PDA

View Full Version : Taking aim

David Pavlich
09-14-2004, 01:15 PM
Well, the public is gearing up for a whack from Ivan. I saw something I've never seen before: I went into the Winn Dixie last night and there were no buggies in the store! It was packed with people stocking up for the possibility of a real good time starting tomorrow night (Wednesday).

It looks as though the storm will go in on the eastern edge of the Florida panhandle or around Mobile. However, a 50 mile western hiccup and New Orleans will be in the cross hairs.

Got food, got gasoline, got generator. I'm ready!

David

tennisboy87
09-14-2004, 03:48 PM
Good luck to you.

Kirko
09-14-2004, 08:01 PM
Be safe !!

matchpoints
09-14-2004, 08:20 PM
I wonder how fast I can serve with that wind pushing the ball.

J/K

Best of luck mate!

jayserinos99
09-14-2004, 11:59 PM
good luck!!!

Coda
09-15-2004, 04:33 AM
matchpoint, you could get some serious spin on that serve!

stay safe out there!

bleach
09-15-2004, 05:38 AM
Keep your toss low!

David Pavlich
09-15-2004, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the replies. It's 9pm and we still have power. 35 mph winds and we have yet to see the rain. It looks as though the front that is pushing into Louisiana has a combination of westerly winds and drier air forcing Ivan to take a bump more east.

I know that Mobile and Pensacola are going to take a beating tonight. There's been waves as high as 52' measured in the Gulf. Lord have mercy.

David

Kirko
09-15-2004, 07:05 PM
Yeah really Dave , you're being glib but it has got to be awful I'm going to Temple tomorrow you & you'r family wil be in my prayers/

bigserving
09-15-2004, 07:45 PM
Did hurricane Iniki in Hawaii in the early 90's. The rain after the wind stops is something to behold.

Take good care.

NoBadMojo
09-15-2004, 07:50 PM
good luck david and be sure to bolt your silent partner to the floor.:) as a florida resident i can relate. if it;s hot there, suggest you run the ac and get it really nice and cool since you may lose power for somewhile. also good to freeze water in plastic jugs especially if you drink your martinis on the rocks ;) and you can then put them in your fridge to preserve your food in case the stores dont reopen soon if they are closed over there. 52' waves are crazy...good thing those are 200 miles out at sea. ed

bcaz
09-15-2004, 10:35 PM
Sat in the eye of Amelia, Houston, August 1983 ... power gone for six days ... nothing like bearing the front of the storm, the northeast quadrant "dirty shoulder" ... then the eye ... grinding coffee beans by hand, burning Sterno for the water, drinking that good java, the cat tucked nearby ... a smooth taste of civilization at 7 am ... then, looking out the window, seeing the wind come up from the other direction, then the back half of the storm ... the eye didn't hang around for even an hour ... moved back to AZ a few weeks later ... coincidence, no connection.

Blizzards? Connecticut, March 1993 ... took us two days to dig out ... perfect storm.

@wright
09-16-2004, 05:44 AM
David, what about the beer? You didn't mention having beer!?!?!

David Pavlich
09-16-2004, 05:55 AM
If any of you are Weather Channel junkies like those of us (Ed, for instance) that live in the tropics, you'll have seen that SE Louisiana, for the most part, was spared. It's still quite breezy here, but the sun is out and all is fine.

We lost power for about 2 hours. And yes, Ed, I did the cool-the-house-down prior to hitting the sack. I've lived in the tropics since '87 so I'm familiar with all those little things to do to weather the storm. I lived in Brandon, just outside of Tampa, for 7 years, btw.

Kirko, the Rabbis have been on the air this morning giving information about which temples are open. Thanks for your thoughts! Pray for those in Alabama.

I took digital pictures of the shop stuff but didn't nail the Aria to the floor. It's heavy enough!

And yes @wright, the beer (Abita Turbodog) survived. Didn't drink any last night since I grilled a pork loin and there is nothing like a nice merlot to go with it.

David

@wright
09-16-2004, 07:15 AM
Turbodog is good beer, I've always liked it. New Orleans should be kissing the ground right now, lucky cajuns!

David Pavlich
09-16-2004, 12:43 PM
Turbodog is good beer, I've always liked it. New Orleans should be kissing the ground right now, lucky cajuns!

No truer words were ever written! We are enormously thankful that Ivan didn't hit here. Many people don't realize what a disaster it would be in New Orleans because of its position between the Mississippi River and Lake Pontchartrain. The levy system would do well with a Cat 1 or 2, but the pumps won't be able to keep up with a Cat 3 or above and would turn the city into a bowl because the levys would hold the water in instead of keeping it out.

The scenario would be what we were looking at in terms of the direction of the hurricane. Ivan was in perfect position to come right up the mouth of the river which is the absolute worst scenario.

When have you had the opportunity to savor a Turbodog? A lot of people don't care for it because it's a dark beer and tends to be a little bitter.

David

Kirko
09-16-2004, 02:48 PM
You made it ! My sister made it thru the last one in Ver Beach,FL . It looked like you were going to get blistered . Take care !

David Pavlich
09-16-2004, 06:14 PM
You made it ! My sister made it thru the last one in Ver Beach,FL . It looked like you were going to get blistered . Take care !

Pray for your sister again. It looks as though Jeanne may be heading for the Atlantic coast line. Pray the thing turns toward the open Atlantic!

David

Deuce
09-19-2004, 09:55 PM
Was Ivan the first hurricane named after a former #1 player?

mlee2
09-20-2004, 04:59 AM
There was probably a hurricane andy or roger as both are pretty common names.

@wright
09-20-2004, 01:09 PM
David, I am a somewhat experienced beer taster, having tried over 150 beers. I could have tried more, but I tend to want to try beers as dark as possible, there are only so many that are readily available here. TurboDog is pretty easily found in Jackson, as you know, we're not that far from Abita Springs. TurboDog is by far my favorite Abita beer. There are many stouts and porters that I like better than Turbodog, but it goes down easy and has plenty of taste. A strong "go to".