PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion For Racquet Similiar To Yonex RDX 500-Mid

Mike Werblin
04-13-2007, 01:20 PM
I am looking for a racquet in the 90-95sq.in. headsize that has a similiar soft/comfy feel to the RDX 500-Mid. The RDX 500 is not available anymore and I tried its replacement, the RDS 001-Mid, but found that too stiff and harsh feeling. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Mike Werblin
04-13-2007, 06:44 PM
Anyone have any thoughts???

Duzza
04-13-2007, 11:50 PM
Hi Mike, I've recently thought about changing from my RDX mid too, since I only have one left. I got a Ti-80 replacement and I'm pretty impressed with it. But in your case I offer you:

Dunlop Aerogel 200 - Very flexy just like the RDX
Prince O3 Tour MS - Looks to be very nice and soft
Volkl Tour 10 - DNX, V-Engine, Classic whichever really.
Head Prestige Classic Midsize - Beautiful racquet and very flexible.

sw00sh
04-14-2007, 12:42 AM
Specs wise AG200 and PC600 are pretty close, but I find PC600 lack the spin generation if you are coming from RDX.

I m presently using RDX mid and also trying to change, and I have a PC600. Duzza is right that PC600 is beautiful and flexible, but you will miss the amount of usual spin you will impart on the ball if you choose this.

I m presently considering AG200 but only the European model though, cos they have the 16 x 19 pattern which I assume will not leave me lesser spin generation than before. I am also considering AG100 (European) if any one can give a comment on spin produced as compare to RDX for me. thanks!

Punisha
04-14-2007, 01:37 AM
Rds001???????

mit lewop
04-14-2007, 01:52 AM
I am looking for a racquet in the 90-95sq.in. headsize that has a similiar soft/comfy feel to the RDX 500-Mid. The RDX 500 is not available anymore and I tried its replacement, the RDS 001-Mid, but found that too stiff and harsh feeling. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Hi, I too tried the rds 001 and found it stiff and harsh. I then tried the 003 and found it easy to hit the ball (comfort). The 003 is 100 sq. in. but not sure if thats a major concern? I went back straight away and bought it, it felt that nice but now I'm thinking should I have tried the 002. Anyway the 003 is good enough for me, Its not like I'm good or anything!

Duzza
04-14-2007, 02:13 AM
Rds001???????

Said was too stiff and harsh.

ShiroRm
04-14-2007, 05:01 AM
I usually play with Rdx 500 Mid. But I bought a Dunlop Aerogel 100 recently. I didn't like it at first: it was too light in stock form; it was difficult for me to keep the ball on the court; I felt too much vibration when hitting the ball and the sound produced seemed too metalic.
Then I decided to make some changes: full gut 16G at a higher tension (27Kg) than my usual tension with the Rdx 500 (25KG for 16 gauge gut/26 for 17 gauge one); lead (5g in total, at 3 and 9); leather grip (without overgrip); dunlop vibration dampener.
Now it seems to me a very nice racquet: solid and stable; not rigid, but crisp at the same time. I'm very surprised by the control and accuracy it offers: in most cases, I manage to center even the lines without effort and with consciousness (? I'm italian, so I'm not sure about this term).
Speaking of (top) spin, I'm sorry, I have a very classic game: mostly flat and back spin shots. So I'm not the right player to give accurate details about it: I can only say that when I looked for top spin backhands, the racquet delivered them.

ShiroRm
04-14-2007, 10:53 AM
Here are some images:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/558656887sUxANK

ShiroRm
04-15-2007, 09:04 AM
Hi,
I've just had another hitting session with both Rdx and Aerogel 100.
I started using the Ag (with 5g added), then switched to the Rdx, then decided to come back to the Ag. It's a little stiffer, so it offers a little more power and accuracy then Rdx in stock form: I could aim at one point of the court and the racquet offered a predictable response without too much flex. I could produce slice backhands more easily with Ag, because it's the most head heavy racquet between the two at the moment.
Rdx in stock form resulted more manouvrable, but flat shots landed too short, while slice backhands floated sometimes. Speaking about top spin and kick serves, instead, Rdx is definitly better.
I'm thinking about adding some lead to the Rdx. I suppose it'll become again my preferred racquet among the two, after the change. But Ag seems to me more amusing at the moment.
As for you, if top spin shots are an essential part of your game and weight is a problem for you, probably Ag 200 16x19 would be a better choice, as you can already imagine: it's a bit lighter than Ag 100 and it's head size offers more room for spin.

BreakPoint
04-15-2007, 09:51 AM
Why not just look to buy some slightly used RDX 500 Mids?

fuzz nation
04-15-2007, 10:24 AM
If you're going to grab some demos, I'd suggest you consider the Fischer M Speed 98 and the Prince NXG mid. Both are on the softer side and I'd say the Fischer is better all over the court, while the NXG will produce nice strokes from the baseline with it's combo of high flex and ample heft.