PDA

View Full Version : Sampras & Courier to play Athens...at last a real Senior tour in Europe

classic tennis
04-19-2007, 05:11 AM
Just read on Bob Larsons site that Sampras & Jim Couriers tour are to touch down in Athens, at last we can get over & watch some quality senior matches unlike the failing ATP Blackrock thingy.
Good to see.

dommod
04-19-2007, 10:24 AM
It would be even better to see the great Borg play again someday.

classic tennis
04-29-2007, 03:21 AM
They need to make it more like the PGA senior tour (which is a success & the ATP seniors apart from the Albert Hall event is not), at the moment you have guy's ranging in age from 30 to almost 50! It's a bit of a joke & known more for just for trick shots & clowning around.

Moose Malloy
05-16-2007, 03:27 PM
It starts tomorrow, anyone able to watch this?

http://www.athenschampionscup.gr/en/home.html

Group A
Sampras
Courier
Cash
Ferreira

Group B
Larsson
Krajicek
Martin
Jarryd

armand
05-16-2007, 03:35 PM
"I was actually approached to play for Greece when I was 17," Sampras said. "I was in Germany, just turned pro, someone approached my Dad, but nothing came of it."
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/tennis/05/16/bc.ten.outbackchampions.ap/index.html
Philippoussis was supposed to play this too?? Well he and Wilander seemed to have pulled up lame.

[aside: Sports Illustrated has a very nice tennis section, my choice for tennis news]

Moose Malloy
05-17-2007, 02:41 PM
Sampras d Ferreira 63, 7-6(1) today, he had 21 aces!

http://www.athenschampionscup.gr/en/news.html

christo
05-17-2007, 09:49 PM
and Scud bailed so he could hit on 13 chicks! No wonder he was exhausted.

EZRA
05-18-2007, 03:38 AM
That's why Jim Courier has been practicing a lot lately... I saw him hitting several at Tennisport .. just saw him last week actually ... right beside the court I was playing at (USTA League match)

austro
05-18-2007, 05:15 AM
Why is the Blackrock tour failing? It's doing pretty well, with solid attendance from both players and spectators. Just not popular in the States where they decided to run a different one for some reason.

Mark Vessels
05-18-2007, 05:27 AM
Just read on Bob Larsons site that Sampras & Jim Couriers tour are to touch down in Athens, at last we can get over & watch some quality senior matches unlike the failing ATP Blackrock thingy.
Good to see.

ITS LIKE THE OLYMPICS FOR OLD PEOPLE! SWEET :grin:

Moose Malloy
05-18-2007, 09:10 AM
MARTIN def. LARSSON 2-1 (4-6, 7-5, 10-4)

Martin had 23 aces, Larsson 15.

TODD MARTIN:

''Magnus has always been the one player who would cause me most trouble. He still does. No-one gives me more trouble than him ‘cause he has a funny way of always being able to predict what my next move will be. Out of all my opponents, Larsson is the one who gets me backed into a corner more easily. Luckily, today I was able to beat him. I served well all day and was able to make him squirm a bit, despite the fact that he seemed to control the pace. As the days go by, we get used to the court and play better. A ‘fast’ court may be more difficult to play on, but also makes you be on alert all the time and this is good. Magnus and I joke about during the matches. We usually try to decide who looks funnier on the court!''

tHotGates
05-18-2007, 09:41 AM
Check out the gallery .... Pete's racquet is now black.

Moose Malloy
05-18-2007, 09:43 AM
Check out the gallery .... Pete's racquet is now black.

that picture is from the 2002 US Open

malakas
05-18-2007, 09:44 AM
I am watching now Cash vs Sampras!!:)

Damn I should have travelled down to Athens for this!:mad: :(

Moose Malloy
05-18-2007, 12:16 PM
SAMPRAS def. CASH 7-6, 6-2

''Cash is a very experienced player. It was really tough for me to break his serve. He had some great returns. And even at the age of 42 he still moves very well on court. He had some very good serves, but in the second set I served well too and managed to make the break early on. As far as Cash’s relationship with the fans is concerned, I have to admit he is a charismatic guy. He still plays tennis very well, but is an entertainer, too.''

http://www.athenschampionscup.gr/en/news.html

Rabbit
05-18-2007, 12:34 PM
MARTIN def. LARSSON 2-1 (4-6, 7-5, 10-4)

Martin had 23 aces, Larsson 15.

TODD MARTIN:

''Magnus has always been the one player who would cause me most trouble. He still does. No-one gives me more trouble than him ‘cause he has a funny way of always being able to predict what my next move will be. Out of all my opponents, Larsson is the one who gets me backed into a corner more easily. Luckily, today I was able to beat him. I served well all day and was able to make him squirm a bit, despite the fact that he seemed to control the pace. As the days go by, we get used to the court and play better. A ‘fast’ court may be more difficult to play on, but also makes you be on alert all the time and this is good. Magnus and I joke about during the matches. We usually try to decide who looks funnier on the court!''

When they played in Memphis, the arena resounded to the straings of "Short People" by Randy Newman. Larsson and Martin gave them a thumbs up. (Larsson is 6'5" and Martin is 6'6")

Hey, what was Cash playing with? A Dunlop by chance?

tHotGates
05-18-2007, 03:10 PM
that picture is from the 2002 US Open

LOL. I was originally going to add to that comment how Pete's hair looks a little more thicker/fuller. :-D

I wish someone could post some video clips of Pete's Sr. matches. For those folks who have seen him on his recent return, do his strokes look better than ATP Pete? Sampras has said he is hitting the ball better today than in his prime & minus the video footage I would really like some feedback by people who have seen him play. Thanks.

laurie
05-20-2007, 03:11 AM
It starts tomorrow, anyone able to watch this?

http://www.athenschampionscup.gr/en/home.html

Group A
Sampras
Courier
Cash
Ferreira

Group B
Larsson
Krajicek
Martin
Jarryd

This is a very nice website. Sampras plays Todd Martin in the final around now.

classic tennis
05-20-2007, 04:15 AM
Why is the Blackrock tour failing? It's doing pretty well, with solid attendance from both players and spectators. Just not popular in the States where they decided to run a different one for some reason.

It's just based in a few European places & The Outback tour appears to be more International. Also they play for prize money......not just appearance money.

vive le beau jeu !
05-20-2007, 09:10 AM
pete beats the lumberjack courier in 2 sets... 62 64 ! :D
final vs martin... 2 matches the same day for sampras ?

TheNatural
05-20-2007, 10:24 AM
its all over, Sampras won 6-3 1-6 10-6