PDA

View Full Version : Icy Hot During High School Matches -- Allowed?

Amone
04-17-2007, 08:01 AM
I have been, for quite some time, getting back pains from serving too much or too hard, and the problem hasn't gone away now that I'm playing a match or two a week. The pain goes away with a massage (I really dislike them... I'm slightly ticklish. :p) or Icy Hot, as far as I have experienced. My question is, does anyone here know if Icy Hot, or an Icy Hot patch, is allowed to be applied before a match, and used preventatively during high school matches? I figured I'd ask my coach what he knew on the subject, but I also just wanted to see what kind of feedback I got here.

TennisKevin
04-17-2007, 08:19 AM
i doubt there are any rules against it. it's just the same as getting your ankle taped to prevent a turn/sprain so far as i know, and that's always allowed. i highly doubt there will be a problem

Sakumo
04-22-2007, 06:53 PM
I have been, for quite some time, getting back pains from serving too much or too hard, and the problem hasn't gone away now that I'm playing a match or two a week. The pain goes away with a massage (I really dislike them... I'm slightly ticklish. :p) or Icy Hot, as far as I have experienced. My question is, does anyone here know if Icy Hot, or an Icy Hot patch, is allowed to be applied before a match, and used preventatively during high school matches? I figured I'd ask my coach what he knew on the subject, but I also just wanted to see what kind of feedback I got here.

It's perfectly legal. If your coach says otherwise he is on crack.

kingdaddy41788
04-22-2007, 07:01 PM
Completely legal. And your back hurts because you're serving with your back instead of relaxing and letting your arm motion (and mainly the wrist snapping) do the work. It'll only get worse if you don't learn proper technique.

LarougeNY
04-22-2007, 07:15 PM
It's perfectly legal. If your coach says otherwise he is on crack.
Well put. :) :) :)

thejackal
04-22-2007, 09:09 PM
maybe your toss is too far behind you. try tossing one and seeing where it lands

OrangeOne
04-22-2007, 09:29 PM
Completely legal. And your back hurts because you're serving with your back instead of relaxing and letting your arm motion (and mainly the wrist snapping) do the work. It'll only get worse if you don't learn proper technique.

Arrogance in the extreme.

Have you ever seen the OP serve? Do you know anything about him other than his post?

I hope so, because to assume you can diagnose an issue over the internet is ridiculous, especially because I'm willing to take a guess that you're not a physio, a sports-medico or a neurosurgeon (the medical chain for persistent back pain). Why do I know you're not one of those medical professionals? Because none of them would be arrogant enough to attempt a net diagnosis, full-stop.

Sakumo
04-22-2007, 09:54 PM
Arrogance in the extreme.

Have you ever seen the OP serve? Do you know anything about him other than his post?

I hope so, because to assume you can diagnose an issue over the internet is ridiculous, especially because I'm willing to take a guess that you're not a physio, a sports-medico or a neurosurgeon (the medical chain for persistent back pain). Why do I know you're not one of those medical professionals? Because none of them would be arrogant enough to attempt a net diagnosis, full-stop.

I have to agree.

cereal
04-24-2007, 01:15 PM
sakumo I love you and all if you are an itf player but how do you have all this time to be on here?

shouldnt you be hitting...

Sakumo
04-26-2007, 04:48 PM
sakumo I love you and all if you are an itf player but how do you have all this time to be on here?

shouldnt you be hitting...

Naw, I've got lots of time at hotels and such.

cereal
04-27-2007, 04:50 PM
cool. what city are you in?

cereal
04-27-2007, 04:50 PM
if you dont wanna say im cool with that.

Sakumo
04-27-2007, 05:47 PM
At the moment I am in Georgia looking at colleges, if I go.