PDA

View Full Version : How to serve in windy condition?

a529612
09-15-2004, 10:43 AM
Especially when you are serving into head wind and the ball toss becomes unpredictable?

Rickson
09-15-2004, 11:03 AM
I love serving when it's windy. I use the serve to my advantage. I hit the corners just slightly when the wind is blowing that way, taking the serve very wide after the bounce. If the wind is blowing the other way, say right when serving to the deuce side, I aim only slightly left and watch the wind blow the ball after the bounce up the middle, to the receiver's backhand side.

degreefanlindi
09-15-2004, 12:10 PM
I find it helpful to keep my toss a little lower to make up for the unpredictability of the wind.....with shorter air time, you are better able to get a good read on the location of the ball.

kevhen
09-15-2004, 12:18 PM
When it's too windy, you have to scale back your serve and shorten things up, like your toss and how much power you hit with and try hit safer into the center of the box.

With headwind, I tend to hit more topspin serves so the wind can bend the ball down even more for a higher percentage. Keep the toss low so it's more predictable.

Don't worry about not holding serve as much in windy conditions. Your opponent will struggle holding serve too. Just get as many in and avoid hitting DFs.

I enjoy windy conditions too if it's not too windy and try to use the wind to my advantage hitting more flat serves with the wind and topspin serves into the wind and then more slice serves with side wind to make them bend even more. Playing in the wind means you do need to have an adjustable and flexible toss and service motion. Lots of club players really struggle when playing outdoors in the wind since they aren't so flexible and not use to the conditions.

kreative
09-15-2004, 02:21 PM
low toss, and abreviated motion to cut down on the variables that the wind could affect.

kreative
09-15-2004, 02:22 PM
low toss, and abreviated motion to cut down on the variables that the wind could affect. go for a little more kick, and hit out a little more if the wind is blowing against you.

papa
09-15-2004, 05:06 PM
Yeah, got to keep the toss a little low - at least thats what I do.

Having said that, I think many of us overplay the wind factor. Sure the wind, especially the gusty crap, effects the ball but if you keep your returns (as well as other shots) relatively low, I really don't think the wind is that much of a factor. I have a tendency to overplay the wind also in golf - and get constantly fooled by it.

I have played in conditions where even a low toss can dramatically effect the ball but if the wind is 20 mph+ I don't enjoy the process anyway.

joe sch
09-15-2004, 07:26 PM
Using as low as possible of a toss which will require you speeding up your motion. It also help to be able to twist your body and toss so that you are minimizing the cross wind effects.