplus supposedly also feels like the 5G, but Yonex discontinued it for the RDS001 which is stiffer :-P

Marius_Hancu
04-15-2007, 12:22 PM
FWIW
check my posting here:

Best arm friendly racquets?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=58089

ps60
04-16-2007, 08:56 AM
Are you sure this was a PK5G/Ki5? They don't do spin very well because of the tight string pattern :-(

That wasn't a KI-5, nor a 5G. it was the succession (replacemnt) model of 5G here. we don't have the KI-5. They have the same 16x20 pattern, but i don't think spin is a problem for the 5G. ( i had some lead on the upper hoop)

kenyee
04-16-2007, 09:28 AM
Interesting...I couldn't find anything on the KS-C5 via Google except this thread :-(
No problems w/ slice on my 5G, but I've always had problems w/ topspin :-P

onkystomper
04-16-2007, 01:56 PM
The answer is the Fischer M Speed Pro Number One.

Hands down.

THat is exactly the right advice. Super comy and flexi. Really nice racket too. i never felt my tennis elbow when i started using this racquet

Simba007
04-16-2007, 05:56 PM
Dear Sir...

Thanks for your recommendatios. They are very helpful.

by the way, what's POG OS" inyour post?

Thanks.

ps60
04-18-2007, 09:21 PM
POG OS is Prince Original Graphite, Oversize.

it has different verions over the yrs. and the spec change a lot over time. But it is heavy all the time. Used to be very headlight (good for elbow) but less now.

ps60
04-18-2007, 09:29 PM
Interesting...I couldn't find anything on the KS-C5 via Google except this thread :-(
No problems w/ slice on my 5G, but I've always had problems w/ topspin :-P

try this
http://www.************************/racquets/prokennex/index.htm

or alike

http://www.************************/store/racquets/pro-kennex/c5-kinetic-large.html

its dimension is just like 5G, i 've put them side by side at a pro shop. it feels stiffer (without string), which could mean diff. wt distribution or really material-wise.

ps60
04-18-2007, 09:32 PM
hey what happened up there ???

some kind of censor ??

it was an austrilian web site, i really wonder if it has anything to do with tennis warehouse here.
but it has the racket i talked about

Prokennex Kinetic Sling C5, ugly one, but very similar to 5G. it could be identical to Ki-5 i guess.

Simba007
04-29-2007, 05:23 AM
First of all, I would like to thank all you for replying my question. They are all very very helpful.

Now my search is narrowed down to Volkl tour 10 genII or Classic V1.

I demoed Tour 10 MP Gen II, and bought one from local store. I would like to compare it with the classic V1.

I am not able to find classic V1 locally.

Should I keep the Tour 10 or buy classic V1 from online (take the risk?)

Classic V1 sounds even better to arm (claimed by Volkl and others players here). But it's lot more expensive, and I won't be able to demo it.

The new Tour 10 MP costed me only $90.

Thanks in advance.

ps60
04-29-2007, 06:09 AM
seems that u 've not tried the T10G2 enough, and tell yourself if it is good for your arm. I myself sold it after it gave me some shock at the inner elbow during serving. Luckily the T10 Mid i am using don't have that problem at all, except a little under powered.

VI series could be little head heavy (2 pt), quite light 290g. (but i haven't tried anything like the classic VI). According to the spec, it is not very elbow friendly. But my brief demo of QVI and DNX VI are quite easy hitting, powerful rackets.

Simba007
04-29-2007, 07:44 AM
VI series could be little head heavy (2 pt), quite light 290g. (but i haven't tried anything like the classic VI). According to the spec, it is not very elbow friendly. But my brief demo of QVI and DNX VI are quite easy hitting, powerful rackets.

Thanks PS60.

Are you saying the DNX V1 is arm friendly? I am very interested in this as well. It's specs are similar to Classic V1.

I am afraid that the classic v1 and dnx v1 are little too light and even balanced and stiff. Can a racquet be both arm friendly and stiff (I posted that question earlier)?

Problem is all my local dealers are discontinued with Volkl (siting Volkl is pulling out of US market) and I can't demo the Classic V1 and DNX V1.

Thanks a lot.

kenyee
04-29-2007, 05:22 PM
Prokennex Kinetic Sling C5, ugly one, but very similar to 5G. it could be identical to Ki-5 i guess.

Thanks. I put that name into Google and found it. Wow. Bling Bling chrome. I'm glad they didn't choose to bring that paint scheme here ;-)

acer
05-16-2007, 08:04 PM
[quote=ps60;1376037]BTW, i use a thicker Wilson Replacement grip (for vibration/shock damping), add 3-5 g lead near the tip (because it is too head light, maybe caused by the thicker Grip), and
a babolat damper (silicone attached to the base of mains strings and with a tiny metal rod at the centre absorbing the vibration)
this is it !"quote]

ps60, I was curious about that Bobolat vibration dampener. Can I ask what is the exact name of that particular dampener and can you find it on TW? Does it have silicone and that rod in it or is that something you came up with. Let me know.

Thanks

Acer

kaztennis
05-28-2007, 02:20 AM
The basic formula is:

Heavy(ier)
Flexible
Head-light
Right sized grip
Low tension
MP head size

The Volkl V1 Classic is probably the frame that is easiest on the arm while maintaining excellent playability for a wide variety of folks. The Volkl C10 Pro is another.

Hope this helps, ;)

CC
I agree as I also experienced the pain.
Head Flexpoint Radical Tour and Wilson nBlade feel very comfortable for me.

whoster69
05-28-2007, 06:21 AM
I am ordered a Coopersave Lastrap (supposed to be the best for protection, anyone here have experience with it?).

What is a Coopersave Lastrap? I tried looking it up on Google, but only found this thread. Is it misspelled?

Thanks.

lcw
05-28-2007, 06:36 AM
Thanks PS60.

Are you saying the DNX V1 is arm friendly? I am very interested in this as well. It's specs are similar to Classic V1.

I am afraid that the classic v1 and dnx v1 are little too light and even balanced and stiff. Can a racquet be both arm friendly and stiff (I posted that question earlier)?

Problem is all my local dealers are discontinued with Volkl (siting Volkl is pulling out of US market) and I can't demo the Classic V1 and DNX V1.

Thanks a lot.

Both DNX v1 and Classic V1 are arm friendly. Many people switch to these racquets to avoid arm problems. Don't be fooled by the weight on the classic v1 it can produce just about any shot in the book and with great comfort to boot. The classic v1 will go in history as one of the best racquets ever built.
lcw

SHUNGO
05-28-2007, 08:15 AM
There is one web page you should visit, there you can find very important tips about the best racquets to use in order to avoid TE or wrist pain.

The # 1 is the POG OS, I have played with it and is very good, also I can sincerely recomend the Pure Storm from Babolat.

The web page is www.racquetresearch.com I hope it helps you, the resume is that head light racquets over 11.5 oz. plus correct grip size, plus soft strings, should keep you away from TE.

acer
05-28-2007, 08:40 AM
What is a Coopersave Lastrap? I tried looking it up on Google, but only found this thread. Is it misspelled?

Thanks.

whoster69, it's called the Coopercare Lastrap tennis elbow brace. The brace has a plastic pad inside which is filled with the sand. The plastic pad is attached inside with velcro so you can remove it for cleaning. The sand is supposed to help eliminate vibrations. I bought one and I am not sure if it helped my tennis elbow much but you may want to give it a try.

Here is the link.

http://www.coopercare.ca/

Acer

acer
05-28-2007, 08:45 AM
[quote=ps60;1376037]BTW, i use a thicker Wilson Replacement grip (for vibration/shock damping), add 3-5 g lead near the tip (because it is too head light, maybe caused by the thicker Grip), and
this is it !"quote]

ps60, I didn't get a reply so I thought I would post this again.

I was curious about that Bobolat vibration dampener. Can I ask what is the exact name of that particular dampener and can you find it on TW? Does it have silicone and that rod in it or is that something you came up with. Let me know.

Thanks

Acer

dylo
05-28-2007, 09:28 AM
Dear all...

right?
5). Oversize is better?

Thanks a lot in advance.

u want to choose a heavy racquet with a stiffness of 60 or less like voltron said.
nrg 16 is a really good string and very soft
pick the grip that is just the right size
pick the largest headsize u can

Simba007
05-29-2007, 09:58 AM
With the help from all the responses on this board, and careful consideration, I have finally settle with Volkl Tour 10 MP Generation II. It's has a swing weight of 315g, stiffness of 61. On it, I have Tecnifibra NGR 16.

The whole thing feels really good. My shots are very solid and most importatntly, I am able to play again without much pain. I played 2 sets yesterday against a high school varsity player. Even withnot playing for 2+ years, I beat him in 6-4, 6-2. Feels my game has improved.

Oh, yes, the coopersave Lastrap. It helps a lot too.

It's great I am able to play tennis again!

War, Safin!
05-29-2007, 11:10 AM
Dear all...

right?
5). Oversize is better?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Last summer, I had chronic 'golfer's elbow' as a result from using Wilson Prostaff racquets - seriously, it got to the point in June '06 where I had to go see a specialist for sports injuries.
Circa Oct '06, I switched to Head Prestige racquets and as of today, the pain is completely gone.

FedUp
05-29-2007, 11:49 AM
With the help from all the responses on this board, and careful consideration, I have finally settle with Volkl Tour 10 MP Generation II. It's has a swing weight of 315g, stiffness of 61. On it, I have Tecnifibra NGR 16.

The whole thing feels really good. My shots are very solid and most importatntly, I am able to play again without much pain. I played 2 sets yesterday against a high school varsity player. Even withnot playing for 2+ years, I beat him in 6-4, 6-2. Feels my game has improved.

Oh, yes, the coopersave Lastrap. It helps a lot too.

It's great I am able to play tennis again!

Volkl's are great frames. I have similar discomfort in the elbow. I've been using the Volkl DNX 10 MP with no more pain. For more information on this racquet, check out my recent thread.

Bad Dog
05-29-2007, 11:58 AM
ps60, I was curious about that Bobolat vibration dampener. Can I ask what is the exact name of that particular dampener and can you find it on TW? Does it have silicone and that rod in it or is that something you came up with. Let me know.

Thanks

Acer

Acer,

The vibration dampener you have asked about is the Babolat Racquet Vibration System dampener (RVS):

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACBAB-BRVSDXX.html

I used it when I played with a stiffer racquet, and it actually seemed to help against tennis elbow. Sure it might occasionally fly off or break after many hours heavy use, but the protection was worth it.

Yes, you can find it here on TW, and yes it does have a small metal rod that counteracts the frame vibrations, not just the string vibrations like most other dampeners.

acer
05-30-2007, 06:58 AM
Acer,

The vibration dampener you have asked about is the Babolat Racquet Vibration System dampener (RVS):

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACBAB-BRVSDXX.html

I used it when I played with a stiffer racquet, and it actually seemed to help against tennis elbow. Sure it might occasionally fly off or break after many hours heavy use, but the protection was worth it.

Yes, you can find it here on TW, and yes it does have a small metal rod that counteracts the frame vibrations, not just the string vibrations like most other dampeners.

Thanks Bad Dog for the info.

Acer

grass_hopper
05-30-2007, 10:31 AM
head made a racquet with chip in it for tennis elbow, people who own one praise it all the time.