PDA

View Full Version : Yonex RDS handle construction

Safina
04-14-2007, 07:50 AM
Hello,

I am trying to figure out the difference in construction between Yonex and other racquets.
The Yonex RDS001 mid feels so "solid", you don't really need a dampener.
I also notice Yonex doesn't really have a "trap door".

1. Do they have hollow handles like Babolat Pure Drive or Head Instinct, or is it solid material, or is it hollow but filled with foam or other substance?

2. Anyone have a picture of a Yonex RDS without the buttcap on?

Thanks!

armand
04-14-2007, 07:52 AM
No it's not hollow, it's one solid piece of hard foam. No pic but I've seen it plenty of times.

Duzza
04-14-2007, 08:15 AM
Does it look anything like this, on the RDX 500 Mid?
http://i13.tinypic.com/34i1vva.jpg

Safina
04-14-2007, 08:23 AM
nice pic Duzza.. thanks. I think it is exactly like that.
Looks foam filled to me!

armand
04-14-2007, 09:05 AM
I stand corrected. It is exactly like Duzza's RDX but the thin layer of foam that covers the bottom of the 'trap door' can be broken through if I remember correctly. I've never done it, and I could be mistaken.

Voltron
04-14-2007, 09:07 AM
It is exactly like that, and the grip does leave that much residue. I've never taken the buttcap off mine however, as it is secured with nine or so full sized staples.

louis netman
04-14-2007, 09:58 AM
I stand corrected. It is exactly like Duzza's RDX but the thin layer of foam that covers the bottom of the 'trap door' can be broken through if I remember correctly. I've never done it, and I could be mistaken.

Thin layer? Can it be broken through? Was contemplating the 002 over the 002Tour due to my want/need to fill the typical hollow space with silicone. Please verify that the handle is indeed, hollow...will save me alot of grief...Thanx!

armand
04-14-2007, 04:07 PM
Thin layer? Can it be broken through? Was contemplating the 002 over the 002Tour due to my want/need to fill the typical hollow space with silicone. Please verify that the handle is indeed, hollow...will save me alot of grief...Thanx!
No...I am sorry. As Voltron said, the buttcap is secured with industrial staples so it's a lot of work to take off and especially put back on. I mighta done it to my RDX which I don't use at all anymore, but a friend has it on extended loan.

Duzza
04-14-2007, 05:40 PM
Well I just took the buttcap, grommets and bumper off because it's broken and I was bored. The staples I got out with a small screwdriver ;) Putting back on is out of the question.

snoflewis
04-14-2007, 10:15 PM
Hello,

I am trying to figure out the difference in construction between Yonex and other racquets.
The Yonex RDS001 mid feels so "solid", you don't really need a dampener.
I also notice Yonex doesn't really have a "trap door".

1. Do they have hollow handles like Babolat Pure Drive or Head Instinct, or is it solid material, or is it hollow but filled with foam or other substance?

2. Anyone have a picture of a Yonex RDS without the buttcap on?

Thanks!

Safina, the "solid" feel doesnt really have much to do with the trap door. every player's racket that i've dealt with had foam filled handles, which would have a lot to do with dampening the vibration, but i found some rackets to be more jarring (and solid) than others even in similar weight ranges. a solid handle would make the grip incredibly heavy and incredibly headlight in relation to the head, which is hollow.

BlackJesus
04-14-2007, 10:27 PM
Since I don't like yonex handle but love the frame I'm planning to remove all the silicone handle and substitute it with an Head pallet I'd like to know if the shape of the handle under the silicone is the same for all brand racquets or different

eman resu
01-26-2013, 05:06 AM
Do you think head pallets would fit on a RDX500mp if you remove the outer foam? can you measure the hairpin dimensions?