View Full Version : Bosworth vintage racquets now back at TW

TW Staff
04-13-2007, 08:51 PM
Access from the TW homepage or go directly via:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/BosRacquets.html

Chris, TW

retrowagen
04-13-2007, 10:14 PM
These are some cool rackets! NB, however, that some of the specs on the Snauwaert Golden Mid on the TW sales site are possibly incorrect. The head size is actually 539 cm2, the composition is Graphite/Fiberglas/Aramide (kevlar) with one wooden element, and the string pattern actually has four shared holes [this from period Snauwaert literature].

christo
04-13-2007, 10:15 PM
Some awesome looking sticks, I suppose anyone thinking Pros use off the shelf frames should take a look at the Seles sticks.

KFwinds
04-13-2007, 10:23 PM
Chris, any chance of getting the specs on the rest of those? I only saw posted specs on a few of the frames. They look sweet...

BreakPoint
04-13-2007, 10:50 PM
Anyone else notice that most of the wood racquets in the collection come in 4 5/8 as their smallest grip size and only two come in 4 1/2 as the smallest grip size? A few are available with 4 3/4 grip sizes. Nothing smaller than 4 1/2 in any of them.

This gives people that never used wood racquets an indication of how popular larger grip sizes used to be and why many people who grew up with wood (like me) still prefer using larger grip sizes. I used to use a 4 5/8 as a kid and now I use a 4 1/2 with an overgrip and just can't get used to anything smaller than that. I remember when wood racquets also came in 4 7/8 and even 5 or larger. I think the most popular size used to be 4 3/4 or 4 5/8. Now it's 4 3/8. Boy, have times changed, not just in materials used for racquets, but in how small grip sizes feel comfortable to people now.

ericsson
04-13-2007, 11:47 PM
Indeed BP, and look at the weight of the Snauwaert Experimental 72sq., in 4 3/4 it weighs 393grams!!! i wanne see nadal with that in his hands :p

times definitely changed...

TW Staff
04-16-2007, 10:35 AM
Sorry, the posted specs were in error and have been removed. On the racquets we can post some spec info, we have included that in the descriptions. For others, either there isn't sufficient stock or the specs vary slightly between racquets - remember these were to be used for pro use and some are built to slight variences in spec for player testing.

Chris, TW

superstition
04-16-2007, 06:26 PM
Larger grips and heavier weights were more useful before western grips and topspin became dominant on surfaces other than clay. A tennis instructional video with Jack Kramer said the most popular grip is the eastern grip. How many players use that today? Lol. The eastern grip was good for fescue (grass) courts because it helped players deal with low balls. Now, with Rebound Ace, Pure Drives, and polyester, people are hitting with western grips and topspin because of high bouncing slow hard courts. Heavy racquet weight provided more power with flexible wood and more stability for volleys and dealing with bad bounces. The strokes were different, too. A flat stroke benefits from weight and doesn't need as much racquet head speed.