PDA

View Full Version : Hit with the Ti-80 for the first time today

Duzza
04-13-2007, 10:02 PM
I thought it was a very impressive racquet, still having trouble adapting to the MP headsize. First off, groundstrokes were very OK with this racquet I found. I'm a pretty flat hitter, but even when I went going for a bit of spin it was a failure. It actually felt a bit too light, could be the low SW that put me off. Volleys are GREAT with this thing, so solid and crisp, same for smashes. Serves are the absolute bomb too, one of my favourite, although my 2nd serve was horrible because of the lack of access to spin yet again.

All up, I'm gonna continue with it for a while longer, may need some tweaking first.

Swissv2
04-13-2007, 10:20 PM
great for power. Hopefully you have a two hand bh. the light racquets are dreadful for returning any high bouncing balls with any "meat" to the hit.

Duzza
04-13-2007, 10:40 PM
great for power. Hopefully you have a two hand bh. the light racquets are dreadful for returning any high bouncing balls with any "meat" to the hit.

I have a 2hander yeah but I did not enjoy hitting them today. It's not that light though, 343 grams, just low SW which makes it tough to get a lot of not so much power, but effect on the ball? lol not sure how to put it but some of my shots were very weak yet powerful.

armand
04-14-2007, 05:41 AM
This racquet has good spin capability! I've had her for 3 or 4 yrs and it's good, trust me. Maybe something has gone wrongly...

Duzza
04-14-2007, 05:50 AM
This racquet has good spin capability! I've had her for 3 or 4 yrs and it's good, trust me. Maybe something has gone wrongly...

Maybe...I'll hit again tomorrow, but apart from that I was very impressed. I'm easily impressed, as I'm a firm believer in the old "good worker never blames his tools" ;)

VikingSamurai
04-14-2007, 06:16 AM
Maybe...I'll hit again tomorrow, but apart from that I was very impressed. I'm easily impressed, as I'm a firm believer in the old "good worker never blames his tools" ;)

Correct!......

El Guapo
04-14-2007, 09:09 AM
Um, what makes you think that the Ti-80 is light?

KOtennis
04-14-2007, 08:13 PM
Duzza,

i am surprised to hear you say that ti-80 lacks spin.

its one of the better spin racquets if u ask me.

keep hitting with it, i am sure you will like it more and more.

Duzza
04-14-2007, 08:31 PM
Duzza,

i am surprised to hear you say that ti-80 lacks spin.

its one of the better spin racquets if u ask me.

keep hitting with it, i am sure you will like it more and more.

Probably, about to go have a hit now :) Have you done anything with lead ever on yours, or added a leather grip?

Duzza
04-15-2007, 01:04 AM
Had another hit today, and it's just not me. I'm almost positive the racquet for me is the n/k 6.1 95.

FitzRoy
04-15-2007, 01:34 AM
Had another hit today, and it's just not me. I'm almost positive the racquet for me is the n/k 6.1 95.

What's convinced you that the 6.1 95 is the way to go?

Duzza
04-15-2007, 01:45 AM
What's convinced you that the 6.1 95 is the way to go?

Thinking back to when I demoed it, I enjoyed it a lot but went for the FXP Radical because I was younger and my parents were worried about the weight. It suits my game a lot, and I'm going to demo it soon.

Swissv2
04-15-2007, 01:55 AM
Um, what makes you think that the Ti-80 is light?

Ah, because I use a 13.6 oz racquet (Ti-80 is around 11.2 oz unstrung I believe)

Perhaps light for me, but maybe not for others.

FitzRoy
04-15-2007, 01:58 AM
Thinking back to when I demoed it, I enjoyed it a lot but went for the FXP Radical because I was younger and my parents were worried about the weight. It suits my game a lot, and I'm going to demo it soon.

Yeah, demoing is probably a good call. I tried the n6.1 95 (16x18 ) a while back and thought it was pretty good...reminded me of the borrowed Hypercarbon 6.1 that I used for about a month a long ways back. In retrospect, I wish I would have used that 6.1 in my last year of school instead of the 6.0 85, because my results would've probably been more consistent...wasn't ready for the 85 at that time. ;)

I think the Wilson 6.1 line is a very good series of racquets. I don't usually see them getting as much talk as the Tour 90s, but I think they're as good and probably more versatile.

Duzza
04-15-2007, 02:18 AM
Yeah, demoing is probably a good call. I tried the n6.1 95 (16x18 ) a while back and thought it was pretty good...reminded me of the borrowed Hypercarbon 6.1 that I used for about a month a long ways back. In retrospect, I wish I would have used that 6.1 in my last year of school instead of the 6.0 85, because my results would've probably been more consistent...wasn't ready for the 85 at that time. ;)

I think the Wilson 6.1 line is a very good series of racquets. I don't usually see them getting as much talk as the Tour 90s, but I think they're as good and probably more versatile.

Yeah sounds a lot like me atm. I'm doing my final year now and I know that 90's are hindering me. The 95 attracts me because its the kind of racquet that is heavy, solid, consistent but still has a lot of modern features.

knasty131
04-15-2007, 05:42 AM
Yeah sounds a lot like me atm. I'm doing my final year now and I know that 90's are hindering me. The 95 attracts me because its the kind of racquet that is heavy, solid, consistent but still has a lot of modern features.

Is the Yonex yours or a demo??? Wait, while I was typing this I remembered youre in Australia. lol (was gonna ask to buy it)

KOtennis
04-15-2007, 06:41 AM
i never did add leather grip to my ti-80s.

i remember that i did add some leadtape to the throat to add a little more swingweight.

but that was around 3 years ago.
i leave them stock now. overgrip is the only thing i add to it

main reason is because i play doubles mostly, and i like my doubles racquet headlight.

for singles i play mostly with my Asian K90.

fuzz nation
04-15-2007, 08:39 AM
Hey Duz...

Didn't you just switch away from the RDX 500? I only know that frame by reputation, but I think that only a small group of racquets will match it for spin production (provided you use the same swing motion). If you switch to the nSix-One or something else, I'd bet it will take a long stretch to make the adjustments in your swing - the change in your muscle memory includes unlearning your old swing timing. The more that a new frame matches or 'fits' the way you swing now, the quicker the transfer will proably go.

Just making a case for being patient once you make the switch.

Duzza
04-15-2007, 10:16 PM
Hey Duz...

Didn't you just switch away from the RDX 500? I only know that frame by reputation, but I think that only a small group of racquets will match it for spin production (provided you use the same swing motion). If you switch to the nSix-One or something else, I'd bet it will take a long stretch to make the adjustments in your swing - the change in your muscle memory includes unlearning your old swing timing. The more that a new frame matches or 'fits' the way you swing now, the quicker the transfer will proably go.

Just making a case for being patient once you make the switch.

Thanks, but I'm barely put any spin on the ball compared to the average clay courter, but I'll definitely keep it in mind.

BkK_b0y14
04-16-2007, 06:18 AM
hey duzza why are u selling your ti-80 and mp tour 1?

dr_punk
04-16-2007, 06:22 AM
sounds good duzz

Duzza
05-07-2007, 02:15 AM
I just had some more hits with this racquet.

Played my weekend matches with it. Played the no.2 pair first with my RDX and we lost in 3. Then played the no.1 pair and beat them 2 and 1 with the Ti-80.

This racquet is a beast when you get into it!! I didn't allow enough time for it, but it is one mean machine. Serves are a lot faster than my RDX, and spin on the second is just as great. My groundstrokes are pretty good at the moment, although the 2H bh isnt nearly as comfortable with this racquet. I was hitting some powerful forehand and some great volleys in the win, I think I've found the perfect mix of 2 racquets.

knasty131
05-07-2007, 04:09 AM
what kind of string do you have in yours?

Duzza
05-07-2007, 04:10 AM
Signum Poly Plasma.