PDA

View Full Version : Does Donnay Exist?

Beach_club_guy
04-13-2007, 07:29 PM
Is Donnay totally extinct? Are they now sold in Europe only? Where did they go? :confused:

ericsson
04-13-2007, 11:54 PM
Dunlop sports took over donnay and Slazenger, they still make rackets but recreational and more clothes but low budget, no more players rackets...what a shame for a company with that name, wish they were still in belgium :-(

It all started with the take over in 1996: British entrepreneur Stephen Nardelli has been speaking of his plans for the future of Donnay, the well-known sports racquet manufacturers he has just acquired from the government of Belgium's Walloon region for Belgian Francs 125 million - approximately Pounds sterling 2.5 million.

At a meeting with the Belgian media today, together with the Prime Minister of the Walloon region, Robert Collignon, Mr Nardelli confirmed that the acquisition will mean Donnay's headquarters will remain in Couvin, the company's home for more than 60 years. Future developments include a proposed pnds 20 million distribution centre in the area creating around 150 new jobs.

Donnay is a tennis legend, making court history in the 1970s when Bjorn Borg won 62 titles with a Donnay racquet. During the 1970's and 1980's the company was one of the world's leading producers, manufacturing up to 10,000 racquets a day. Recent famous names who have wielded the brand include Andre Agassi who won the Wimbledon title in 1992 with a Donnay Racquet.

chair ump
04-14-2007, 06:59 AM
One of my favorite Donnay racquets of recent history was the Rusedski Pro, not to be confused with the cheaper racquet the Rusedski Tour...The Pro was one of the best serve and volley racquets I ever played with. Awesome paint job too.

vsbabolat
04-14-2007, 08:28 AM
I would like to clarify what was already written. In 1996 Stephen Nardelli bought Donnay. Then a few years ago Mr. Nardelli bought the Dunlop Slazenger Group. Unfortunately he turned Donnay into a discount sports brand. What will become of Dunlop and Slazenger only time will tell.

You guys might be interested in this site. http://www.donnay.nu/racket-tennis.shtml

fuzz nation
04-14-2007, 08:39 AM
Man, is it something in the water? People away from these boards have been bringing up Donnay lately, too. I used their Pro Cynetic One as a kid and I remember that when I had the choice, I loved it over the Sampras Prostaff.

Thanks for the history lesson, etc. Always fun to know what's going on behind the curtain.