PDA

View Full Version : Racquet For doubles Mid?

Final_Match_Point
04-14-2007, 07:57 AM
Ive been using a PD Roddick STD for about 6 months now, and I enjoy it in singles, I was thinking of playing more doubles, and I feel the lack of control when going for line shots.

I was thinking of trying the Redondo C 93 or 98 I've looked at reviews for both, but im still undecided. Can anyone help?

Duzza
04-14-2007, 08:09 AM
Nothing beats a POG Mid at the net if you're only looking at Mid's ;)

But I doubt you're into the POG if you're using something as modern as a PD. Just think about what things make a good volleying racquet and go from there? IMO it's:

85-95 in headsize
heavy stock weight (over 12 oz)
decent stiffness (too flexy makes it tough)
HL balance (a must for net maneuvrability I find)

Racquets that come to mind:

Wilson PS 6.0 95
Wilson kSix-One 95
Prince Tour Diablo
Yonex Ti-80 (I know its a 98 headsize but very solid)
Head Flexpoint Prestige Mid
Yonex RDS 001 Midsize

Duzza
04-14-2007, 08:21 AM
Ive been using a PD Roddick STD for about 6 months now, and I enjoy it in singles, I was thinking of playing more doubles, and I feel the lack of control when going for line shots.

I was thinking of trying the Redondo C 93 or 98 I've looked at reviews for both, but im still undecided. Can anyone help?
Redondo, even though I haven't tried it, I think may be a bit too flexy for "doubles" style volleying. Singles could be ok, since you've got a lot less angles to cover and such.

Roger_Federer.
04-14-2007, 08:31 AM
A ksix one 95

rabidcow
04-14-2007, 11:30 AM
hey take a look at the laver type S as well from PK, solid racket very similar to the PD

nickb
04-14-2007, 11:38 AM
IMO you can add the k90 to that list....great volleying racket and good from the back of the court.

chair ump
04-14-2007, 12:09 PM
Slazenger X-1. 95 in head. Maneuverable and solid feel. Great for singles and excels in doubles.

Redflea
04-14-2007, 12:53 PM
hey take a look at the laver type S as well from PK, solid racket very similar to the PD

Laver Type S is a beauty at the net, not so much from the baseline...but the volleys w/it were very sweet.

Duzza
04-14-2007, 05:41 PM
Slazenger X-1. 95 in head. Maneuverable and solid feel. Great for singles and excels in doubles.

Forgot about this one. I've heard it's great.

Final_Match_Point
04-14-2007, 06:34 PM
I;m very wary about the kseries, Ive heard it was all hype. To be honest I hated the ncode compared to Head Classic Tour i was using when I tried it out, and im sure the k90 is way too stupidly hard to use

fgs
04-15-2007, 12:45 AM
final match point,
first, forget about the hype and go after personal experience - that is demo any stick you think could be of interest.
i played the pd (demo) and i would say that it plays completely different from the redondos (judging by the opinions expressed in this forum), so i truly would not go for such differently playing sticks. after all doubles is not only volleying - you have to serve from time to time and you will also have to put in some returns if you want to have a chance of volleying. while i can understand the lack of control you feel, i wouldn't go for such distinct playing characteristics.

Ronny
04-15-2007, 12:49 AM
ps85 but u might not get as much power as the pdr

nickb
04-15-2007, 12:53 AM
If you dont fancy any of the wilson how about another babolat, maybee the pure control or pure storm...these have more control and volley bettter than the PDR imo. Definatly give the pure control a demo, i thought it was very good at net.

pow
04-15-2007, 12:57 AM
My Redondo 93 feels great at net right now, I can't say for sure, I haven't had as much time to play with it as I would like but my early impressions are good.

From previous experience, I really liked the nsix-one 95 at net, it's very stable, I felt I was holding a wall because the ball would not be able to knock my racquet around, the racquet always "won" during the impact.

kingdaddy41788
04-15-2007, 01:00 AM
ps85 but u might not get as much power as the pdr

Might be an understatement...

If you dont fancy any of the wilson how about another babolat, maybee the pure control or pure storm...these have more control and volley bettter than the PDR imo. Definatly give the pure control a demo, i thought it was very good at net.

Pure Control also has the same stiffness as the PD so it might not be too drastic a change for you...

kingdaddy41788
04-15-2007, 01:02 AM
The new Slazengers (like in my signature - if you don't mind getting a racquet from the UK) are fantastic at net IMO. Also, the Dunlop M-fil 200 Plus is fantastic for all court play, but especially at net.

nickb
04-15-2007, 04:15 AM
"Pure Control also has the same stiffness as the PD so it might not be too drastic a change for you..."

Yes it does but it also has alot more CONTROL...which the op was asking for.

KingOfTennis
04-15-2007, 04:32 AM
IMO you can add the k90 to that list....great volleying racket and good from the back of the court.

yea me 2. Also i would add some the 03's on there since its very manuable (sp).

ps60
04-15-2007, 08:53 AM
K 90 for double ??

just ask Fed to do it... and i've seen him Live doubling with Martina Nava.., and he's got beaten up badly by Dimentieva.

OK, i know U volley better than Fed :grin:

fuzz nation
04-15-2007, 10:07 AM
The mids that I've played with have been really nice for singles, but definately less productive for doubles. They're softer and heavier by comparison with my other frames, so I can serve and volley ok with the mids, but they don't have the pop and maneuverability I want in really quick exchanges that routinely happen in good doubles. This is more than just a subtle difference for me - my 95-98 midplus frames give me huge confidence when I'm playing a heavy doubles match.

The Pure Storm and Pure Control are good ideas for demos, since you're already familiar with swinging a Babolat. Another frame that could be good is the Prince O3 Hybrid Tour - I think it's well set up for doubles work, too. The Redondos are pretty flexible and may be harder to pop the ball with when you're up at net, but if you can try them and they give you heaps of confidence, then I'd say you have a winner! I'd say try out the 98 first...

dave333
04-15-2007, 10:42 AM
Don't get a mid for doubles...I think you'll find it easier to carve the court up with a lighter, midplus.

mclee025
04-15-2007, 05:02 PM
Nothing beats a POG Mid at the net if you're only looking at Mid's ;)

I'll second this notion from Duzza. I just started playing with a POG mid again and it is a stick that is so solid with so much control at the net. It's almost like, if I can stick the racquet out and reach the ball, it's coming back with a nice firm satisfying thuck. In contrast, with many of my other racquets, it's hard for me to keep from overhitting and keeping those hard driven balls in court. The POG mid is an amazing racquet for net play.

Final_Match_Point
04-16-2007, 08:15 AM
I tried the POG and it was very unforgiving any other reqs?

fuzz nation
04-16-2007, 09:39 AM
Oh yeah, you might want to read up on the Fischer M Speed Pro #1 in the 105 size. What the heck, check out the 98, too.