PDA

View Full Version : is Hrbaty over-achieving this year? or he's just been under-

hlkimfung
03-13-2004, 04:59 AM
or he's just been under-performing the past few years

I never think Hrbaty is over-achieving when he made the French semi in 99 (beat Rios in qtr, lose to Agassi), and the MonteCarlo final within 12 months

I think he's just ina slump the past few year, with Lapentti, Kiefer, Correjta and Enqvist, but is able to figure out a way to climb back

First saw him in the 97 Aus Open, he was up a break in the fifth agasint Sampras in the 4th rd, swinging Sampras coast to coast.

Contrast to popular belief, which advocate to keep the elbow close to body for better control, and the big wind-up like the Roddicks, Hrbaty seem to have no elbow at all when hitting off the ground. his groundies is hit with almost no elbow tilt, but with excellent control.

so what you think about Hrbaty? he seem to be the iron man after the Y-man, playing 30+ event a year

and which type of forehand is better for control/power/spin, the Roddick/Rosset's windup or the Hrbaty/Norman/Ferreria straight all-way-thru

polakosaur
03-13-2004, 06:55 AM
he's alwasy under achieved so now since he set a baseline standard for himself he's over achieving

Vanja Ljubibratic
03-13-2004, 01:00 PM
I think that Hrbaty's game off the ground is very effective because he can take the ball early and not give away too much ground. I think that his serve, with that unusually-high ball toss has hurt him from getting cheap points. I think that he does everything well, but that he's just lacking that big weapon. He can have really good periods in his game like this year, by winning three tournaments.
I think that it's funny but also ironic that he should be called the next iron man after Kafelnikov, because I think that Hrbaty, along with Sampras, were the only players to have such an overwhelming head-to-head match up with Yevgeny. Well regardless, I hope Hrbaty does well.

@wright
03-13-2004, 01:18 PM
He beat Roddick on clay during Davis Cup last year if that says anything about his ground game. He was serving very well. We all know how streaky his serve can be with that "aiming for birds" ball toss.

Feņa14
03-14-2004, 03:00 AM
I saw him play Srichapan in Dubai, he didn't look particulary special but what he did do he did very well he wasn't a pretty player to watch but he got the job done. I also saw him in Marseille and he was coming to the net with good results so this shows he is a good thinker and has got another plan to go to.

in my opinion he has just matured and has got great confidence at the moment.

Hope this helps!

Liam