PDA

View Full Version : Flexpoint to Microgel - any takers?

Alley Cat
04-13-2007, 04:16 PM
Just wondering if any current Head racquet users (Flexpoint, LM, & older frames) have been lured by the stiffness and power level of the Microgel Extremess. I have enjoyed the Prestige series but on occassion am intrigued by either lighter sticks or more powerful racquets. Has anyone made the jump? Or attempted the jump but was unimpressed? Any comments are appreciated as I am tempted to give them a look.

McGee
04-13-2007, 07:04 PM
Hit with the Extreme Pro and loved the spin capability. The wider beam and stiffness obviously created more power and slightly less control than the FXP Prestige and Volkls that I hit with (and less stability). My elbow twinged after my first session with the Extreme Pro but when I played for a couple of hours today there was no discomfort. I like the Extreme Pro and am giving it a longer demo and dropping the tension of the string setup. The LM Prestige was too low powered and mushy for me but I liked the FXP Prestige.....the Extreme Pro just has a much bigger sweetspot.

WChiang
04-13-2007, 07:16 PM
The FXP Prestige and Radical were much better sticks IMO than the Microgels. Head was trying to emulate Babolat with these new frames and they took their eye off the ball, so to speak. The Extreme Pro and Standard sticks have no control and they feel terrible on the elbow. I would stay with Flexpoint.

Offshore
04-13-2007, 07:29 PM
Hit with both. Still love my Flexpoint Prestige MP. Much better feel and control.

Rory G
04-13-2007, 07:32 PM
The FXP Prestige and Radical were much better sticks IMO than the Microgels. Head was trying to emulate Babolat with these new frames and they took their eye off the ball, so to speak. The Extreme Pro and Standard sticks have no control and they feel terrible on the elbow. I would stay with Flexpoint.

In my brief experience with the Microgel Pro I never had elbow probs and really love the power and spin that the stick created. Much more action on the ball than the FXP Radical and easier to swing. The Microgel Pro definitely worth a long term demo and reminds me of Pure Drive Roddick..only more arm friendly.

TennisKevin
04-13-2007, 07:45 PM

i agree. i demo'ed the extreme pro, and although i haven't played enough with it to experience pain because i put it back in my bag after 5 minutes, i really could'nt get any feel for the ball at all, and the wider racquet face made it feel strangely like i was hitting off center on all of my shots. it does get some spin though, although not very good control

stormholloway
04-13-2007, 07:51 PM

Well the Microgels aren't a specific racquet. It's simply the new line from Head. Compare the new Radical (of which there are now pictures) to the old one, not the FXP Radical to the Extreme Pro. Those are totally different racquets.

It's obvious to most, even though I've not hit with it, that the Extreme racquets are meant to compete with the huge success of Babolat. There's obviously a market for a racquet with these specs so Head just helped fill the gap.

Dot
04-13-2007, 08:29 PM
I agree with most here. I'm very happy with fxp mps though the new sticks will likely appeal to a group of players looking for a very different type of feel. I think it is a good move from head but not one I'm interested in trying!!

theRadical
04-13-2007, 08:47 PM
I definately like my Flexpoint Radical more than the Extreme. I cant wait to try out the microgel Radical though!!!!!!!!!!!

Ronny
04-13-2007, 08:54 PM
I definately like my Flexpoint Radical more than the Extreme. I cant wait to try out the microgel Radical though!!!!!!!!!!!

The extreme is a replacement to the INSTINCT NOT THE RADICAL!

stormholloway
04-13-2007, 09:30 PM
I just got done explaining how the Extreme was not a replacement for the Radical, yet here we are with more confused posters.

stormholloway
04-14-2007, 12:54 AM
Thanks for enunciating my rights to remain silent. I could have sworn that was NOT in the constitution.

Thanks to your political science savvy, I've also decided to convert to Scientology... just for rights' sake.

wyutani
04-14-2007, 02:02 AM
anyway. what is microgel? all i see is ljubicic hitting it and the bubble of "WOOOM" can be seen....weird...anyway, isnt ljubicic a former babolat user?

vinnier6
04-14-2007, 05:57 AM
i wonder what radical mold head is breaking out to put the microgel pj on....and why do people think then need to run right out and spend money on something new...because if you suck at tennis, your going to suck with a new racquet....

John Galt
04-14-2007, 09:56 AM
I know that there are mixed reviews so far with the Microgels but I really like the Extreme Pro. Have been hitting with it for a couple of weeks and the spin, power and control combo is great. I'm coming off of a Volkl T10VE MP and find the increased power a big help to my game; as I can control it with some nice spin. Lively stringbed and big sweetspot...lot's of fun to play with. I haven't made the switch yet but this stick is at the top of my list. For what it is worth, I am a big fan of the Flexpoint Prestige MP but am fancying the power/spin of the Extreme Pro. I am giving it a few more matches before a final decision.

Grandslam
04-14-2007, 11:02 AM
I've been using the LM Prestige MP. I've switched to the Extreme Standard and to me, it's a superior racquet in every way. I'm cracking one-handed backhands better than ever and absolutely spanking serves while maintaining a very hight percentage in the service box. The added power, spin and mobility at the net, make this racquet a winner in my book.

rabidcow
04-14-2007, 11:23 AM
I used to play with the head LM Radical but did not like the flexibility of the flexpoints so I switched to the PK type S and love it. When the Microgel Radical does come out I will take a look at it but it better be a lot stiffer than the flexpoint

McGee
04-14-2007, 03:48 PM
I've been using the LM Prestige MP. I've switched to the Extreme Standard and to me, it's a superior racquet in every way. I'm cracking one-handed backhands better than ever and absolutely spanking serves while maintaining a very hight percentage in the service box. The added power, spin and mobility at the net, make this racquet a winner in my book.

That's what I felt. I actually came from the Dunlop 200g series after many years and then a brief stint with a Radical. The ability to control the power of the Extreme frames I believe is one of its better qualities. The sticks have a big sweetspot but the balls do not fly out of control...especially due to the easy generation of racquet head speed and spin for control. I also found that with the Extreme Pro that I can mix up bombs with kickers very well on the serve. While the swingweight for the Pro states about 330, it feels like the low 320's to me. I think that it is a smart move for HEAD to offer this alternative to the dense string pattern lower power frames and to better compete with the Babolats and Surge type frames. Especially with more younger players using the western grips and heavy spin baseline games.

Craig Carter
04-15-2007, 04:13 PM
I hit with the Extreme Pro this weekend and other than the very round shape of its head (which took a while to get used to) I really enjoyed playing with it. Loads of power and spin. I thought that it was very stable and my volleying was great with this frame (very maneuverable and big sweetspot, and crisp) It was strung with that new Head string..I think it was Sonic Boom or something like that...it was a poly at 60 lbs. Very different from the flexpoints especially stiffness and feel, obviously. I think the flexpoints and microgels are for two different types of players (until microgel rads and prestiges come out ;) )

whoster69
04-15-2007, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the info Craig. What kind of players do you think would be more suited to the Flexpoints and what kind to the Microgels?

Noveson
04-15-2007, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the info Craig. What kind of players do you think would be more suited to the Flexpoints and what kind to the Microgels?

You can't just generalize a whole line of racquets that way. The Microgel Extremes are for players who hit with a lot of spin, so the ball stays in with that power, like to hit hard, and play an aggressive baseline style(generally). Pretty much same demographic(right word?) as the Pure Drive.

Craig Carter
04-15-2007, 06:52 PM

I think that Noveson is correct with the Extreme/Pro and Pure Drive comparison. I believe the Flexpoint Prestiges might be more attractive to more classic and/or flatter hitters of the ball....although I have seen some pretty heavy baseliners do well with FXP Prestiges. I guess the Flexpoints might be considered more "control" frames and the Extremes considered more power/spin frames.

whoster69
04-15-2007, 07:22 PM
That's interesting Craig. I've been demoing the Extreme and the Flexpoint Prestige (along with several others). To me, the Prestige was more spin friendly. I agree about it being a more control racquet and the Extreme having more power. I'd also agree it's a lot like the Pure Drive (another racquet I'm currently demoing).

Thanks for the insight.

Alley Cat
04-20-2007, 07:41 PM
I finally got a chance to demo this frame and I really enjoyed it! I have been acustomed to flexier less powerful frames but as I get older I realize that a slightly lighter racquet with more pop and spin might be the ticket. At first the Extreme Pro was difficult to adjust to and I was overhitting my groundstrokes but after about an hour I was starting to dial in the spin necessary to keep the ball in the court. After two sessions with the stick I am very impressed by its comfort, power, and spin. I had especially good luck with kick serves and two handed return of serves. I am a bit surprised and will give this frame another week or two "dance".

Offshore
05-21-2007, 05:18 PM
After hearing quite a few favorable reviews I took the MEP out for a longer demo (about 3 weeks of play). I actually enjoyed its power and could get used to the spin it can generate...BUT it was a little harsh on the arm and the control just wasn't there - especially volleys. I have a relatively flat stroke and don't use excessive spin so that might explain a lot. The FXP Prestige is more maneuverable and controllable. I must admit that I could hit service bombs with the MEP and the kickers were great so I can see why so many like this stick. But for an old school guy that likes his dense string pattern, control and comfort - I am still a big fan of the Flexpoint Prestige MP.

Craig Carter
06-04-2007, 10:48 AM
That's interesting Craig. I've been demoing the Extreme and the Flexpoint Prestige (along with several others). To me, the Prestige was more spin friendly. I agree about it being a more control racquet and the Extreme having more power. I'd also agree it's a lot like the Pure Drive (another racquet I'm currently demoing).

Thanks for the insight.

The big difference for me is the sweetspot size. The Extreme Pro has a huge sweetspot and with the stiffness and string pattern it can generate huge pace and spin. I would not make the jump from the FXP Prestige to the EP unless you are not hitting the sweetspot consistently or you are trying to become more of a baseline basher. I would definitely say that the Prestige is a better volleying stick.

whoster69 - any decisions based on the demos?

whoster69
06-04-2007, 12:02 PM
The big difference for me is the sweetspot size. The Extreme Pro has a huge sweetspot and with the stiffness and string pattern it can generate huge pace and spin. I would not make the jump from the FXP Prestige to the EP unless you are not hitting the sweetspot consistently or you are trying to become more of a baseline basher. I would definitely say that the Prestige is a better volleying stick.

whoster69 - any decisions based on the demos?

I decided to wait for the new line to come out so I could compare those. In the meantime I developed tennis elbow, so I'm MIA right now until that gets better.

Of the racquets I demoed I like the Flexpoint Prestige the best, but I want to try some more before making a final decision.

Safina
06-04-2007, 12:05 PM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCHEAD-HMGRAD.html

Offshore
06-04-2007, 01:12 PM
Wonder when the Microgel Prestige will hit the streets

nino1991
06-04-2007, 04:25 PM
I haven't officially made the switch from my FXP Instinct to the Extreme Pro , but after demoing the MEP I just don't look at the FXP the same anymore lol. I admit the MEP doesn't hold a candle to the FXP Instinct at the net but in serve power and baseline play I was amazed and can't wait to buy it. Head really weren't kidding when they made the slogan Rock Solid though, the stiffness you get from this racket is way more than anything I've ever tried before, but it doesnt kill the arm on impact, I love it!

p0w3r
06-04-2007, 04:35 PM
i would consider the extreme pro if it was 27.5...but unfortunately its not. i really wonder if head is going to make any XL racquets under its new microgel line.

budkid
10-21-2007, 06:16 PM
I went from the Head Flexpoint Radical MP, to the Microgel Radical MP, then to the Microgel Radical Pro. I really like the pro version compared to the MP versions. I think i shall stick with an open pattern for a looong time!

bertrevert
10-21-2007, 06:46 PM
LM Rad MP to MG Rad MP. Not enough miles/kilometers on the clock to be able to review except to say that I immediately had to add lead to the MP because it is feels tool light. Speaking of feel I seem to like the microgel :)

bubbatex
10-22-2007, 06:06 AM
I went from the Head Flexpoint Radical MP, to the Microgel Radical MP, then to the Microgel Radical Pro. I really like the pro version compared to the MP versions. I think i shall stick with an open pattern for a looong time!

LM Rad MP to MG Rad MP. Not enough miles/kilometers on the clock to be able to review except to say that I immediately had to add lead to the MP because it is feels tool light. Speaking of feel I seem to like the microgel :)

I am demoing a MG Rad OS right now, but like the numbers of the MG Rad Pro a little better - however, the number that scares me a little on the Pro is the higher stiffness (64 vs. 56 on the OS). I have a tender elbow from hitting with a Prostaff 5.9 stretch at 70 stiffness.

Anyway - budkid - how was the feel of that change to your arm? Any noticable arm differences?

Pro_Tour_630
10-22-2007, 08:08 AM
I am demoing a MG Rad OS right now, but like the numbers of the MG Rad Pro a little better - however, the number that scares me a little on the Pro is the higher stiffness (64 vs. 56 on the OS). I have a tender elbow from hitting with a Prostaff 5.9 stretch at 70 stiffness.

Anyway - budkid - how was the feel of that change to your arm? Any noticable arm differences?

don't go by TW #'s only , sometime SW and flex #'s are off, it happens. Test the Rpro yourself to find out if you can with a few different set ups. . Stiffer frames do tend to irritate the elbow. You should look into 17g soft multi at the lowest possible tension you can control and you should be fine with the Radical Pro. Proper grip size is importable as well.

bubbatex
10-22-2007, 08:15 AM
Thanks (again) Michael - particularly on the strings.

TnTBigman
10-22-2007, 02:36 PM
i'm still waiting to demo some FP Prestige MP. but which ever one I like the best...i'm buying.

bubbatex
10-22-2007, 02:51 PM
I just ordered demo's: FP Rad Tour and the MG Rad Pro and for grins I threw in the Becker 11. I am looking forward to Wednesday!

saram
10-22-2007, 05:32 PM
You can bet that when the Prestige Mid (pro?) comes out, I'm there giving it a shot...

Pro_Tour_630
10-22-2007, 05:56 PM
You can bet that when the Prestige Mid (pro?) comes out, I'm there giving it a shot...

when and IF a prestige Pro mid comes out ??!?!?!?!?!

dr donut
11-19-2007, 07:35 AM
fxp is softer, almost squishy. microgel plays more like the intelligence line -- atleast in the prestige