PDA

View Full Version : Pete Sampras vs. Alex Correjta US Open 1996 QF

Azzurri
04-18-2007, 12:01 PM
I need some help. I purchased this match a few weeks back and I finally got time to watch it. I saw it live way back in 1996 and always loved this match. Mostly because Pete puked and if I remembered correctly cried as he was about to serve when someone yelled "do it for Tim" his former coach. Somehow I missed that crying part. I thought it was this match...puking then crying and then acing Alex w/a second serve.

Is this the correct match?? If not, any one know which one it was.

If it was the match...when did he cry?

Mikael
04-18-2007, 12:36 PM
No, he cried at the AO Quarterfinals in '95 against Jim Courier. They're both epic matches but you got them mixed up.

kingdaddy41788
04-18-2007, 12:39 PM
No, he cried at the AO Quarterfinals in '95 against Jim Courier. They're both epic matches but you got them mixed up.

I thought this too, but was afraid I might be wrong. If I remember correctly, Courier was a real jerk about it too (though he later apologized).

warreng
04-18-2007, 12:40 PM

Yeah. Easy to mix up. Pete puked both matches too...

Whadda competitor!

Mikael
04-18-2007, 01:03 PM
At one point if I remember right Courier asked Sampras if he was all right and if he wanted to stop playing, and Sampras didn't reply anything, just served an ace!

kingdaddy41788
04-18-2007, 01:06 PM
I think he said something along the lines of "We can stop and play it tomorrow if you want, Pete." rather sarcastically...

pj80
04-18-2007, 02:33 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YAPAULqAuis

drakulie
04-18-2007, 03:43 PM
I think he said something along the lines of "We can stop and play it tomorrow if you want, Pete." rather sarcastically...

yeah, that is what he said>> but he wasn't being sarcastic.

Where the controvesy came into play was after the match. During a press conference he kind of downplayed the whole drama. When asked about Pete crying, the emotions, and still being able to perform he said somthing like::::::

Yeah, he was really feeling bad, crying, and then miraculously he would serve a 120+ mph ace.

kingdaddy41788
04-18-2007, 03:51 PM
I see.........

fastdunn
04-18-2007, 05:30 PM

It did wake Sampras up quickly. He stopped crying after Courier said this.
It snapped him out of it.

Azzurri
04-18-2007, 06:21 PM
Thanks everyone...great utube video. I don't know how I messed up that emotioanl breakdown. I thought it was at the US Open. I have to get my hands on that match.

armand
04-18-2007, 06:50 PM
It did wake Sampras up quickly. He stopped crying after Courier said this.
It snapped him out of it.Yeah, wow. Carillo said during that broadcast how they were good friends and Courier saying this was exactly what Pete needed. Was Courier such a good friend that this is what he meant to do?

And where's the part where the dude in the crowd says "Do it for your coach, Pete!"?

FD3S
04-18-2007, 11:44 PM
Chances are, Courier said it was well as he could have. I mean, look where they were. I think he might have actually been hesitant to say anything, and that came off as sarcasm - one also has to take into account that Courier wasn't the most eloquent speaker. (I remember watching a flashback show - Behind The...something, I think, and there was a theory that Pete took it the wrong way intentionally to get back into the match. Wouldn't be surprised.)

chiru
04-19-2007, 12:28 AM
dont forget. courier and pete were best friends, and courier and tim gullickson were friends too. they were both feelin it out there. thats why i think jim wasn't off the block sayin "i dont feel so good my damn self"

BreakPoint
04-19-2007, 12:36 AM
Courier was actually being serious and meant it. He and Sampras are very good friends.

laurie
04-19-2007, 05:20 AM
Yeah, wow. Carillo said during that broadcast how they were good friends and Courier saying this was exactly what Pete needed. Was Courier such a good friend that this is what he meant to do?

And where's the part where the dude in the crowd says "Do it for your coach, Pete!"?

Sampras was interviewed on BBC sports interview show called "Extra Time" in 2003 by Rob Bonnet.

Sampras said in that interview he never heard a shout from someone in the crowd, he thought that was media made. He said he started thinking about Tim and how Tim would tell him to fight during difficult moments and he said thinking what Tim used to say to him and coming from two sets down and fighting hard and Tim's condition it got too much for him. I have the interview at home on disc.

drakulie
04-19-2007, 06:33 AM
^^^^ Laurie, do you have anything from when Courier was interviewed after the match??

Azzurri
04-19-2007, 10:01 AM
Sampras was interviewed on BBC sports interview show called "Extra Time" in 2003 by Rob Bonnet.

Sampras said in that interview he never heard a shout from someone in the crowd, he thought that was media made. He said he started thinking about Tim and how Tim would tell him to fight during difficult moments and he said thinking what Tim used to say to him and coming from two sets down and fighting hard and Tim's condition it got too much for him. I have the interview at home on disc.

Odd....I thought I heard someone shout "do it for Tim"....maybe I read that back in 95 and over the years thought I heard it. It was just an amazing match. I know of a place that sells lots of matches. I will make an order soon.

drakulie
04-19-2007, 10:24 AM
^^^ You can hear it. Someone shouts that out.

Sampras says HE didn't hear it.

laurie
04-19-2007, 10:49 AM
Hi Drakulie. I don't have anything of Jim Courier's press conference but I have heard Courier calling Sampras a good actor.

As you say, Sampras says he never heard the shout. That's not to say there wasn't a shout.

Moose Malloy
04-19-2007, 11:09 AM
I don't think Courier was being genuinely concerned when he said that, it was early in the 5th set of a GS QF, he had just blown a 2 set lead, he was ****ed. Sampras has said many times in interviews since that he thought Courier was being sarcastic when he said "we can do this tomorrow" and it fired him up. I doubt Courier would ever admit to why he said it, he's probably not proud of it(& feels foolish that he inadvertenly made Pete play better)

In Courier's defense, I'm not sure he knew what to think, it was so bizare, nothing like it had ever happened to anyone before. Players get POed all the time when "injured" players are running like nothing is wrong, so Courier was sort of getting annoyed by someone acing him with tears running down his face.

He is a very intense guy(the laidback commentator/senior tennis Courier of today is nothing like the Courier of back then, even he admits he was a jerk, only cared about himself when he played, hated the media, his responsibilities to the game/fans/etc.)
Also I've read interviews from around '93, when sampras & courier were battling for #1, when both said they weren't really close friends anymore, because they thought it was impossible to be friends at the top of the game. Courier mentioned in commentary at matches in '01/'02 that his friendship w/Sampras improved after he retired. Sampras was an isolated champion, he didn't want to be friends with his rivals(he even stayed in a separate area of the stadium before big matches, not wanting to be in the same lockeroom with his opponent) Even Federer says that he doesn't have many memories of Sampras when they were both on tour, since "Pete was never around."

Also, I recently watched the '96 FO QF, in which sampras(again) came back from 2-0 to beat Courier, Courier was not happy & barely looked at Sampras at the handshake. In the 5th set, the mics picked up some less than friendly comments from Courier, he said, "just like f'ng Wimbledon, guy looks like he's falling over & he's still serving bullets" I think a lot of players thought sampras was a drama queen/faker, its hard to get beat so many times by someone who looks like they are dying on the court.

BTW, regardless of the "crying" drama, I think the '95 AO match is one of the highest quality matches ever played(still holds up today, both guys are absolutely unloading on the ball with very little errors)
Corretja-Sampras had drama, but the quality wasn't nearly as high as Australia.
Its amazing that Sampras could come back after losing the 1st 2 sets in tiebreakers! Most would get very discouraged at not winning at least one of those very close 2 sets, esp since sampras was playing well in those sets, not getting blown out. Courier played possibly the best tennis he ever played in that match & still came up short.

laurie
04-19-2007, 11:28 AM
I don't think Courier was being genuinely concerned when he said that, it was early in the 5th set of a GS QF, he had just blown a 2 set lead, he was ****ed. Sampras has said many times in interviews since that he thought Courier was being sarcastic when he said "we can do this tomorrow" and it fired him up. I doubt Courier would ever admit to why he said it, he's probably not proud of it(& feels foolish that he inadvertenly made Pete play better)

In Courier's defense, I'm not sure he knew what to think, it was so bizare, nothing like it had ever happened to anyone before. Players get POed all the time when "injured" players are running like nothing is wrong, so Courier was sort of getting annoyed by someone acing him with tears running down his face.

He is a very intense guy(the laidback commentator/senior tennis Courier of today is nothing like the Courier of back then, even he admits he was a jerk, only cared about himself when he played, hated the media, his responsibilities to the game/fans/etc.)
Also I've read interviews from around '93, when sampras & courier were battling for #1, when both said they weren't really close friends anymore, because they thought it was impossible to be friends at the top of the game. Courier mentioned in commentary at matches in '01/'02 that his friendship w/Sampras improved after he retired. Sampras was an isolated champion, he didn't want to be friends with his rivals(he even stayed in a separate area of the stadium before big matches, not wanting to be in the same lockeroom with his opponent) Even Federer says that he doesn't have many memories of Sampras when they were both on tour, since "Pete was never around."

Also, I recently watched the '96 FO QF, in which sampras(again) came back from 2-0 to beat Courier, Courier was not happy & barely looked at Sampras at the handshake. In the 5th set, the mics picked up some less than friendly comments from Courier, he said, "just like f'ng Wimbledon, guy looks like he's falling over & he's still serving bullets" I think a lot of players thought sampras was a drama queen/faker, its hard to get beat so many times by someone who looks like they are dying on the court.

BTW, regardless of the "crying" drama, I think the '95 AO match is one of the highest quality matches ever played(still holds up today, both guys are absolutely unloading on the ball with very little errors)
Its amazing that Sampras could come back after losing the 1st 2 sets in tiebreakers! Most would get very discouraged at not winning at least one of those very close 2 sets, esp since sampras was playing well in those sets, not getting blown out. Courier played possibly the best tennis he ever played in that match & still came up short.

I'm amazed how hard they hit the ball that 4 hrs - bludgeoned the ball even.

Similar to today, slower surface, have to hit the ball harder to create openings.

Azzurri
04-21-2007, 06:07 PM

To confirm....Courier thought Pete was "faking" it on the court or being dramatic?

Moose Malloy
04-23-2007, 11:03 AM
To confirm....Courier thought Pete was "faking" it on the court or being dramatic?

Well I think laurie said Courier said "Pete is a good actor" on multiple occasions, so yeah. They are good friends now, so bygones are bygones.
As far as the AO match, who knows why Courier said that. It was the heat of the moment, I'm not sure he thought about it. Sampras was taking a lot of time in between serves, & Courier probably thought it wouldn't be wise to complain to the umpire(crowd would have gotten on him), so maybe he thought saying something to Pete would cause him to play at an acceptable pace(& it worked)

As far as the FO match, Pete's anemia is a real affliction that often affected him in long matches under hot conditions, but there have been many opponents who weren't exactly happy to lose to someone who looked like they were on their death bed, like Courier that day. I remember shortly after the Corretja match, many fans accused sampras of being a drama queen/faker(tennis magazine published quite a few of them in their letters to the editor section)

Also, when Sampras sprained his ankle in 2000 Wimbledon(the tournament that brought him his record 13th slam) in an early round match, there was speculation that he would withdraw or be ousted (since he couldn't practice at all & had to undergoe some pretty extreme measures just to be able to take the court) in his next match. He beat Bjorkman in straight sets, & Jonas didn't look at Sampras at all at the handshake. When asked about it in the press conference, Sampras said something to the effect that Bjorkman probably thought his injury wasn't real.

krosero
04-23-2007, 01:59 PM
I remember shortly after the Corretja match, many fans accused sampras of being a drama queen/faker(tennis magazine published quite a few of them in their letters to the editor section)This seems so unfair. How do fake vomiting?

laurie
04-23-2007, 03:06 PM
Well I think laurie said Courier said "Pete is a good actor" on multiple occasions, so yeah. They are good friends now, so bygones are bygones.
As far as the AO match, who knows why Courier said that. It was the heat of the moment, I'm not sure he thought about it. Sampras was taking a lot of time in between serves, & Courier probably thought it wouldn't be wise to complain to the umpire(crowd would have gotten on him), so maybe he thought saying something to Pete would cause him to play at an acceptable pace(& it worked)

As far as the FO match, Pete's anemia is a real affliction that often affected him in long matches under hot conditions, but there have been many opponents who weren't exactly happy to lose to someone who looked like they were on their death bed, like Courier that day. I remember shortly after the Corretja match, many fans accused sampras of being a drama queen/faker(tennis magazine published quite a few of them in their letters to the editor section)

Also, when Sampras sprained his ankle in 2000 Wimbledon(the tournament that brought him his record 13th slam) in an early round match, there was speculation that he would withdraw or be ousted (since he couldn't practice at all & had to undergoe some pretty extreme measures just to be able to take the court) in his next match. He beat Bjorkman in straight sets, & Jonas didn't look at Sampras at all at the handshake. When asked about it in the press conference, Sampras said something to the effect that Bjorkman probably thought his injury wasn't real.

What ****ed Bjorkman off was Pete played some brilliant Tennis in that match. In fact, against Kucera in the 2nd rd, Sampras was actually struggling, turns his ankle in the 3rd set or late in the 2nd, gets treatment then goes on to dismiss Kucera really quickly after that.

The man is a legend.

Azzurri
04-24-2007, 06:16 PM

Thanks Moose. I remember Pete getting some flak. Considering the fact he threw up and has a blood disorder, I never thought he was faking.