PDA

View Full Version : Why cant i play anymore?

tennisboydestroyed
09-14-2004, 09:05 AM
i recently came back to tennis after a longterm layoff at 14 i was ranked in the top 20 in my country and because of some personal problems i quit tennis and i picked up a racquet again for the first time again at 18.

i just cant play now i have been playing for 5 months and i cant hit a clean shot like i use to. I lose to players i would beat 6-0 6-0 when i was 12.
i play 3 times a week but find it really frustrating. i have a totsally different shape now on my shots and it feels awful.
i dont understand this as my ability level is really high , i started playing at 10 and reached county level the same year.

will i ever regain the tennis i had as a kid? , or have those years i stayed away from the game turn me in to a rubbish club player.

Thanatos
09-14-2004, 09:38 AM
It just takes time and patience. Your strokes will come back, just focus on the fundamentals that you learned before you quit. At 18, once you get your shots back you will have also developed power since you are stronger at 18 then 10.

I just recently returned to tennis after a 10yr absent. It took me about 6 months to finally get back in shape and be competitive enough to compete.